Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 7/25/12 Reds @ Astros

Re: 7/25/12 Reds @ Astros

The silver lining to Joey's injury - some different guys are being put in the position to step up and are succeeding.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sometimes I wonder, if its decisions like were made in tonights game, that is keeping Baker from getting an extension.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Not quite. One of the worst. How can you argue that?.
    I still wouldn't say he's one of the worst relievers in baseball. I don't care about this qualifier stuff, there's plenty more than 155 relievers. He's not pitching well right now, that's for sure.

The constant Dusty-bashing is what set me off tonight. This team is 18 games over .500. One of the best records in the bigs, with several 'holes' on the roster. He has to get some credit.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Sometimes I wonder, if its decisions like were made in tonights game, that is keeping Baker from getting an extension.

We can only hope.

Of the 80 that qualify, name one.
    Since when do only qualifying relievers count when "worst reliever in baseball" statement is made?

The really bad ones don't typically qualify because teams don't use them as often.

So really your sample is kind of a bit of selection bias as you're only comparing him to guys that are good enough to pitch more often.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Since when do only qualifying relievers count when "worst reliever in baseball" statement is made?

The really bad ones don't typically qualify because teams don't use them as often.

So really your sample is kind of a bit of selection bias as you're only comparing him to guys that are good enough to pitch more often.
    Who cares? Either way you slice it, he doesn't belong in a close game unless the entire pen is burned.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I still wouldn't say he's one of the worst relievers in baseball. I don't care about this qualifier stuff, there's plenty more than 155 relievers. He's not pitching well right now, that's for sure.

The constant Dusty-bashing is what set me off tonight. This team is 18 games over .500. One of the best records in the bigs, with several 'holes' on the roster. He has to get some credit.
    Being 18 over has nothing to do with Ondrusek. No matter how you want to look at it, he is one of the worst relievers in baseball. And he has been bad over the past three years. It is what it is.

Ondrusek being who he is has nothing to do with Dusty. You are simply missing the forest through the trees.

I can love Dusty and still realize Ondruesk has no business pitching in key situations, let alone being on the 24 (or 40) man roster. Hello, Jordan Smith. What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Who cares? Either way you slice it, he doesn't belong in a close game unless the entire pen is burned.

That's your opinion and I respect your choice to express it. But if people are going to throw around hyperbole, I think others have a right to disagree, yes?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Dusty makes a lot of curious decisions, from batting Cozart first (when he should be hitting 8th) to staying with pitchers too long. He bunts too often and his lineups are, well, curious, but you can't argue with 18 over .500 and first place.

Second guessing the manager is a tradition in baseball. I still say pitching Logan and Bray in close games is insane.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

AGAIN. I never said he was the worst. Go back and read the thread.

Quit splitting hairs. "One of the worst" (which is what I posted) is all that matters. He has no business pitching in key situations. I wouldn't lose sleep if he's pitching where he belongs (in mop up) but he shouldn't ever be in with the game on the line.

That's your opinion and I respect your choice to express it. But if people are going to throw around hyperbole, I think others have a right to disagree, yes?
    Where was the hyperbole? Quote it.

Where was the hyperbole? Quote it.
    Reds Freak replied "Worst reliever in baseball?"

And while that was not your original quote, you responded "do some research."

Then he again challenged you on that asking if you'd rather have Del Rosario, Cordero, etc. And you had the opportunity to back off the statement.

OK so technically it might not have been your quote, but you certainly didn't run from it when asked twice.

Regardless, you're running from the issue that you're using a sample that includes a higher echelon of relievers to assert he's one of the worst. Use all relievers rather than a higher echelon and you'll see he's closer to being in the middle of the pack. And I'm not splitting hairs because I don't personally think he's "one of the worst." I don't think he's one of the best either, but I think he's just your average reliever who's been forced to pitch a lot more innings because two of the Reds' best relievers got hurt before the season and the other two have been overused.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-26-2012 at 12:07 AM.

One of the worst... worst..... awful...... who cares?

O has no business in that game tonight. Yes, there are guys like him, but the good bullpens have few. The Reds are one of those teams. That's what makes the decision so frustrating. It will cost us games eventually, and should have tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    One of the worst... worst..... awful...... who cares?

O has no business in that game tonight. Yes, there are guys like him, but the good bullpens have few. The Reds are one of those teams. That's what makes the decision so frustrating. It will cost us games eventually, and should have tonight.
    Your opinion. But if others want to have that debate, that's their prerogative yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Cards and Dodgers still playing. 2-2 in the 11th.
    Maybe they'll go 19.

Turn Off Ads?