Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto injury a blessing in disguise?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Votto injury a blessing in disguise?

To me this is a blessing in disguise for this team. Now that other players HAVE to step up for this team to succeed I think they are more focused. I know it shouldn't be that way, but it is. If we are within a game of 1st or even leading when we get Votto back, it will be like adding a big time trade piece. I have been pleasantly suprised by the way this team has played since Joey went down.

GO REDS!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds and 26.2's

Re: Votto injury a blessing in disguise?

You may be right, but I'd still rather have Votto out there.

Keeping every team under 4 runs has been helpful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    You may be right, but I'd still rather have Votto out there.
    Don't get me wrong, I would rather have Votto out there also. But the team has been playing better as a TEAM and not just having Joey and Brandon contribute. Like I said, if they can tread water and be in 1st or a game out when Votto comes back, we will be looking good I think.

It's been 6 games. Lets wait until they get closer to the end of the injury and see if they can keep it up. St Louis started like a ball of fire without Pujols too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Keeping every team under 4 runs has been helpful as well.
    Isn't that the whole point in having a good pitching staff. I'm just saying that as a team we have been playing pretty good since Joey went down.

The only blessing was it wasn't more serious, pitching has been stellar, and the current teams we are playing...after today the next 10 are 3 @ Hou, 3 @ Col, to return home with 4 against SD which will be followed by a 3 game series with the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Isn't that the whole point in having a good pitching staff. I'm just saying that as a team we have been playing pretty good since Joey went down.
    As we were the 10 games he played injured and wasn't hitting much.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    The only blessing was it wasn't more serious, pitching has been stellar, and the current teams we are playing...after today the next 10 are 3 @ Hou, 3 @ Col, to return home with 4 against SD which will be followed by a 3 game series with the Pirates.
    I know it's hard for people to stay positive on this board, but this team has played better since Joey went down and if they can be in 1st place or close when he comes back then all the better. I know this is week 1 of him being gone, but it's a good start. Maybe I will be eating crow when he comes back, or maybe the negative Nancies will.

I know it's hard for people to stay positive on this board, but this team has played better since Joey went down and if they can be in 1st place or close when he comes back then all the better. I know this is week 1 of him being gone, but it's a good start. Maybe I will be eating crow when he comes back, or maybe the negative Nancies will.
    I see what you are saying but I do not feel it is a blessing in disguise.how is that negative?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    Would like an 8-5 in that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I see what you are saying but I do not feel it is a blessing in disguise.how is that negative?
    It wasn't you... just responding to what someone else had said. I didn't find your post negative or anything. I knew that not everyone would see it the way I did.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have Votto out there also. But the team has been playing better as a TEAM and not just having Joey and Brandon contribute. Like I said, if they can tread water and be in 1st or a game out when Votto comes back, we will be looking good I think.
    I agree. I think the team have "ramped up" the concentration and intensity since the injury. It's great to see.

They should have had a similar level of intensity all along, which is one of my leading complaints against Dusty's leadership.

But it's still great to see, AND I give Dusty credit for doing a much better job so far this season than last, and for getting the team to "jack it up" at the right time now.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    I agree. I think the team have "ramped up" the concentration and intensity since the injury. It's great to see.

They should have had a similar level of intensity all along, which is one of my leading complaints against Dusty's leadership.

But it's still great to see, AND I give Dusty credit for doing a much better job so far this season than last, and for getting the team to "jack it up" at the right time now.
    Yeah that was part of my initial post in this thread, about it shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately it is. Not just with this team, but in sports in general. I think part of it is Dusty, and I'm usually a Dusty supporter(or apologist, depends on who you ask), but it is also on the leaders of the team like Jay Bruce, Rolen, Phillips, and Votto. I woulda love for Votto to never get hurt and am very glad it wasn't more serious, but like I said earlier, to me this a good that they have rallied and started playing better as a team. I know it's week 1 of 3-4, but it's a start.

It wasn't you... just responding to what someone else had said. I didn't find your post negative or anything. I knew that not everyone would see it the way I did.
    I do think it is great that Rolen has got it together while Phillips has taken this team on his back with Votto out. Ludwick is not a surprise to me, he is getting consistent playing time and is performing. Frazier has played well at first, I could go on and on.....but do not look as Votto getting hurt as a "blessing". I don't think I'm a negative nancy...your words....for saying the blessing was that the injury was not more serious and comes at this point of the schedule rather than say the last 3/4 weeks of the season or during the west coast trip. One blessing I guess is that Votto gets a chance to recharge mentally....the guy is an extreme competitor that I expect to come back on fire.

Turn Off Ads?