Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staff ERA

Staff ERA

I haven't paid too much attention to team stats recently, but was looking through them tonight and was somewhat surprised to find that the Reds were third in MLB in ERA with a 3.33 mark (behind only Washington [3.28] and Los Angeles [3.30]). They're also leading MLB in CG's with 7.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Staff ERA

I haven't checked in probably a week or 10 days, but last I knew, the Reds led the Majors in strikeout-walk ratio as well.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Brian Price has done a wonderful job with the Staff. His continued employment with the Reds needs to be a priority.

Jacoby on the other hand...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I think we have a better staff than the Dodgers (even though Kershaw is better than anyone on the Reds staff).
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Never thought I'd see the day when the Reds pitching staff is more exciting and more often than not, more enjoyable, than the Reds offense. I like seeing the guys hit and all but I absolutely love this pitching staff this year. They're just great.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day when the Reds pitching staff is more exciting and more often than not, more enjoyable, than the Reds offense. I like seeing the guys hit and all but I absolutely love this pitching staff this year. They're just great.
    After nearly 50 years, I agree with you Heather (yes, I'm old.). Pitching and the Reds? What a foreign concept. But I like it.

BTW, I started out really young. I was born into this fandom
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

My cousin invited me to a gathering at that private baseball museum in Montgomery (Green Diamond Gallery) with Tommy Helms and Lee May speaking. A number of retired players were there including Jim O'Toole who I sat with briefly. Now this was a couple of years ago when this staff was just starting to come on the horizon, but I asked him if he thought this was the best group of pitchers the club has had since his in the early 1960's. He agreed and that's before these guys had matured and come into their own. I think it may have been back in the early part of the 2010 season.

Some of the more expert historians on RZ can clarify this, but when I think of Reds pitch eras, you both are right, it's not a large number of squads who had great pitching. In my lifetime, it's probably the aforementioned 1960-1963 (?) staffs, then you have to jump back to the pennant winning teams in the late 30's and early 40's, again just moments, if you will, not long years of good pitching. Then you're looking at a handful of very good pitchers with teams that couldn't buy a hit even if they offered hard liquor! Pitch has rarely been our forte clearly.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Also 4th in FIP and 5th in xFIP; the pitching's been pretty good.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Reds ERA+ is 126, which leads all of baseball. The Nationals are at 122 and Texas is at 120. No one else is at 120.

Top to bottom this is by far the best Reds staff I have ever seen.

Certainly teams with better pitchers, but as a staff.....wow.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

We have the staff to grind it out. Whatever they do on the trade situation, I hope they don't disturb the staff, especially the rotation.
    Last edited by HokieRed; 07-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I haven't paid too much attention to team stats recently, but was looking through them tonight and was somewhat surprised to find that the Reds were third in MLB in ERA with a 3.33 mark (behind only Washington [3.28] and Los Angeles [3.30]). They're also leading MLB in CG's with 7.
    I do a thread every ten games that goes through many of the team stats. Feel free to take a peek to keep up to date.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Every member of the rotation has a CG -- I can't remember the last time that's happened for a Reds staff.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Brian Price has done a wonderful job with the Staff. His continued employment with the Reds needs to be a priority.

Jacoby on the other hand...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My cousin invited me to a gathering at that private baseball museum in Montgomery (Green Diamond Gallery) with Tommy Helms and Lee May speaking. A number of retired players were there including Jim O'Toole who I sat with briefly. Now this was a couple of years ago when this staff was just starting to come on the horizon, but I asked him if he thought this was the best group of pitchers the club has had since his in the early 1960's. He agreed and that's before these guys had matured and come into their own. I think it may have been back in the early part of the 2010 season.

Some of the more expert historians on RZ can clarify this, but when I think of Reds pitch eras, you both are right, it's not a large number of squads who had great pitching. In my lifetime, it's probably the aforementioned 1960-1963 (?) staffs, then you have to jump back to the pennant winning teams in the late 30's and early 40's, again just moments, if you will, not long years of good pitching. Then you're looking at a handful of very good pitchers with teams that couldn't buy a hit even if they offered hard liquor! Pitch has rarely been our forte clearly.
    That 88'-90' staff wasn't too bad. Rijo-Jackson-Browning was pretty doggone good and the pen was of course Nasty.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?