Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Comedy Central Roast...

The Comedy Central Roast...

I am sorry if anyone enjoyed the Roseanne Roast last night, but I think the Roasts are just getting watered down. If you look at the more early roasts of Pam Anderson and Jeff Foxworthy were great. They had a lot of random celebtrities and comedians on the stage. What made them great were that the bits were original and overall the roast featured a lot of different people taking their shot at the star which added a variety of comedy.

The recent Roasts like the ones of Joan Rivers, Charlie Sheen, and Roseanne have only had like 10 maybe 12 people on the dais who all tell the same jokes.

One of the best parts of the older Roasts was comedians pointing out the lesser known celebrities on the stage like Dennis Rodman being ripped on in the Pam Anderson one. Don't get me wrong, there were some funny parts in the Roast last night, but it just does not compare to the older ones.

Hopefully, Comedy Central goes back to their old ways and finds a perfect mix of comedians, celebrities, and a "Roastee" that can bring the annual show back to its roots.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Comedy Central Roast...

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I am sorry if anyone enjoyed the Roseanne Roast last night, but I think the Roasts are just getting watered down. If you look at the more early roasts of Pam Anderson and Jeff Foxworthy were great. They had a lot of random celebtrities and comedians on the stage. What made them great were that the bits were original and overall the roast featured a lot of different people taking their shot at the star which added a variety of comedy.

The recent Roasts like the ones of Joan Rivers, Charlie Sheen, and Roseanne have only had like 10 maybe 12 people on the dais who all tell the same jokes.

One of the best parts of the older Roasts was comedians pointing out the lesser known celebrities on the stage like Dennis Rodman being ripped on in the Pam Anderson one. Don't get me wrong, there were some funny parts in the Roast last night, but it just does not compare to the older ones.

Hopefully, Comedy Central goes back to their old ways and finds a perfect mix of comedians, celebrities, and a "Roastee" that can bring the annual show back to its roots.
    Did you see the Jeff Ross Roasts America show? He goes to theaters, calls people on stage, and goes after them. It is great.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I love all of the roasts. I find them all absolutely hilarious. My favorite roaster would have to be Jeff Ross. That guy makes me laugh the whole time he's up there.

I wasn't able to watch the Roseanne Roast though. Does anybody know if CC is showing it again?

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    I love all of the roasts. I find them all absolutely hilarious. My favorite roaster would have to be Jeff Ross. That guy makes me laugh the whole time he's up there.
    I love them too. Lisa Lampanelli (spelling?) is awesome too.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    I wasn't able to watch the Roseanne Roast though. Does anybody know if CC is showing it again?
    Probably another 50 times in the next two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I love them too. Lisa Lampanelli (spelling?) is awesome too.
    She is a big part of my argument. She was awesome in the Pam Anderson and Flava Flav roasts, but nowadays it seems that CC has put a few lesser known comedians mixed in with a few other washed up celebrities.

The older roasts had Lampanelli, Giraldo, DePaulo, and Ross with a few celebrities who made some funny comments hear and there.

The Roseanne one had Ross, Shumer, and Jesselnick (spelling?). I am sorry but Ellen Barkin and Carrie Fischer were terrible. I think CC has also cut some of the jokes and bits out because Gilbert Gottfried was going down the line ripping on the dais, but for some reason skipped half of them.

I am not saying they are not funny, but they do not compare to the older ones that pushed the limits.

Yeah, Comedy Central cut this joke by Jeff Ross to Seth Green...

“Seth, congratulations. This is actually a great night for you,” said Ross, who came dressed as Joe Paterno. “You haven’t gotten this much attention since you shot all those people in Aurora.” Green, like Holmes on the evening of July 20, has a full head of red hair.
    “I’m kidding,” Ross continued. “You are not like James Holmes. At least he did something in a movie theater that people remember!”

I thought Jeselneck was incredible in the Roast of Trump. I thought he was extremely mediocre in the Roast of Roseanne

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I thought Jeselneck was incredible in the Roast of Trump. I thought he was extremely mediocre in the Roast of Roseanne
    Agreed. I remember Shumer being awesome in one of the other Roasts (can't remember which one), but she wasn't as great in Roseanne's.

Ok, I just watched the Roseanne Roast, and I have to say it wasn't bad. A few things that stood out to me:
    Seth Green was great. I am not a Seth Green fan, but my goodness I had no idea he was that funny. He had me laughing out loud many different times and was a very pleasant suprise.
    Ellen Barkin was tough to watch. Not very funny, and kind of awkward up there on the stage. That was the negative part of it.
    Jane Lynch wasn't terrible, but I wasn't impressed either. I guess good enough, but I had some high expectations for her, and she didn't really exceed them.
    Jeff Ross was good. I'm a big Jeff Ross fan, so I always find him pretty funny.
    Gilbert Gottfried was awesome. I hate his voice, but he was almost as good as Seth Green. I wasn't expecting a lot from him, but he really exceeded my expectations.
    Wayne Brady was good. Just what I expected him to be.
    Amy Schumer was a suprise. Very funny and I enjoyed her when I didn't think I would. Oh, and I watched her stand-up that came on after the roast, and it was very funny.
    Wasn't able to see Anthony Jeselnik. Wish I could've. He is usually pretty funny.
    Last edited by WDE; 08-18-2012 at 11:13 PM.

roasts will never be as good as they once were with dean martin

Turn Off Ads?