Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Current Trade Value of Reds Prospects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Current Trade Value of Reds Prospects

This list is admittedly somewhat subjective, but I thought I'd take a stab at providing a general guide for those less familiar with Reds prospects of the relative trade value ranking of our prospects with the trade deadline (and therefore likelihood of a trade involving one or more of these prospects) approaching.

Please keep in mind this is NOT a ranking of Reds Top Prospects, as there are several top prospects who don't appear on this list because they are not eligible to be traded, and there is some differences between how I would rank top prospects vs. how I would rank prospects' trade value (ie relievers closer to the majors would generally rank lower in the former and higher in the latter). Please use the groupings/gradings as more of a guide than the actual rankings, as there is some subjectivity applied. Without further ado:

GRADE A
    1. Billy Hamilton SS in AA

GRADE B+
    2. Robert Stephenson RHP in A
    3. Tony Cingrani LHP in AA
    (tie) Daniel Corcino RHP in AA

GRADE B/B-
    5. Kyle Lotzkar RHP in AA
    6. DiDi Gregorius SS in AAA
    7. Henry Rodriguez 3B in AAA
    8. Yorman Rodriguez OF in A
    9. JJ Hoover RHP in AAA
    10. Donnie Joseph LHP in AAA

GRADE C
    11. Tucker Barnhart C in AA
    12. David Vidal 3B in AA
    13. Donald Lutz OF in AA
    14. Ryan LaMarre OF in AA
    15. JC Sulbaran RHP in AA
    16. Pedro Diaz RHP in R
    17. Ismael Guillon LHP in R
    18. Drew Cisco RHP in R
    19. Amir Garrett LHP in R
    20. Sal Romano LHP in R
    21. Kyle Waldrop OF in A
    22. Neftali Soto 1B in AAA
    23. Bryson Smith OF in AA
    24. Ryan Wright 2B in A
    25. Gabriel Rosa 3B in R

Basically anyone else could likely qualify as a throw-in/PTBNL in a potential deal. As mentioned earlier 2012 draftees are not eligible to be traded and therefore do not appear on this list.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-26-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Didi and Hrod are B pluses in my view. Also rank Ryan Wright higher. All should be high on other teams wish list.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: Current Trade Value of Reds Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Didi and Hrod are B pluses in my view. Also rank Ryan Wright higher. All should be high on other teams wish list.
    I'm not sure DiDi or H-Rod carry the same value as one of the "Big 3" pitching prospects.

With Wright, you can make the argument he belongs higher than 24, but he's almost definitely a "C grade" with the rest of the 11-25 guys.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd think Todd Redmond might slip in there somewhere. And although I'm intrigued by Bryson Smith, I have my doubts that he'd rank that high on a trading scale. Maybe so.

Other possibilities in that ballpark: Josh Smith, Drew Hayes, and if you want to count Dioner Navarro. Perhaps Juan Perez, Theo Bowe and Pedro Villarreal. Not so sure about Rosa.

Good list, as usual.

Just because I have no feel whatsoever for the worth of prospects, where on that list would you place the Reds' recently-acquired supplemental pick, which can be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Just because I have no feel whatsoever for the worth of prospects, where on that list would you place the Reds' recently-acquired supplemental pick, which can be traded?
    Hard to say for sure, but from what I've heard- somewhere between an A and a B. Definitely more valuable than #5-25 players, probably comparable to the B+ guys. Not as valuable as Hamilton, at least in most cases.
    Go BLUE!!!

Whatever the base value is for Billy's raw tools/talent as a player (and I would rank him an A on that alone), I think you can add an additional 25% for the excitement or "IT" factor that he brings to the table - especially if he sticks as a SS.

What's shocking is that there is not a single member of Bakersfield on that list. You could make a valid argument that Sharky Rogers is a C grade guy.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    What's shocking is that there is not a single member of Bakersfield on that list. You could make a valid argument that Sharky Rogers is a C grade guy.
    Selsky and Bowe from Bakersfield could be on other teams radar.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?