Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Passion Pit - Gossamer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    274

    Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Anyone had a chance to listen to the new Passion Pit album? I enjoyed it more than anticipated.

    Between the new release and the Pitchfork feature where he discusses his psychological issues, Michael Angelakos is certainly getting a fair amount of publicity (seems young musicians like Angelakos and Frank Ocean are pretty savvy in regards to drumming up publicity, honest or not).

    NPR stream

    Pitchfork feature

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Anyone had a chance to listen to the new Passion Pit album? I enjoyed it more than anticipated.

    Between the new release and the Pitchfork feature where he discusses his psychological issues, Michael Angelakos is certainly getting a fair amount of publicity (seems young musicians like Angelakos and Frank Ocean are pretty savvy in regards to drumming up publicity, honest or not).

    NPR stream

    Pitchfork feature
    I had been waiting on this album for what seems like forever because I loved Manners so much. Gossamer isn't disappointing, but it's a notch below Manners.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    274

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I had been waiting on this album for what seems like forever because I loved Manners so much. Gossamer isn't disappointing, but it's a notch below Manners.
    That's funny, because I thought Manners was a bit of a disappointment after the Chunk of Change EP (though many of the songs from the EP were on the LP). Manners got stale for me rather quickly.

    Not sure if you read the Pitchfork piece, but it definitely casts his music in a different light for me.

  5. #4
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,448

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    I haven't listened to the new album yet, but ads for it keep showing up on every site I visit. Perhaps the internet is trying to tell me something.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    274

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I haven't listened to the new album yet, but ads for it keep showing up on every site I visit. Perhaps the internet is trying to tell me something.
    Same thing happened to me with Beach House's "Bloom". I went ahead and downloaded it. Didn't stop a damn thing.

  7. #6
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,494

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Anyone had a chance to listen to the new Passion Pit album? I enjoyed it more than anticipated.

    Between the new release and the Pitchfork feature where he discusses his psychological issues, Michael Angelakos is certainly getting a fair amount of publicity (seems young musicians like Angelakos and Frank Ocean are pretty savvy in regards to drumming up publicity, honest or not).

    NPR stream

    Pitchfork feature
    I like the album taken as a whole, but where most good albums have one or two singles that kind of stand out from the rest, I didn't hear any songs that really jumped out from the page. I'm big on synthpop, and no question this was a good synthpop album. Just lacked a memorable tune for me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    160

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I like the album taken as a whole, but where most good albums have one or two singles that kind of stand out from the rest, I didn't hear any songs that really jumped out from the page. I'm big on synthpop, and no question this was a good synthpop album. Just lacked a memorable tune for me.
    A big synthpop fan you say? What's your poison?

  9. #8
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,494

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    A big synthpop fan you say? What's your poison?
    Well, I'm big on some of the lighter alternative dance type stuff, like Depeche Mode, etc.

    I also like some of the newer Hip House, club-oriented music. Flo Rida's dance tunes are pretty catchy. But I realize that's quite a bit different taste.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,820

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    That's funny, because I thought Manners was a bit of a disappointment after the Chunk of Change EP (though many of the songs from the EP were on the LP). Manners got stale for me rather quickly.

    Not sure if you read the Pitchfork piece, but it definitely casts his music in a different light for me.
    Chunk of Change was awesome, but I liked Manners too. This new record is just so-so to me. It's not bad, but I expected it to be better, especially musically.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Love this album.

    Cry Like a Ghost is my favorite probably, but top to bottom I really enjoyed it

  12. #11
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,783

    Re: Passion Pit - Gossamer

    Just not my thing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25