Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baseball America's Updated Reds Top 10

Re: Baseball America's Updated Reds Top 10

What makes Rodriguez interesting is that he sounds like a very good fit for the Reds bench. Switch hitter, superior hitting skills, even if he lacks power and is only a passable fielder.

I could easily see him in the Cairo spot, second and third base backup who pinch hits and plays occasionally. Then, depending on how he does, maybe he gets a larger role.

I expect Frazier at third full time next year, but HRod on the bench sounds good to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

HRod needs to strike out a bit less and walk a bit more but his power numbers and everything else are very close. Of course you're talking minor league numbers to major league numbers. The K and BB numbers are not that far off either. I'm not talking a huge improvement. But shifting production to the majors IS a huge thing. But yes, his minors numbers and Madlocks major league numbers are very similar...
    Actually, I was quoting minors to minors. I didn't take Madlock's major-league career into account--just comparing their ages and production at the minor-league level. It's very close. Rodriguez has actually hit for a higher average as a minor-leaguer, and of course Madlock ultimately made his reputation as a high-average guy--a four-time batting champion.

I suspect that their size was more comparable, as well, in their development years. Baseball Reference lists Madlock at 5-11, 180 as a major-leaguer. H-Rod is reported at 5-10, 150, but as 72 pointed out, he has gotten quite a bit stockier in the last couple years. Their body types seem very similar.

Good scouting report on Madlock.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Actually, I was quoting minors to minors. ...I suspect that their size was more comparable, as well, in their development years. Baseball Reference lists Madlock at 5-11, 180 as a major-leaguer. H-Rod is reported at 5-10, 150, but as 72 pointed out, he has gotten quite a bit stockier in the last couple years. Their body types seem very similar.
    I was working from memory but I thought Bill was 6' even and about 190.
    Funny how you remember guys bigger in your memory - I checked HRod's numbers in FanGraphs but used memory for Mad dog's. He was one of my favorite non-Reds as a Marine because of his attitude. The guy just never seemed to strike out - I remember specifically watching a game where a young
    Rawly Eastwick tried to pitch him outside on a full count, a non-intentional intentional kind of walk and Bill just reached out - the ball was a fastball 5 or 6" outside and flicked it into right for a hit knocking in a run. He got traded a lot though because of that temper. Kind of a corrosive personality.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Bill Madlock was a very, very, very good hitter.

Turn Off Ads?