Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Bands

Re: Local Bands

Woy and my's little sister is an extra in a Corrin Tucker Band video today
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Another band I heavily associate with NYC is Sonic Youth.

Speaking of places/times that have a "sound" as Baseclogger was mentioning I was always a big fan of the 90's Chapel Hill scene. Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Small 23....
    We seem to be well off camisa's intended topic, but I think that's a fun digression, sounds of certain scenes, eras, or places.

The Bay Area's garage scene right now is tremendous. Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, The Fresh & Onlys, Sic Alps, Sonny & the Sunsets, White Fence, Sandwitches, Shannon & the Clams, Hunx & His Punx.

Bill, I've never heard of any of those bands except the first two. My chops is getting weak in my advanced age I guess. Speaking of which, here is a list of the "best" new bands in PDX in 2012 from our local weekly. I have seen exactly none of them.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...current_page=2

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    We seem to be well off camisa's intended topic, but I think that's a fun digression, sounds of certain scenes, eras, or places.

The Bay Area's garage scene right now is tremendous. Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, The Fresh & Onlys, Sic Alps, Sonny & the Sunsets, White Fence, Sandwitches, Shannon & the Clams, Hunx & His Punx.
    I love most of these bands. I had no idea Hunx & His Punx were Bay Areaites.

Vetiver, Kelley Stoltz, Deerhoof...the music around San Francisco is overwhelming right now, I agree. Lots of crossover too, people who play in multiple bands for periods of time, people who play in bands in Seattle and LA t make that whole area more connected musically. Very supportive music scene it seems.

edit: Pedro, I have not heard of any of those Portland bands either. We are all old.

Another music scene that I think is really strong right now is LA. Lots of good folky, intricate guitar stuff happening there. I always feel conflicted when anything good comes out of LA.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 07-30-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I love most of these bands. I had no idea Hunx & His Punx were Bay Areaites.

Vetiver, Kelley Stoltz, Deerhoof...the music around San Francisco is overwhelming right now, I agree. Lots of crossover too, people who play in multiple bands for periods of time, people who play in bands in Seattle and LA t make that whole area more connected musically. Very supportive music scene it seems.

edit: Pedro, I have not heard of any of those Portland bands either. We are all old.

Another music scene that I think is really strong right now is LA. Lots of good folky, intricate guitar stuff happening there. I always feel conflicted when anything good comes out of LA.
    Another SFer to watch is Jason Quaver. Totally apart from the garage stuff, but with relation to Vetiver. He plays under Papercuts (which is phenomenal and haunting and emotional and pretty much the best of its kind) and does a fair amount of producing, most notably the Skygreen Leopards' Gorgeous Johnny.

Love Portland, and I suppose it's the nature of a best new bands list, but sometimes the town can be too cool by half.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

Love Portland, and I suppose it's the nature of a best new bands list, but sometimes the town can be too cool by half.
    without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Walk the Moon was playing 20th Century in Oakley last night. Show was sold out, otherwise I might've dropped in.
    My friend manages that band. They have great potential. When I was in Europe last month, they were being played everywhere there. It may be slower to catch on in the US, but they're taking off overseas.

They just played Walk the Moon on www.kexp.org (seattle public radio)

Wussy To Join Afghan Whigs U.S. Tour
    Two of Cincinnati's all-time best join forces this fall

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/b...s_us_tour.html

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Wussy To Join Afghan Whigs U.S. Tour
    Two of Cincinnati's all-time best join forces this fall

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/b...s_us_tour.html
    The Afghan Whigs show scheduled for Cincinnati was stupid expensive the last time I saw. Although I like them a lot, I don't feel a need to spend all that money seeing as how I've seen them do impromptu reunions in the past. As for Wussy, they're usually playing for free somewhere around Cincy just about every month. However, Chuck Cleaver is easily one of the best songwriters in the Midwest right now.

dp

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Afghan Whigs show scheduled for Cincinnati was stupid expensive the last time I saw. Although I like them a lot, I don't feel a need to spend all that money seeing as how I've seen them do impromptu reunions in the past. As for Wussy, they're usually playing for free somewhere around Cincy just about every month. However, Chuck Cleaver is easily one of the best songwriters in the Midwest right now.
    I saw Wussy when they were here last month. I liked them a lot. As for the Afghan Whigs they're a long time guilt pleasure of mine. First time I saw them was at the Union in Athens for $3 in 1989. I told myself I was swearing off Dulli last time I saw the Twilight singers, just too much self loathing for me, but yeah, I'll probably go. I do love me some Afghan Whigs. Hope they bring Wussy out here with them.

The Afghan Whigs were a great band, but I could probably count on less than one hand the amount of active bands I'd be willing to pay $45.86 (pre-sale price after the fees) to see at Bogart's. I have a feeling Cincinnatians are getting gouged. The Twilight Singers always did that to Cincinnati, too.

edit:
    It looks like they're not price gouging on this tour. That's good to hear. I've seen The Twilight Singers charge more in Newport, KY than other cities before though.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-01-2012 at 04:02 PM.

The Afghan Whigs are playing an afternoon time slot at Lollapalooza this weekend. I wanted to see them, but I don't think I'm going to be out of work in time on Friday... :/

I finally got to see Foxy Shazam play last night. They opened for Slash (???), and they were fantastic.

The crowd was mostly rode-hard Slash fans, and it was amazing to see these middle-aged bikers go from mild, semi-polite applause at the beginning of the show to full-on jumping and cheering by the end. One guy told me, "I had never heard of this band before, but I'm going home and buying all their albums!"

I got to meet the lead singer Eric after the show. We chatted about the Reds -- he said the band was invited to sing the National Anthem on opening day, but they were on tour and couldn't make it. He also said he was hoping to get lucky and get World Series tickets, which was disheartening, because if the guy who sings the song that gets played after every Reds victory can't get tickets, then who can?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?