Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Old Red Guard and Sun Deck be merged into one baseball forum?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the idea of having one forum where everyone can discuss baseball

67 38.73%
  • No, I like things the way they currently are

106 61.27%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

All,

GIK and I have recently spoken and are considering merging the Old Red Guard and Sun Deck forums into one forum and want to get your thoughts on the idea (whether via a vote or response to this post). If we do decide to do this, please be well aware the forum would be run using current ORG moderation guidelines (i.e. stricter than the Sun Deck has historically been). If anyone cannot adapt to those rules, they would be subject to disciplinary measures up to a permanent ban from the site. Additionally, please note that the results of these polls will not necessarily determine if we make the change - we simply want to measure the level of interest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible ORG/Sun Deck Merge - Are you in Favor?

This is gonna be a long thread. Lol!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I think there are some good topics in the Sun Deck. I read both forums and would enjoy the opportunity to respond Sun Deck members. We are all Reds Fans or we would not be on here.

Set the rules and if we can't all be mature Fans then boot them and we carry on.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I have accidentally entered the Sun Deck game threads thinking that I was entering the ORG game threads. All I can say is that the type of posting going on in the Sun Deck game threads is similar to what folks over here were mocking on the stl.today forums.

With that said, the separation of the two has not seemed to raise the level of discourse on the ORG board, which was the intended purpose. So perhaps the rejoining of the two will revive the Board into one of the best on the internet as it was.

Ironically, the board was best when the team was bad, and vice versa.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I think the forums need to undergo renovation or there needs to be a way to allow more people to enter the ORG.

IMHO, the quality of discussion in the ORG would benefit by allowing new voices to also contribute.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Let me add a suggestion if the idea is improving the board: reaching out to folks who left the board for one reason or another, whether they were banned or otherwise. I'm thinking of folks like SteelSD, Falls City Beer, Princeton, Creek, Rosie Red...the place is not better without them. We all can be abrasive at times, even to the point of annoyance and needing disciplined. The funny thing is that I grappled with these folks over many issues, but they made me think about my positions, and sometimes I changed them because I was wrong. If it is folks who were banned for "fighting," give them a short rope.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think the forums need to undergo renovation or there needs to be a way to allow more people to enter the ORG.

IMHO, the quality of discussion in the ORG would benefit by allowing new voices to also contribute.
    I voted no, but I agree with this. Even something like a review after the posters first 20 posts or something. More voices would be good, but not unfettered access.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Yes
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Ironically, the board was best when the team was bad, and vice versa.

That's because when the team is going bad the bandwagon jumpers are gone, and the more serious fans stay.

Winning always brings out the more casual fan who expect winning as a matter of course.

I'm not sure if there is actually that much difference between the two boards, they are largely unreadable anway. If you sift through a game thread where we actually win, 80-90% of the posts are usually negative.

I love the idea. Sure, I could see more headaches at first, but I agree that the board was at its best when we had more voices sharing in the discussion.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

There is a big difference in what is posted about and the general tone of the posters between SD and ORG. I see gross negativity in the SD, but all I see on the ORG is worrying. I don't believe it's negative to worry abut what is going to happen in a specific situation out loud, because that's what fans do, but consider last night's game thread over in the SD where the debate went on about Jay Bruce hitting bottom after he had just gone 2-3 with a HR and a double or the one saying Jay wasn't young anymore and I think you'll see the difference.

I voted no, but I do think we could ease the process for entering into the ORG just a bit.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 07-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This might be impossible but if there's a way to implement poster-level "community policing" that won't be abused (and this should be the case even without merging the two forums), that would be super.

And develop faster than light travel and personal jetpacks, please.

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Maybe there could be an arrangement where ORG posters are allowed to make say 20 posts per week in the Sun Deck? Sun Deck posters could make 10 posts per week in the ORG. Get some cross-pollination going. It gives us an opportunity to get introduced to the newer members and vice versa. It would help us determine who is a good candidate to come to the ORG and it would allow the ORG members to set a good example for the SunDeckers (hopefully) so they can see the ORG standards in action.

Some fresh opinions help get the conversation going. Adding a few banana phone callers into this stale environment might do wonders to unite us bickering old regulars to "educate" the newbies that have not yet been indoctrinated/brainwashed.

(By the way, I am not saying that SunDeckers are like banana phone callers.)

The standard for admission to the ORG could be lowered with the idea of only keeping out the wackos and blowhards but allowing any sane person entry. Entry into the ORG should be based on the poster's civility rather than his opinions or understanding of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    This might be impossible but if there's a way to implement poster-level "community policing" that won't be abused (and this should be the case even without merging the two forums), that would be super.
    Can you please expand on that little? I think we briefly discussed this in another thread, but you don't have something like the old reputation system in mind, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Maybe there could be an arrangement where ORG posters are allowed to make say 20 posts per week in the Sun Deck? Sun Deck posters could make 10 posts per week in the ORG. Get some cross-pollination going. It gives us an opportunity to get introduced to the newer members and vice versa. It would help us determine who is a good candidate to come to the ORG and it would allow the ORG members to set a good example for the SunDeckers (hopefully) so they can see the ORG standards in action.

Some fresh opinions help get the conversation going. Adding a few banana phone callers into this stale environment might do wonders to unite us bickering old regulars to "educate" the newbies that have not yet been indoctrinated/brainwashed.

(By the way, I am not saying that SunDeckers are like banana phone callers.)

The standard for admission to the ORG could be lowered with the idea of only keeping out the wackos and blowhards but allowing any sane person entry. Entry into the ORG should be based on the poster's civility rather than his opinions or understanding of baseball.
    The posting limit is not a bad idea, but I don't believe there's anything we can do within the vB software to allow for those restrictions.

Turn Off Ads?