part of BBN

Re: UK Football 2013

More news from the week :

Defensive Tackle
    6’4”, 320 lbs.
    Fullerton, CA

Chose UK Over: Miami (FL) and Washington

Twitter: @BigMel94

Defensive line Coach Jimmy Brumbaugh added another big body to the defensive line yesterday with the addition of JUCO DT Melvin Lewis. Like Za’Darius Smith, Lewis attended JUCO after only playing a couple high school football seasons. The difference between the two is that Lewis will likely redshirt this season and expects to start in his final two years of eligibility. Last season at Fullerton Community College Lewis racked up 41 tackles (26 solo) and 3.5 sacks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

I told someone the other day....the 2 most anticipated games for UK fans in 2013 :

The Spring Game

and

The Blue/White Game

Last edited by jmac; 03-02-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Those aren't the most anticipated games for UK fans in 2013...

definitely looking forward to them, but that's hyperbole.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Those aren't the most anticipated games for UK fans in 2013...

definitely looking forward to them, but that's hyperbole.
    Merely making a statement jokingly comparing the new outlook for football and the Basketball recruiting class coming in.
    Common sense says we are looking forward to seasonal games.No need to dissect everything.
    Guess I should have put a big grin.
    Last edited by jmac; 03-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Merely making a statement jokingly comparing the new outlook for football and the Basketball recruiting class coming in.
    No need to dissect everything.
    I know, just saying.

How about we're looking foward to those two events more than anything UK football or basketball produced this year?

part of BBN

I know, just saying.

How about we're looking foward to those two events more than anything UK football or basketball produced this year?
    Works for me !

have you seen the workout videos UK athletics has been posting on youtube? You should run them down if you haven't. Strangely, there was no mention of ice cream or pool parties.

part of BBN

have you seen the workout videos UK athletics has been posting on youtube? You should run them down if you haven't. Strangely, there was no mention of ice cream or pool parties.
    Yes. Went to post one today but it didnt do as I wanted. Very impressive though !! Any UK football fans need to check it out.
    Type in "Mark Stoops training" and scroll down and you will see it under winter conditioning.

Within 3 years they will be in a New Years Day caliber bowl.

Would love to see them in the Chick-Fila Bowl.

Hopefully against Clemson, we owe them one for Marty Moore.

And 12/31 in a game that always sells out, would be great

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post

Hopefully against Clemson, we owe them one for Marty Moore.

That '93 team, with Pookie Jones at QB, running the stacked-I formation, was fun to watch.

Side note: 1993 was also the last season that both UK and IU both played in bowl games. And, if I'm not mistaken, Howard Schnellenberger's best Louisville team was that year, also.

Not bad for "basketball" schools, which too often is used as a cop-out by fan bases to justify sub-par football. But, to the credit of UK fans, I've never witnessed that kind of defeatist attitude from your end.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post

Hopefully against Clemson, we owe them one for Marty Moore

That Clemson Bowl game was a microcosm of UK football for so long. That play and so many games that turned on freak plays. That Sabin led LSU loss on the last play.
    I even remember a game where Lorezen threw a "touchdown" to a wide open receiver running in the clear (at Georgia) only to have him fumble at the goal line without being touched by a defender.
    Yes we have certainly had our moments. Hopefully you are right about the Bowl !

part of BBN

Potential transfer ?

With a week until spring football, the good news just keeps on coming. Braylon Heard, a sophomore running back at Nebraska, has decided to transfer, and it appears that Kentucky is very high on his list. Heard is from Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, which should sound very familiar to you by now since it’s the alma mater of both Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow, who was on Nebraska’s staff prior to leaving for UK. Coming out of high school, the four-star Heard was ranked the fifth best running back in the nation and the 57th overall player in the 2010 class. Last year, he averaged 6.69 yards per carry in 55 attempts and scored three touchdowns, but was unhappy with his reduced role in the Husker offense.

Heard will visit Kentucky in the coming weeks, along with West Virginia, Pitt, and potentially Louisville. He’s been granted an unconditional release by Nebraska, and will be available for the 2014 season as a redshirt junior.

part of BBN

UK Target : Drew Barker

-Drew Barker-‏@D_Barker7
    I have committed to play in the 2014 Army All-American game! @ArmyAllAmerican

I have a feeling this kid is going to be special, wherever he goes.

part of BBN

2 tidbits:

Spring Practice starts this week !

and

Drew Barker visits USC (Spurrier) this weekend :

part of BBN

Probably odds are slim but at least it is new territory being in articles like this :

Odds Kentucky out-Recruits Georgia, Alabama for 4-Star DE Dante Sawyer

The Kentucky Wildcats are in the running with the Georgia Bulldogs and Alabama Crimson Tide for the commitment of 4-star weak-side defensive end Dante Sawyer.

Come again?

Sawyer is an extremely talented recruit who projects to be good at the college level. He checks in at 6'3'', 240 pounds and is ranked as the No. 14 weak-side defensive end in the 2014 class, according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

He's from Suwanee, Ga., so it makes sense that the Bulldogs are involved, and Alabama is always in the mix with big-time recruits—but Kentucky?

According to Kipp Adams of ESPN.com, the Wildcats are in Sawyer's top three:

Sawyer says for the most part he considers all of the schools that have offered to be on equal ground, but then admitted that three programs stand out at the moment, with one school possibly in the lead.

“Kentucky, Alabama and UGA are my top three, with Tennessee coming strong,” Sawyer said.

He goes on to talk about how Kentucky is recruiting him:

“Kentucky is showing me a lot of love right now, and I like their facilities and what they are about to do,” Sawyer said. “They write me every day, I stay in contact with them daily and they are doing everything they can to try and get me. They are recruiting me more aggressively than anyone right now.”

With that said, Alabama may very well be the leader for his commitment, per Adams' report:

If Georgia, Kentucky or any other school is going to sign Sawyer, they might have to beat out the back-to-back defending National Champions.

“I am always going to love Alabama,” Sawyer said. “I feel like Tuscaloosa, Ala., is a second home to me and me and Coach (Kirby) Smart are really cool. They might be the team to beat right now.”

Before we go any further, I would be remiss not to give Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops all the credit in the world. The fact that the Wildcats are even in this conversation is a huge testament to his abilities as a recruiter. Stoops is the right guy for the job at Kentucky, and if he can make that football program relevant at all in the SEC—that says a lot about him as a coach.

Turn Off Ads?