Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The emergence of Ludwick has given the Reds some flexibility

The emergence of Ludwick has given the Reds some flexibility

Does anyone else think that Ludwick stepping up has given the Reds more options as we near the trade deadline? I no longer think we have to have a lead off guy. I now think we can trade for a lead off guy or a guy who can hit in the 2 spot, and can just take the best available of those spots.

Phillips can bat lead off with Ludwick at cleanup if we get a 2 hole guy. If we find a lead off hitter I still like Ludwick at cleanup, but I don't know exactly where you bat Phillips. I don't like him batting 2nd for obvious reasons. Maybe you can do this:

Leadoff
    Cozart
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier/Rolen
    Catcher
    Pitcher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The emergence of Ludwick has given the Reds some flexibility

Two things, 1. What are the "obvious reasons" to not bat him second. and 2, why would you move your second best offensive player to the five hole, not guaranteeing him an at bat until one out in the second inning?

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    Two things, 1. What are the "obvious reasons" to not bat him second. and 2, why would you move your second best offensive player to the five hole, not guaranteeing him an at bat until one out in the second inning?
    I was thinking the same thing. Bat BP 3rd and leave him there. Luddy 4th and leave him there. Hmmmm.....that poses a problem with Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Bat BP 3rd and leave him there. Luddy 4th and leave him there. Hmmmm.....that poses a problem with Bruce.
    I'd worry about where to bat Votto in your scenario before I'd worry about Bruce.

Phillips
    Heisey
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Fraizer/Rolen
    Cozart
    Catcher
    Pitcher

Would be my ideal lineup, if no moves are made by the deadline.
    Last edited by KYRedLeg; 07-24-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Heisey went 2-4 yesterday. No way he sees the lineup card today.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Heisey went 2-4 yesterday. No way he sees the lineup card today.
    ....but he got robbed of a third hit and Ludwick had 3 hits.

I say Dusty sits Ludwick tonight.

Stubbs
    Cozy
    BP
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Rolen
    Heisey

I am no Dusty apologist, but people need to give him some credit for sticking with Ludwick. Most RZ'ers were cursing Dusty in April and May every time he penciled Ludwick's name in the lineup card.

Dusty was right about this one.

By the way, Rolen's numbers since the AS break have been stellar and he still plays a mean 3B. Too early to tell, but he may be right about Rolen too.

I no longer feel like LF is a big need on this team. Unless we went big with a trade, which isn't gonna happen, I don't really see anyone out there that jumps out as a huge upgrade over him.

We may look back on this Votto injury as a blessing in disguise. It's forced other guys to have to step up...and they are.

Ludwick has played much better than I ever thought he would. That much is for certain.

I was thinking of this the other day, let me know if you all agree/disagree...

Ludwick was acquired because of his inevitable success given GABP's geometry and his hitting tendencies. (2nd on the team in HR, 4th in RBI, 3rd in SLG

It can be summed up by Ludwick's walk-off HR versus the Cardinals last Saturday. No one thought that liner would have gone over the wall, but it did. Even Thom and Welsh called it as if it was a would-be double.

He has more HR and RBI at home but his slash line is better at away parks (minus SLG)

There's a good chance I'm wrong but I see a pretty convenient coincidence with Ludwick playing in GABP and having a resurging year. Regardless, I'm glad he's a Red because he is contributing a LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by mrherd05 View Post
    Well he hits into a good many double plays, which could nullify the whole reason you are attempting to find a leadoff hittter. If you are willing to risk the double plays with him hitting 2nd then he would be the obvious choice. Lineup would be:

Leadoff guy
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier/Rolen
    Cozart
    Catcher
    Pitcher

If you aren't willing to risk Phillips hitting into double plays, where do you bat him? This is assuming Ludwick moves to clean up, which was the basis of my original post. You could always leave Phillips at clean up, but I think moving Ludwick to that spot is a good idea. Phillips is a great hitter when he is not trying to hit everything into the seats, which he sometimes tries to do when batting 4th.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I no longer feel like LF is a big need on this team. Unless we went big with a trade, which isn't gonna happen, I don't really see anyone out there that jumps out as a huge upgrade over him.

We may look back on this Votto injury as a blessing in disguise. It's forced other guys to have to step up...and they are.
    I stated this blessing in disguise thing a couple days ago and was killed for it. But, I think that it has really focused these guys.

Just flip Phillips and leadoff guy. Works for me. And I agree he is a better hitter when he isn't trying to yank everything.

I feel Ludwick has stepped it up and when Joey comes back bat him 3rd with Ludwick 4th. I still feel Brandon should bat 2nd and if they can swing a deal its for CF.. Victorino or Span batting leadoff with Phillips 2nd will enhance more opportunities for Votto when he comes back. Moving Cozart to 7th doesnt hurt him but with all his doubles will help at the end of the lineup and take pressure off Zach as well.. Just my opinion but a CF who leads off is their biggest need. And i suspect Stubbs is part of any deal (maybe why they turned down a straight up Ondrusek for Victorino deal. Reds wanted money in the deal or wanted to include Stubbs as well)

A few thoughts from this thread-

1) Ludwick has been great lately.

2) Phillips leads the league in grounding into double plays, do we really want that right before Votto, that's why he'd be better at 1 than 2.

3) Rolen Post All-Star Break:
    .357BA .424OBP .607SLG 1.031OPS

Turn Off Ads?