Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Rosa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gabriel Rosa

Too soon to start to get a little concerned about last year's second round pick?

He is currently OPSing .444 (.179 BA, 0 HR) in Billings in his second year of professional ball. He did just turn 19 this month, so it goes without saying there is plenty of time. That said, he now has a career .605 OPS in 198 professional plate appearances.

Barring a major turnaround, I'd imagine Rahier is the starting 3B in Dayton next year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-25-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Gabriel Rosa

He's young, but that K/BB ratio scares me. Hopefully it's just an approach issue or something fixable, but that's one of those foundational problems that can render the best tools in the world utterly useless.

Went back to see what BA said before last year's draft. They did express concern that his swing path was inconsistent and that he opened up too early in an attempt to pull.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Youth is on his side, but he should probably be repeating the AZL this year given his age and approach. This is his age 18 season, he is only a few months older than the high school kids we drafted this year.

I guess he'll repeat Billings next year and hopefully shows some signs of life. Like I said, seems like he'll be leapfrogged by Rahier.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I guess he'll repeat Billings next year and hopefully shows some signs of life. Like I said, seems like he'll be leapfrogged by Rahier.
    Probably so, but you never know. A good fall and a good spring could change things and it isn't like Rahier has exactly lit the world on fire in Arizona (though his plate discipline has been much stronger).

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Not too soon at all. This guy looks like he was one hell of a reach in the second round. Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Not too soon at all. This guy looks like he was one hell of a reach in the second round. Very disappointing.
    He is 18 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is 18 years old.
    The Mike Trouts, Bryce Harpers, and Dylan Bundys of the world are giving everyone unrealistic expectations.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    The Mike Trouts, Bryce Harpers, and Dylan Bundys of the world are giving everyone unrealistic expectations.
    No, that has nothing to do with wanting last year's second-round pick to do well in rookie ball. We're talking about rookie ball here. Rookie ball.

Anyone disappointed with Yorman Rodriguez? Thought so. Well, he's only 19. And could at least hit when he was in rookie ball.

Also, no one is completely writing Rosa off (at least I'm not). I said I was very disappointed in him thus far. I stand by that. He was bad with the AZL Reds last year and he was bad with Billings this year. Still an extremely young guy, I get that. But I also expect more out of a second-round pick.

Just when I think Buckley is a genius, he makes picks like Rosa last year and Jeff Gelalich this year. Head-scratchers to say the least.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 08-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Agree that it's way too early to write him off completely, but not too early to be a bit concerned. If he can't hit in Billings next year, I'll be very concerned.
    Go BLUE!!!

I noticed that he is on the 60 day DL. Does anyone have further info?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I noticed that he is on the 60 day DL. Does anyone have further info?
    He has apparently had hip problems all season long and the Reds decided to shut him down.

It seems without checking that our recent high Puerto Rican draft choices have not panned out.

Edit... I guess it's not that bad. I had visions of Ronda in my mind but that was a long time ago, and Silva was not that high a pick.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-12-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Gelalich and LaMarre strike me as the outfield version of Devin Lohman and Brodie Green.

Turn Off Ads?