Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Todd Frazier win Rookie of the Year?

Could Todd Frazier win Rookie of the Year?

According to the Fangraphs rookie leaderboard, Todd Fraizer has a 1.9 WAR compared to Bryce Harper's 1.6 - even though he has almost 100 less at bats. He is batting .015 points higher, hitting many more extra base hits and home runs, and walking at about the same rate. If they both continue to play like this for the rest of the season, does anyone think Frazier has any chance to win Rookie of the Year, or is Harper a lock if he can put up decent numbers due to his age and status as "future star"?

Edit: I forgot to mention that Fraizer's 1.9 WAR also leads all rookie batters in the NL. However, Wade Miley, Lance Lynn, and Michael Fiers all have higher WARs as pitchers.
    Last edited by batsfan; 07-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could Todd Frazier win Rookie of the Year?

Frazier certainly has the stats to back up a Rookie of the Year win, but I think barring injury or a prolonged slump from Harper, Frazier doesn't have a realistic chance. The one other scenario I could see leading to a Frazier win is if the Reds win the NL Central while the Nationals fade down the stretch, leading to more face time and press coverage for Frazier, but even then, it's going to be hard to overcome Harper's advantage based on his age, potential and media exposure.

Hard to say. How much playing time will Frazier receive once Votto is back? Also, I'm sure Harper will receive extra accolades for being much younger than Frazier is.

You can't overlook Simmons from the Braves. He's actually put up similar numbers in even fewer ABs than Frazier has. But really, Wade Miley is making a pretty strong case he should be the ROY as of now.

Here's the piece I put in the other Frazier thread from SI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ger/index.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Hard to say. How much playing time will Frazier receive once Votto is back? Also, I'm sure Harper will receive extra accolades for being much younger than Frazier is.

You can't overlook Simmons from the Braves. He's actually put up similar numbers in even fewer ABs than Frazier has. But really, Wade Miley is making a pretty strong case he should be the ROY as of now.
    Age is not a criterion, as far as I know. Heck, Ichiro won the award at 28 and was hardly a rookie in the "greenhorn" sense.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

To answer the question. Yes he could but reality is that he wont. Harper will win it just because the name on his jersey and the fans loving the young superstar. However Id bet that at the end of the year Frazier will have made a very compelling argument. He really has saved this Reds team with his versatility and clutch bat.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Age is not a criterion, as far as I know. Heck, Ichiro won the award at 28 and was hardly a rookie in the "greenhorn" sense.
    Only in the NHL

I believe you have to be over 27, I think the European invasion caused the rule to be introduced

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Didn't mean to imply it was an official criterion, but rather, sports writers may give Harper the edge because his numbers are similar to Frazier and he is much younger.

I think Wade Miley is probably the favorite at this point despite the hype for Harper.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...e_pitching::11
    Miley has posted 2.6 WAR to date.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think Wade Miley is probably the favorite at this point despite the hype for Harper.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...e_pitching::11
    Miley has posted 2.6 WAR to date.
    I had forgot about Miley. He has had one heck of a year. This may be off-topic but talking about WAR. Did you guys know that Johnny Cueto has the second highest WAR of all pitchers in the MLB behind only Verlander. i thought that was amazing

ESPN Insider wrote about this very topic yesterday.
    Go BLUE!!!

[QUOTE=batsfan;2676985]According to the Fangraphs rookie leaderboard, Todd Fraizer has a 1.9 WAR compared to Bryce Harper's 1.6 - even though he has almost 100 less at bats. He is batting .015 points higher, hitting many more extra base hits and home runs, and walking at about the same rate. If they both continue to play like this for the rest of the season, does anyone think Frazier has any chance to win Rookie of the Year, or is Harper a lock if he can put up decent numbers due to his age and status as "future star"?

Edit: I forgot to mention that Fraizer's 1.9 WAR also leads all rookie batters in the NL. However, Wade Miley, Lance Lynn, and Michael Fiers all have higher WARs as pitchers.[/QUOTE]

Lynn doesn't qualify as a rookie this year becaus he pitched too many innings in the bullpen last year.

I just don't see Fraizer winning it. The media has already determined the Golden Child in Washington as ROY.

This brings up another issue I have with ROY. Why do they not separate the pitchers and hitters? Why not give a Rookie Pitcher of the Year award and Offensive Rookie of the Year award? I think it would be more fair.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

This brings up another issue I have with ROY. Why do they not separate the pitchers and hitters? Why not give a Rookie Pitcher of the Year award and Offensive Rookie of the Year award? I think it would be more fair.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement 100%. The NFL does this with defensive and offensive ROY.

There's precedent for Harper winning. Looking back to 1988, Reds' media darling Chris Sabo won the award over Mark Grace, who had the better overall season.

Also in 1989 when Dwight Smith played well above teammate Jerome Walton only to lose the Rookie of the Year award to Walton.
    Last edited by savafan; 07-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    There's precedent for Harper winning. Looking back to 1988, Reds' media darling Chris Sabo won the award over Mark Grace, who had the better overall season.
    Baseball reference had Sabo with a 4.8 WAR, Grace only 0.7. FanGraphs has them 4.9-1.2.

Turn Off Ads?