Re: UK Football 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well, at least now we know which team is the worst in the SEC
    I knew that before kickoff.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

This was a quote from MB after the game today :

"The goal is to continue to build upon the foundation that Joker has put in place," Barnhart said. "The young talent we've got, the respect and accountability that he's gained in the locker room, they way we conduct our business, those are the things we want to build upon."

:facepalm:

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    :facepalm:
    Nothing wrong with the foundation. The players are there, it's just a matter of getting a coach who can put the pieces together and motivate them out of their minds.

The newest name is Mark Stoops, brother of Bob and Mike and the current defensive coordinator from Florida State. I made the comment that the Stoops family is going the route of the Bowden's. Just because one has success doesn't mean you pluck another one from the family tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Wonder if the wait is to go after someone still a head coach elsewhere?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

part of BBN

I heard some billed last night's game between LT/SJS as the future UK coach bowl.
    Dykes would be okay I guess but dont know much on the other guy. Neither would be my top choice though.
    Last edited by jmac; 11-25-2012 at 09:41 PM.

part of BBN

1) Petrino
    2) Dykes

DO NOT WANT:
    Fulmer, Cutcliffe, Pease

It's looking like Mike MacIntyre may be the coach. He's currently at San Jose State and has built them into a 10-2 winner in a very short time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Is he going to make UK competitive in the SEC?

Can he recruit the south?

Not a hire that is going to get anyone excited about UK football... I'm guessing most fans, rather than running back, will take a wait and see attitude. I know I will.

Pretty sickening we could have had one of the top five minds in college football but instead are going to end up rolling the dice with someone like this.

Is he going to make UK competitive in the SEC?

Can he recruit the south?

Not a hire that is going to get anyone excited about UK football... I'm guessing most fans, rather than running back, will take a wait and see attitude. I know I will.

Pretty sickening we could have had one of the top five minds in college football but instead are going to end up rolling the dice with someone like this.
    If it makes you feel any better, none of the other SEC schools are looking at Petrino either.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

If Petrino's school commitment is one of the things questioned then here is my take.
    If the Cats get Dykes or Mike Stoops for example and UK has a couple of good seasons and Georgia or Auburn came knocking.......guess what Dykes & co would be long gone. Practically any coach UK hires will use UK as a stepping stone. Mumme would have and Guy Morriss did. So to say BP wouldnt be commited isnt really fair as I dont think for a better job, the others would either.
    Petrino doesnt have much of a personality (if any at all).
    However, as a UK fan , I can say Cal doesnt have the best either. Dont get me wrong, if he is in front of an ESPN mic, he is fun to listen to.As far as the coaches call-in shows. I never thought Cal enjoyed them very much as taking calls from Billy Bob in Eastern KY wanting to know why Sam Malone doesnt play more just doesnt seem to be what Cal wants to answer.
    Yes BP had some other outside activities but probably the only difference between him and many other coaches is, he got caught.
    With the level of improvement of the SEC, I really feel UK needs a big name coach (Petrino) or a gimmick (Dykes fast paced offense) to compete quickly in the SEC.
    UT will be better immediately, I have no doubt. No longer can UK count Vandy and Miss State as automatic wins and then of course we have the addition of A&M and Mizzou. Ole Miss seems to be getting back on track.
    I think a lower profile coach (as I'm afraid MB will hire ) may well win at UK but it would be a much longer process than a big name or gimmick.
    The bottom of the SEC has improved drastically and it is up to UK to take the step too.
    To me .....Petrino( who they say is now out of the running) and Dykes would be a 2 home runs.
    Some of these other coaches may be good but are only "singles" to me. (though some I dont as much about so they may be better than I think).
    As far as Mark Stoops....I just hope MB knows if he hires him, he will not be bringing the FSU defense with him.

@KyleTucker_CJ: Per a source inside UK athletics, Butch Jones, Sonny Dykes and Mark Stoops have all said "no thanks" to Kentucky.

@KyleTucker_CJ: Source on UK football search: "All the agents are telling their coaches it's a dead-end job and if they're an up-and-comer, don't touch it."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    @KyleTucker_CJ: Per a source inside UK athletics, Butch Jones, Sonny Dykes and Mark Stoops have all said "no thanks" to Kentucky.

@KyleTucker_CJ: Source on UK football search: "All the agents are telling their coaches it's a dead-end job and if they're an up-and-comer, don't touch it."
    Could be why Mike Macintyre is the only one left.

The coaching carousel is only getting started. Some of these coaches might be waiting to see if a Louisville, WVU (I wouldn't be shocked if Holgorsen leaves), or whoever takes the first line of jobs comes open.

Edit: Matt Jones is disputing Mark Stoops, says Stoops is very much in the running. I think it will be settled this week, but the names being thrown out are showing that IF the coach does fix it, it won't be quick.
    Last edited by WVRed; 11-26-2012 at 09:52 PM.

If UK's not going to invest the money it takes to field a legitimate SEC team, they're probably right.

At least we can afford to pay our women's basketball coach over a million dollars a year. For a sport that hemorrhages money...

Sounding like the next coach will be Mark Stoops... hope he gets to hire some great coordinators.

Turn Off Ads?