Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto No Longer Using Crutches, Could Return Early

Votto No Longer Using Crutches, Could Return Early

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

He's off his crutches less than a week after surgery. In no way do I want his return expedited or premature, but to no surprise he's busting his butt with rehab & exercising the knee. He even thinks he could return early.

Just glad to see Mr. Votto doing what he does best: Work.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto No Longer Using Crutches, Could Return Early

Votto is in peak performance shape - I would not be surprised to see him back early.

Medical experts: what is the threat of re-injuring this knee? The Reds absolutely have to err on the side of caution.

Who needs Votto?! We're better without him!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Who needs Votto?! We're better without him!
    I know you're kidding, but I have seen over the years many teams that do very well when the superstar goes down. I guess it's a wake-up call. As long as the Reds are winning like they are, I say give him all the time they can.

I am no medical expert - but I have watched (observation room) Dr. Kremchek do torn menicus surgery as he did my wife's surgery last year (she has had both knees done as she is a competitive volleyball player). Not entirely sure - but from my understanding a typically torn menicus involved basically "trimming" the tissue in the knee and flushing the knee out to get any particulate matter out. The rehab - which Beacon Ortho has the best in Cincy by far (I 've evaluated everyone) - is aggressive to strengthen the knee back. With Joey being a workout type guy - I m guessing the chances of re-injuring the knee are slim - additionally with fact that it was an "awkward" slide that caused the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I know you're kidding, but I have seen over the years many teams that do very well when the superstar goes down. I guess it's a wake-up call. As long as the Reds are winning like they are, I say give him all the time they can.
    Yea I was obviously kidding, but I could definitely see his injury being a positive for the rest of the season as long as he can come back healthy. It's forced other guys to step up and the team has really risen to the challenge, especially Rolen. It will be huge if he can continue to produce the rest of the season.

Honestly he can take all the time he needs. We should be thanking the baseball gods he didn't also tear his MCL/PCL depending on which side of the knee he did. I had partially torn my MCL and Meniscus back in February and I am just now feeling normal. Normal meaning having strength back in my quad/calf because when you injure your knee you aren't just worrying about the strength of the tendons but the muscles surrounding those tendons as well. Mr. Votto will be back sooner since he has professional med/training team but I just want him back at 100% not at 90%.
    The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! -Bret Hart

Today marks one week (seems more like a month) after his surgery. I wonder if we see his first game back against the Pirates. It would be at the 2 week, 3 day mark. Seems a little soon to be back at 100% but its plausible that he'd be close to it. I wonder what Joey, Dusty, and the FO will decide. (I'm not even sure if the FO has a say in what happens?)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The way this team has stepped up in his absence, I say take as much time as necessary and come back 100% Absolutely no need to rush him back.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

As others have noted this will end up being a good thing for the Reds. Our best player is getting some good rest to prepare for the stretch run and a lot of other people have really stepped up offensively - primarily Phillips and Ludwick and basically our entire pitching staff.

The only downside to me is the impact on Rolen. He obviously has to play a bit more with Votto out and I'd love to see him rest 2-3 days a week until September. If Ludwick, Frazier and Phillips keep hitting how they currently are and Votto keeps being Votto and Bruce does anything, then we won't depend on Rolen offensively and he can focus on leadership/defense.

When votto comes back, this team is going to explode! Imagine our team is already winning and playing great then adding a huge bat like votto back in the middle of the line up.. it's gonna be nice end of the season!

Starting to look like the recipe of a WINNER!

Trouble comes, step up, overcome! Seen it many time before from teams that succeed.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    Medical experts: what is the threat of re-injuring this knee? The Reds absolutely have to err on the side of caution.
    Has anyone posted the operative report? Any discussion of the injury, location, severity of the tear? Usually low risk for re-injury but every case is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Helms1 View Post
    Has anyone posted the operative report? Any discussion of the injury, location, severity of the tear? Usually low risk for re-injury but every case is unique.
    Low risk is good to hear. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?