Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2013

Re: UK Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Living in West Virginia, it's kinda like WVU-Marshall, except UK-UofL is a little more even in terms of talent.
    It's really nothing like WV/Marshall other than maybe during the Petrino era when Louisville was pounding UK most years or right at the end of the Ron Cooper era/first year of the JLS era when Tim Couch's teams blasted Louisville twice. There was never the perceived gap in quality of programs like in WV/Marshall. I mean, the year before the series renewed, Louisville beat Texas, Arizona State, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. No rational person thought UK was out of Louisville's league.

There's really not a good comparison I can think of for a rivarly in football. Maybe NC State/UNC?

Both teams can live without the game, I suppose, but it's almost always the toughest ticket for both teams and guarantees a sellout (which neither team really is sure of against any other opponent on a regular basis). Seems silly for the teams not to play, but I can understand why it might happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

UK is a perennial top 25 in National Attendance even with horrible teams. UL nowhere close to that, the high school schedule they play doesn't help but the pizza pit doesn't hold that many anyway.

UK should never have agreed to play UL in football in the first place.

part of BBN

Read this article today ( posting a portion) on UK's OC Neal Brown:

When you think of up-tempo college football offenses; ones with option quarterbacks and high speed tailbacks, often names like Chip Kelly, Rich Rodriguez, and Gus Malzahn come to mind. Their fast paced offenses are not a new fad in football, it is a strategy many teams focus on but few can perfect. Fast-paced offenses result in more snaps per game, which in theory translates to more points. In its most simple terms: rather than attempt to hold your opponents without scoring, the goal is to simply score more than your opponent. Piling on, if you will. It strays away from the concept of “defense wins championships” and focuses on as many points as possible. The downside is it forces your own defense to play more snaps, which, if your team is not balanced, may result in a broken philosophy.

If you run a high octane offense, a defensive balance is a must. Fortunately for Kentucky football, it seems to be focusing in the right areas. Hiring a defensive minded head coach who created one of the most ferocious units in the country over the last couple of years, and bringing in one of the most explosive offensive minds in the game, the Cats appear to have it figured out. On paper, it seems to be a match made in heaven.

As story states, Stoops defensive mind will hopefully compliment Brown perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's really nothing like WV/Marshall other than maybe during the Petrino era when Louisville was pounding UK most years or right at the end of the Ron Cooper era/first year of the JLS era when Tim Couch's teams blasted Louisville twice. There was never the perceived gap in quality of programs like in WV/Marshall. I mean, the year before the series renewed, Louisville beat Texas, Arizona State, Pittsburgh and Michigan State. No rational person thought UK was out of Louisville's league.

There's really not a good comparison I can think of for a rivarly in football. Maybe NC State/UNC?

Both teams can live without the game, I suppose, but it's almost always the toughest ticket for both teams and guarantees a sellout (which neither team really is sure of against any other opponent on a regular basis). Seems silly for the teams not to play, but I can understand why it might happen.
    That's why I said UK UofL is more even in terms of talent. It is similar in that it's an in state rivarly being talked about ending, although the other one is extremely lopsided in terms of talent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    That's why I said UK UofL is more even in terms of talent. It is similar in that it's an in state rivarly being talked about ending, although the other one is extremely lopsided in terms of talent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Other than the fact that both series could potentially end, I don't really see ANY similarity between the two series.

Pretty similar in terms of relative fan base size. Marshall might actually have a larger % of fans in WV than UL does in KY.

part of BBN

Lost out today for 4-star receiver Lonnie Johnson who picked OSU (Buckeyes) a few minutes ago. Glad we are now in competition for some of these kids though.

9. Likes:

Joseph (05-12-2013)

part of BBN

After losing out on one yesterday, Stoops gets back on track :

Three-star safety Kobie Walker pledged his commitment to Mark Stoops and the Wildcats.
    Walker, out of Olney, Maryland, also had offers from Arizona, Miami, NC State, Wisconsin and Oklahoma State, among others. He’s the 36th-ranked safety in the 2014 class according to Rivals.com.

Are there any bad seats in Commonwealth stadium? I am going to buy tickets for the Miami RedHawks game there in early September.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Are there any bad seats in Commonwealth stadium? I am going to buy tickets for the Miami RedHawks game there in early September.
    Commonwealth is a beautiful stadium without many bad seats. That being said, avoid the corners in the upper deck and if you are going to wear red do NOT sit near the student section. I don't know if they would be as bad to Miami fans, but UofL fans are tormented mercilessly near the student section. I have seen several games at Commonwealth and have had a generally good experience and I wear red (just not near the student section).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Commonwealth is a beautiful stadium without many bad seats. That being said, avoid the corners in the upper deck and if you are going to wear red do NOT sit near the student section. I don't know if they would be as bad to Miami fans, but UofL fans are tormented mercilessly near the student section. I have seen several games at Commonwealth and have had a generally good experience and I wear red (just not near the student section).
    Thanks Captain!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

part of BBN

Weekend news :

Mark Stoops and the football staff received a commitment from Jarrett LaRubbio, a 6’5”, 260 lb. offensive guard on Saturday. LaRubbio, ranked 16th at his position by Rivals.com, is from....Ohio.
    The pipeline from Ohio to Lexington keeps feeding the program and now six of the current eight commitments in Kentucky’s 2014 class are from the Buckeye state.
    LaRubbio chose the Wildcats over Nebraska, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Vandy, and Arizona State, among others.

15. Likes:

WMR (05-27-2013)

part of BBN

Wednesday's news:

On Wednesday, the 2014 UK football class got a little bit bigger. Three-star safety Jared Tucker committed to UK during his visit to Lexington, choosing the Cats over Miami, Mississippi State, Louisville, Ole Miss, Florida, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee, and many others

17. Likes:

WMR (05-31-2013)

Stoops is killing it so far. I especially love the emphasis on recruiting Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Stoops is killing it so far. I especially love the emphasis on recruiting Ohio.
    Uc and the second tier BIGTen teams have to step up their game.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?