Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Robert Stephenson being sent to Dayton

Resident PED Expert

Re: Robert Stephenson being sent to Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Holy Aroldis. First inning: 3 K's. Topped out at 101. Two of the three strikeouts came on breaking balls.
    That's just wow.

If he had 5 or 6 good starts in Dayton to end his campaign this year with that kind velocity, He could debut as a top 25-50 prospect in all of baseball ball next year...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Holy Aroldis. First inning: 3 K's. Topped out at 101. Two of the three strikeouts came on breaking balls.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And those breaking balls are very pretty.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The California Missile

Can we resist the urge to stick this guy in the bullpen?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Send him to Pensacola ! Everyone is tired !
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

What kind of trajectory would you guys expect for Stephenson? Is it an absolute given that all of his innings for the rest of the year will be at the low A level, or could he possibly get a High A start?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What kind of trajectory would you guys expect for Stephenson? Is it an absolute given that all of his innings for the rest of the year will be at the low A level, or could he possibly get a High A start?
    Bakersfield is far away, and in a huge hitters league. I'd keep him in Dayton all year.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Dayton, 70 pitch limit.

It's all about these three things with this kid right now:

1) Keep him healthy
    2) Keep him from trying to overextend
    3) See item # 1

If he dominates the rest of the season, I could see the Cincinnati brass deciding he should skip Bakersfield in favor of the larger park in AA Pensacola.

It's not likely, but possible.

Stephenson did not look like a guy who was ready for the next level last night. He was ready for this level, but not the next one.

Clearly the focus should be on keeping him healthy and performing in Dayton for the rest of this season.

Depending on how he looks and continues to progress over the next few months, he could potentially be a candidate to begin next year in A+ or even AA.

Fortunately, there is no need whatsoever to rush him. He should be in Dayton no matter what for the rest of this season, and only be promoted to A+ or AA for next year if he is clearly ready for the challenge.

Even in a best-case scenario (including his health), he is not a guy who should get major league consideration until 2015, when he'll be 22 years old. It's quite possible that he will not be ready until 2016 or even 2017. You never know...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Even in a best-case scenario (including his health), he is not a guy who should get major league consideration until 2015, when he'll be 22 years old. It's quite possible that he will not be ready until 2016 or even 2017. You never know...
    Yep. If for nothing else so that when he gets there, he has built up his innings to the point where he won't have to be shut down, unless they make a run in the playoffs.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stephenson did not look like a guy who was ready for the next level last night. He was ready for this level, but not the next one.
    I'll take your word for it since I wasn't there. And I don't want to rush the kid either. BUT...........I remember similar things being said about Cingrani.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'll take your word for it since I wasn't there. And I don't want to rush the kid either. BUT...........I remember similar things being said about Cingrani.
    Cingrani can throw his fastball wherever he wants it.

Stephenson, despite the strikeouts, didn't really have good control of his fastball, much less command of it. Guys were just overmatched though because they don't see arms like that.

Turn Off Ads?