Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Bands

Local Bands

What are some of your favorite local bands? Being from Cincinnati, I can name plenty of bands from here that I love seeing live. Afghan Whigs; Wussy; Heartless Bastards, etc. And if you extend it to Dayton, Guided by Voices; the Deal sisters' projects; Enon, etc).

But to get a little less national, here are some of my favorites from around the area.

Automagik They sound to me like a power pop band with a very young vibe. Queen would be an obvious influence, hence the songs being very catchy. My favorite song on the album is "Brainfreeze". Here's a video from the album.
    Automagik - Teleportation Blues - YouTube

The Dopamines These are really cool dudes who have gotten some national attention. It's straight-up pop punk. Oh, and they're big Reds fans.
    The Dopamines - Glendora - YouTube

The Prohibitionists It's a classic blues/rockabilly band with an awesome garage sound. They tend to highlight any show no matter where they play in the lineup.
    the prohibitionists- chapter 1 - YouTube

The Ready Stance With a refined pop sound, it's more for fans of R.E.M. who like a little indie pop. And if you're into that sort of thing, they have some sweet rigs that I believe were locally-made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...SuR7iiI#t=625s

Vacation This is definitely the most unique band on the list. Post-punk would be a lazy description, but it's the best I can come up with since I need a vague word to cover all the sub-genres they're into. I'd recommend them for fans of Titus Andronicus who like to get a little crazier.
    Vacation: "Big Scary Dudes" - YouTube

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Local Bands

The Ready Stance isn't an acoustic band btw. That was just the best I could do on YouTube.

James McMurtry's band was called Heartless Bastards at one time. Is this band different?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Great list and a great topic. If you extend the list to those who have expanded far beyond the Cincinnati scene but have their roots here I have to give a big nod to The National and Foxy Shazam (both of whom put on killer live shows). As for mostly-local bands that are currently active I love The Tillers and the Seedy Seeds. Another enjoyable group is The Kentucky Struts. My wife teaches some of their children and they are first class people.

I realize I should be happy for all of Foxy Shazam's success, but I just don't think they write good albums. I might say the same about Walk the Moon, but I haven't really given them an analytical listen.

Why did you wait so long to start this thread, camisa?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why did you wait so long to start this thread, camisa?
    I was waiting for you.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My friend is in The Dopamines. Known him for half of my life. Never heard them live. Enjoy punk, so it really doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My friend is in The Dopamines. Known him for half of my life. Never heard them live. Enjoy punk, so it really doesn't make much sense.
    Which one? They're good friends of mine.

Automagik has a little bit of the swagger and classic rock influence of quasi-local Cage the Elephant. They seem to have a good idea what being entertainers is about.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I know you've mentioned playing in Cincinnati-area bands in the past, camisa. Out yourself, and tell us which ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I know you've mentioned playing in Cincinnati-area bands in the past, camisa. Out yourself, and tell us which ones.
    No way. Sorry, but I have a reputation to protect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Jon Weiner. He used to skate back in the day (high school). Used to go over to his house and ride his ramp and play Madden all the time. Haven't seen him in a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jon Weiner. He used to skate back in the day (high school). Used to go over to his house and ride his ramp and play Madden all the time. Haven't seen him in a while though.
    Jon and I are really good friends. I've known him for years, and we have some really good stories. He's on tour right now, but I'm sure I'll run into him soon after he gets back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Walk the Moon was playing 20th Century in Oakley last night. Show was sold out, otherwise I might've dropped in.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?