Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton continuing to excel at AA

Billy Hamilton continuing to excel at AA

Not sure if this could have gone in another topic, but I didn't see much talk about him since his recent move to AA. He's actually OPSing higher than he was in high A ball (though he's 8 - 4 in sb/cs.) I think the biggest concern about his ability to move up to the majors was about whether or not he could adapt to better pitching as he moved up. After a rough couple first games it seems like he's been adapting pretty well so far -- hopefully it continues.

Obviously small sample size and all, but it's great to see.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton continuing to excel at AA

Lets give him at least a month before any proclomations. Not really thread worthy yet but nice to see him still hitting so far.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

As you said, small sample size and all disclaimers, but if this continues for another month or two you have to think he becomes a top 10 prospect in the game- and I am not as high on Hamilton as most.

If Billy can keep an OBP above .400 (or even .380) in Pensacola for the rest of the year, I will definitely be a believer. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't be at that point.
    Go BLUE!!!

The stories are growing at a Coombsian rate.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ord/index.html

The most unbelievable thing DeShields saw Billy do happened last year during spring training. "There was a ball hit to deep to leftfield, and the leftfielder throws his hands up because he's lost the ball in the sun," says Deshields. "I'm watching the ball, and thinking, This is trouble, and out of nowhere, I see this white flash, and I see that it's Billy, and he's running full speed. He ends up diving, laying out completely, and makes the catch at the warning track in leftfield. It was ridiculous. There isn't a player out there who would have caught that ball."
    His old little league coach, Jim Ford, likes to tell the story of the time he took Billy and his little league teammates bowling. "Billy was 13 and had never bowled before," says Ford. "He was like, 'So you put your fingers in the ball, you try to knock down those pins, and you get, what, two chances? Okay.' His first four rolls were strikes. He had a ridiculous score. I still have the card."
    Billy was All-State at Taylorsville High School in baseball, basketball and football. He was a wideout and kick returner who turned down a football scholarship to Mississippi State. "Every offensive play was designed around Billy," says one of his old football coaches, Dusty Hillman, who was also his manager on the baseball team. "In practice he'd run backwards and guys still couldn't cover him. He was by far the fastest player I've ever seen."

Man, it would be cool to have Billy's legs for a day and just run around.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Man, it would be cool to have Billy's legs for a day and just run around.
    I imagine his legs would look silly on 99% of us.

That's okay, I'd wear long shorts and high socks. Maybe throw on a cape.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    That's okay, I'd wear long shorts and high socks. Maybe throw on a cape.
    Liar. You would absolutely throw on a cape.

I wonder what he'd run the 40 in/how his speed compares to some NFL WR and DBs.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hamilton is good for baseball. Its great example on why teams like the Braves tok Dennis Dixon ( Oregon Ducks), the Rockies took Micheal Vick, and my favorite Patrick White who was drafted three times. I wonder how many athletes are out there focusing on the wrong sport.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Billy Hamilton is so fast he watches 60 minutes in half an hour.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Liar. You would absolutely throw on a cape.
    True. I'd race cars at stop signs for starters. That cape would look impressive for jumping off stuff at full speed.

Really, Billy should just wear the cape. That's what should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here let me Google that for you
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+fast+does+B...ton+run+the+40

Sorry I always wanted to use the lmgtfy function.

Here is the answer.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...lton-man-steal
    Hamilton said he has not been timed on a track, but at age 15 he was timed at 4.5 seconds in a 40-yard dash at a football camp. The fastest NFL players run the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds or less, and Hamilton by now is in that class.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It is worth bringing up the Andrew Means ran a 4.36 40 at the IU pro day and Hamilton is considered faster than him and no one ever questions it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is worth bringing up the Andrew Means ran a 4.36 40 at the IU pro day and Hamilton is considered faster than him and no one ever questions it.
    You are talking about our Andrew Means?

I just seems as if the Reds' minors has a lot of speed. It would be interesting to know who the fastest players are.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?