Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just mentioned on MLBTV.. Pirates trying to get Billy Butler

Just mentioned on MLBTV.. Pirates trying to get Billy Butler

Just was watching MLB TV and they were doing a segment "Real or Rumor" and stated it was real as the Pirates are trying to get Billy Butler.. I pray the Reds dont stand pat like 2011.. the Pirates are not going to sit still(Already got a Wandy from the Astros) Reds Got to make improvements even though Stubbs homered tonight, Got to upgrade the leadoff spot and CF is the most logical choice.. one of the following below:

1) Fowler
    2) Victorino
    3) Span

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just mentioned on MLBTV.. Pirates trying to get Billy Butler

The Reds stood pat in 2011 because they were DOA.

The Reds will stand pat in 2012 because they don't need fluff. They need real upgrades. A far better situation to be in.

I would like to see Span. I dont know what it would take to get it done. Maybe Stubbs and Lotzkar?

its amazing you hardly ever hear the reds in any talks.

I say make whatever trade Walt is considering right now. Drew has been hitting better the last week especially in this game. His stock is probably a little bit higher now. Do it before he returns to his usual self.
    2014 Attendance 0-3
    3/31/14, 4/12/14, 8/14/15

2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I say make whatever trade Walt is considering right now. Drew has been hitting better the last week especially in this game. His stock is probably a little bit higher now. Do it before he returns to his usual self.
    No reason to make a move just to make a move. Others make moves, they are not always the right ones. Just because other teams do something it doesn't mean we have to do something.

Make the move for only the right reasons. It has to be a clear improvement otherwise, no go.

The Reds have the core here for a number of years, this is not our only shot to make it. I truly believe this team can compete year in and year out for the central and maybe more.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I think that's a good thing. It's better for the team, and the players involved, if everything isn't out in the open all the time.

The Reds don't have a plethora of prospects anymore. We did our deadline trading in December (or January or whenever it was we traded for Latos). We have a few prospects to trade, but I don't want our farm system completely barren for a guy we might only have for a few months. I think trading for a guy like Juan Pierre won't leave us in barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The Reds don't have a plethora of prospects anymore. We did our deadline trading in December (or January or whenever it was we traded for Latos). We have a few prospects to trade, but I don't want our farm system completely barren for a guy we might only have for a few months. I think trading for a guy like Juan Pierre won't leave us in barren.
    Agree. Would Juan Pierre even start here though? The guys who would be real improvements hurt an already thin group of prospects and anyone we can get for cheap would barely play.

Trading for a guy like Pierre won't really help much though, so what's the point? The guy can't play CF, so he'd be taking playing time from Ludwick. That doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me, especially since Ludwick hits RHP well. Pierre also doesn't really profile well as a bench bat since he's a slap hitter with some speed and on base skills but very little pop.

If the Reds make a trade it should be for a guy like Span or Fowler who can play CF, get on base, and fill a need at the top of the lineup. I'm also not opposed to finding a bench bat who would be an upgrade over Xavier Paul. If the Reds don't have the prospects to get a deal like that done or don't like the price, then they should just continue to go to war with what they have.

If you're a buyer at the deadline, I don't think there's any point to making a deal that doesn't have a good chance to significantly improve your club.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 07-25-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Trading for a guy like Pierre won't really help much though, so what's the point? The guy can't play CF, so he'd be taking playing time from Ludwick. That doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me, especially since Ludwick hits RHP well. Pierre also doesn't really profile well as a bench bat since he's a slap hitter with some speed and on base skills but very little pop.

If the Reds make a trade it should be for a guy like Span or Fowler who can play CF, get on base, and fill a need at the top of the lineup. I'm also not opposed to finding a bench bat who would be an upgrade over Xavier Paul. If the Reds don't have the prospects to get a deal like that done or don't like the price, then they should just continue to go to war with what they have.

If you're a buyer at the deadline, I don't think there's any point to making a deal that doesn't have a good chance to significantly improve your club.
    I completely forgot Pierre doesn't play CF anymore so that automatically takes him off the list.

I think our biggest need is a LHB off the bench with some pop. That's the only thing that we could get relatively cheap. We're not going to find a decent LO hitter who can play every day in our OF.

I completely forgot Pierre doesn't play CF anymore so that automatically takes him off the list.

I think our biggest need is a LHB off the bench with some pop. That's the only thing that we could get relatively cheap. We're not going to find a decent LO hitter who can play every day in our OF.
    I might try to give the Phillies Ondrusek and a couple of middling prospects (10-25 range) for Shane Victorino and Laynce Nix. That doesn't seem unreasonable if there's any truth at all to the Ondrusek for Victorino rumor from earlier in the week. Victorino is having a down year, but he's still in his prime and had a great year just last season. Coming to a contender might help revitalize him a bit. Getting Nix would be a bonus and would go a long way towards fixing the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    That seems to be Walt's style. In 2011 I don't remember hearing anything about the Rolen deal before it happened, and I was shocked to hear after the fact that the Reds were serious contenders for Cliff Lee. I just think they play things close to the vest in Cincy.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I just want us to improve our bench. I'm cool with our 5 OFers.

It feels like the Reds need a very defined player..

1. Left handed hitter for sure
    2. CF, maybe LF or middle IF spot

It is good to not need a middle to back starting pitcher. With the emergence of Frazier and Ludwick and both are dirt cheap...that covers some holes we thought we had, but feels like possible replacements aren't all that much better in 2012 and will cost way more money. So while some teams are making moves...they do have more holes than Reds do.

Turn Off Ads?