Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2013

part of BBN

Re: UK Football 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Mike Horton, a 4 star running back from Westchester, OH becomes Stoops 3rd verbal for the 2014 class.

Rivals: #22 RB, #209 overall
    Scout: #53 RB
    247: #49 RB

Chose UK Over: Florida State, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Cincinnati and several others.
    A tweet :

J.Rowland @RowlandRIVALS

Horton's commitment means #UK now has pledges from three prospects that will be ranked among Ohio's Top 25 seniors, or contend for that.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

More news today for new Cats and both from Ohio:

Darryl Long, a 3-star TE, who will end up a 4 star, out of the class of 2014 in Ohio, just announced that he will attend Kentucky next year.

and shortly thereafter :

Shortly after hearing of Darryl Long’s commitment to Kentucky, DE Tymere Dubose decided he wanted to come on down too. Dubose (who is from Ohio) has chosen Kentucky over Michigan State, West Virginia, Arkansas, and Maryland. At 6’6″ and 260 lbs, Dubose will be a force to be reckoned with on the defensive line

part of BBN

With things a little slow following the Spring game, here is a little info on Za' Darius Smith who will be a major factor on defense. Great job by Stoops to get a top juco who can help right away.

Junior College: The nation's No. 1 junior college strongside defensive end prospect as ranked by JCGridiron.com ... The nation's No. 10 overall juco prospect, and No. 2 defensive end, by ESPN ... Listed No. 15 overall, and the No. 2 weakside defensive end, by 24/7 Sports ... Totaled 47 tackles, including 6.5 quarterback sacks and 11 total tackles for loss, as a sophomore at East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, Miss. ... Named second-team All-America by the National Junior College Athletic Association ... Also named to the juco all-region and all-state teams ... Helped EMCC to an 8-2 record ... Made 19 tackles, featuring 4.5 sacks and seven total TFL, as a freshman ... EMCC won the 2011 NJCAA national championship with a 12-0 mark ..

part of BBN

Brown said he was looking for the next Tim Couch. Of course, just so happens they are recruiting this kid named Barker.
    The USC mentioned is Spurrier's guys and not the Trojans.

QB Drew Barker of Hebron, KY announced Thursday he will make his college decision known on May 10th. He plans to reveal the choice at a ceremony at his school at 3:30 PM. Barker confirmed Thursday night he is choosing between USC, Kentucky and Tennessee.

part of BBN

Got to say I agree with MB on this. Kentucky would definitely not benefit from a 9 game SEC schedule.

Mitch Barnhart is not in favor of the SEC adding a league game to increase the conference schedule to nine.
    “Nine (league) games is not something we favor. I do not think a nine-game schedule would serve Kentucky well.”

“History says it’s very difficult for us to have the level of depth, the second, third, fourth lines of players, that some of the other schools in our league have just as a means of their in-state recruiting situations. When we have to play a long line of league games, it’s a grind, our teams can get beaten up physically. It’s better for us, for our players, when the schedule allows us to have some so-called breathers, so that our kids can sort of restore themselves physically in-season.”

Come on Barker.

Got to say I agree with MB on this. Kentucky would definitely not benefit from a 9 game SEC schedule.

Mitch Barnhart is not in favor of the SEC adding a league game to increase the conference schedule to nine.
    “Nine (league) games is not something we favor. I do not think a nine-game schedule would serve Kentucky well.”

“History says it’s very difficult for us to have the level of depth, the second, third, fourth lines of players, that some of the other schools in our league have just as a means of their in-state recruiting situations. When we have to play a long line of league games, it’s a grind, our teams can get beaten up physically. It’s better for us, for our players, when the schedule allows us to have some so-called breathers, so that our kids can sort of restore themselves physically in-season.”
    I assume a 9 game SEC schedule would effectively end the Louisville/Kentucky football series. I cannot imagine UK will want to play anything but expected gimmes in the non-conference if they are going to play 9 SEC games.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I assume a 9 game SEC schedule would effectively end the Louisville/Kentucky football series. I cannot imagine UK will want to play anything but expected gimmes in the non-conference if they are going to play 9 SEC games.
    Are there any UK fans that would be fine with that? Every UK fan I know hates the idea but that is probably biased by living in Louisville.

Barker committed.

Awesome

part of BBN

Barker : “Coach Brown told me they’re going to pass it low 50s or upper 40s every game.”

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Are there any UK fans that would be fine with that? Every UK fan I know hates the idea but that is probably biased by living in Louisville.
    For a team trying to build itself back up again, I sure wouldnt want to play 9 SEC games. As stated above, it would almost assuredly end the U of L series.

For a team trying to build itself back up again, I sure wouldnt want to play 9 SEC games. As stated above, it would almost assuredly end the U of L series.
    They should drop UL if they go to 9 games. UK needs three bunnies to build that record every year. UL will never be a bunny just for the rivalry aspect alone.

Great recruit in Barker. Hopefully he's the cornerstone of UK coming to be, at least, very competitive in the SEC.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Taking a QB away from the Ole Balls Coach... not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I'm kinda mixed.

On one hand, its a state rivalry and UK would be looked at as running scared. The state would miss out on revenue being spent selling out two stadiums that likely wouldn't be replaced by the two scheduling a lesser team, and with Stoops coming to Kentucky, expectations for knocking off Louisville in the future are going to be at a fever pitch.

On the other, it's not as big a rivalry as basketball and if Louisville is the difference between making a bowl game or not, it's a tough sell.

Living in West Virginia, it's kinda like WVU-Marshall, except UK-UofL is a little more even in terms of talent. Once WVU left for the Big 12, it pretty much ended the Friends of Coal Bowl (although it would have likely been ended anyways). My biggest fear would be that if talk of the series were to end that politicians (Mitch McConnell, who is up for re-election and is going to be facing competition) decide to stay out of it. Joe Manchin was the reason WVU and Marshall got together to begin with.

Which brings me to another point, I think the bowl games are over-saturated as is. Most UK fans are happy with making it to Nashville for the Music City Bowl year in and year out but there are a lot higher expectations at other schools (WVU in particular, where I know people who wanted Oliver Luck to turn down the Pinstripe Bowl because they didn't feel they deserved to be in a bowl game). I want to see Kentucky in contention for a BCS spot sometime in my lifetime, not just settling for a lesser bowl bid. Even the Outback Bowl again would be an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

More on Barker:

Another quote from Barker, who's listed as the 6th best quarterback in the 2014 class and picked Kentucky over South Carolina and Tennessee this afternoon . Barker said that “six months ago, I couldn’t imagine putting on a UK cap today.” Barker went on to say that new coach Mark Stoops has turned things around. Joker Phillips didn’t even know who Drew Barker was after he attended a UK camp last year.

Turn Off Ads?