Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs?....You're Talkin Bout Playoffs?

Playoffs?....You're Talkin Bout Playoffs?

Ok folks....off day but I've been hard at it.

Our starting pitchers have been amazing. The Reds have not had 3 starters over 185 inn since 1992. This year all 5 are on pace for 197+

Ok...here's where I'm going. We win the central and are in the playoffs!

Let's set our rotation with 1. Cueto, 2. Arroyo, 3. Homer, 4. Latos

Divisional series.....we win in 4 games (Cueto, Arroyo, Homer, Latos)....yippee

NLCS....we win a tough series in 6! Dusty Baker...shut me up! Lol (Cueto, Arroyo, Homer, Latos, Cueto, Arroyo)

World Series....we win in 6 or 7 games (Homer, Cueto, Arroyo, Latos, Homer, Cueto)

Everything is reasonable and an average prediction providing we continue this play.

Still with me? Here we go.

Johnny Cueto is our 26 year old ace and we all assume and want him to be for several more years...but he has never pitched over 185 innings....he only threw 156 last year.....he has 13 regular season starts left and 6 in the playoffs...using his average in those starts he would lead us to a title and throw 254 innings.

Homer Bailey....looking great and only 26 years old....including rehabs and season Homer has never pitched nearly this much due to injuries and last year was his high with around 170...but he is on pace for 205 inn at end of regular season.....including our postseason heroics he ends the year at 231 inn.

Mat Latos...only 24! Mat did throw 184 at age 22, and threw 194 at age 23...he's on pace for 197 and with the World Series participation he'd end at 217.

Mike Leake you ask? We'd rather him over Bronson or Latos....ok He's been on an innings limit and last year was shut down at 167.....so his pace this year of 198 fits perfectly for the 24 year old. Put him in the mix and he's looking at 225.

Bronson....old man crafty is on pace for 198 and the Series would end him around 230.

So....

Recommended Inn/projected

Cueto 215-220/254
    Homer 205/231
    Latos 215/197 or 217
    Leake 200/200 or 225
    Arroyo Doesn't matter/Doesn't matter

So for a complete postseason run are clear ace and right now our #2 will exceed a sensible innings limit by 35 and 25 inn and if Leake is mixed in he will go about 25 over.

Latos and Arroyo have no innings issues....but arguably our top 3 do and Leake was shut down on the spot last year and Cueto is irreplaceable. Homer has came so far but never going over 170 and needing 231 for a championship?

What's everyone think?

I AM COMPLETELY FOR ALL OF THOSE GUYS GREATLY EXCEEDING AS I HAVE PROJECTED...WITH NO EXCEPTIONS.

1990 didn't happen again real soon did it?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Whew.

Panicking Fan since 1993

Re: Playoffs?....You're Talkin Bout Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Ok folks....off day but I've been hard at it.

Our starting pitchers have been amazing. The Reds have not had 3 starters over 185 inn since 1992. This year all 5 are on pace for 197+

Just to be safe lets sweep all those series.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCat View Post
    Just to be safe lets sweep all those series.
    That's not safe either as Cueto and Homer will be beyond their recommended limits by the end of the season.

That's not safe either as Cueto and Homer will be beyond their recommended limits by the end of the season.
    They are both 26 years old. If they can't handle 200 innings +another 15-20 or so in the playoffs, they shouldn't be in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    They are both 26 years old. If they can't handle 200 innings +another 15-20 or so in the playoffs, they shouldn't be in this league.
    Neither has ever pitched over 185.....Cueto will go over 250 if we go to the WS.

as good as the Reds are im not sure they can beat the Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Nationals claim they won't have Strasburg (11-4, 2.70, 151 K)

Nationals claim they won't have Strasburg (11-4, 2.70, 151 K)
    Stasburg didnt pitch one game against the Reds and they still crushed them, granted the Reds have gotten better but so have they

Seriously.....what do you regulars (mutaman, EMAW, dub, RF72, texasdave, bluegrass, kingspoint, brm) think....anyone concerned at all with any of the potential innings numbers?
    Last edited by Ironman92; 07-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.

I think that if the Reds make the playoffs, which I feel they will, you do what is necessary to keep on advancing. Worry about 2013 in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I think that if the Reds make the playoffs, which I feel they will, you do what is necessary to keep on advancing. Worry about 2013 in 2013.
    Thanks....as stated, I agree 100%

I put a lot of time into that starting post....had to call some of you guys out!

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Not sure how/why anyone would say that. Just last year St Louis was 10.5 games out with 31 games to play, 8.5 back with 21 to play and still won the wildcard, beat the NL #1 and #2 teams and then the Rangers in the world series after being down to their final strike twice.

The baseball playoffs are all about momentum, who gets hot and a little bit of luck. As long as we make it anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperlamar View Post
    Not sure how/why anyone would say that. Just last year St Louis was 10.5 games out with 31 games to play, 8.5 back with 21 to play and still won the wildcard, beat the NL #1 and #2 teams and then the Rangers in the world series after being down to their final strike twice.

The baseball playoffs are all about momentum, who gets hot and a little bit of luck. As long as we make it anything can happen.
    while that is true sometimes, you also have to have talent to pull that off and St Louis last season had some great players on it and they finally put it together at the end of the season after starting off slow, i wouldn't call it luck they just started playing at their talent level. Their starting pitching was terrific and their hitting was top 5 in baseball. Same thing applys to the giants the season before, they had some great players on that team. You dont go on those kinds of runs without good players

Ah Jesus they were so lucky....from their inconceivable wins to the Braves unbelievable losses down to 1 strike from elimination twice and catching Cruz in the pre-celebratory moment.

Turn Off Ads?