Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Didi Gregorius

Didi Gregorius

What kind of future do people think that he has with this organization? He seems to be able to hit for average, but his discipline isn't exactly top notch and he does have a somewhat high K rate for a guy that only walks 6% of the time. He doesn't have power (although he seems to have had a power surge recently at AAA.) I know his glove should play at the position, and he's a lefty, but I just don't see where there's room for him moving forward with who we already have in the organization.

Basically I think he's blocked by Cozart (great glove at the major level, and better bat at every other level except what Didi has been putting up in AAA this year.) If not Cozart then there's Hamilton coming up who is obviously one of the more exciting prospects in baseball.

So what do you guys think? Could he be a player that we are looking to groom and bring up, or is he a decent trade chip?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Didi Gregorius

If Hamilton sticks at short (big if there), Gregorius is blocked above and behind.

Unless the Reds are willing to take the gamble that Gregorius' power is real, he's a trade chip or backup middle infielder. In the past, they've been unwilling to do that.

I hope he can OPS 900+ AAA level and 800 at the major league level, but suspect he's no more than a 700 OPS guy riding a hot streak. Hope other teams are looking at his Louisville numbers as the "real" DiDi.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If Hamilton sticks at short (big if there), Gregorius is blocked above and behind.
    I really don't think that is going to happen. If Didi is as great as it's said he is in the field, Hamilton won't be necessary at SS. If Billy is still playing there when he reaches the big league level, it's a sign the Reds aren't happy with the rest of their SS depth chart.

I personally think Billy's a center fielder from the day they move him out there. Which should be soon. Hopefully. He doesn't have a particularly good arm and his hands are no better than adequate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Didi DOES have power. In the sense that he could potentially hit you 15 home runs one year. He isn't Norris Hopper up there.

His strikeout rate this year is 14.1%. That is a high rate of contact. Only Brandon Phillips and Ryan Hanigan make more contact on the Reds. His plate discipline is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Didi DOES have power. In the sense that he could potentially hit you 15 home runs one year. He isn't Norris Hopper up there.

His strikeout rate this year is 14.1%. That is a high rate of contact. Only Brandon Phillips and Ryan Hanigan make more contact on the Reds. His plate discipline is fine.
    How is Didi's spray chart? I can't remember Cozart hitting a ball to right field for a hit this year (maybe I missed it), so I was just wondering if Didi uses the entire field. I realize he's only a rookie, but Cozart sure swings at a LOT of pitches, seems to be immune to taking a walk, and he pulls everything. Just seems like he's going to need some adjustments when pitchers throw everything away to him.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    How is Didi's spray chart? I can't remember Cozart hitting a ball to right field for a hit this year (maybe I missed it), so I was just wondering if Didi uses the entire field. I realize he's only a rookie, but Cozart sure swings at a LOT of pitches, seems to be immune to taking a walk, and he pulls everything. Just seems like he's going to need some adjustments when pitchers throw everything away to him.
    Last year Didi was 13.3%, 15.6%, 20.4% to the outfield (LCR).

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    I really don't think that is going to happen. If Didi is as great as it's said he is in the field, Hamilton won't be necessary at SS. If Billy is still playing there when he reaches the big league level, it's a sign the Reds aren't happy with the rest of their SS depth chart.
    I don't think that's necessarily the only way to look at it, Doc. Hamilton, as a SS, is a difference-maker-- a true monster WAR guy at a position of scarcity.

A CF may be, according to the Reds' way of thinking, easier to obtain or develop. Stubbs could finally click offensively. Heisey might prove that last season's power totals and his minor league obp can co-exist. By the time Hamilton arrives, Ryan LaMarre, Bryson Smith, or someone else from the minor leagues could also develop. Or the Reds could deal for a guy (Span, Fowler, et al) or sign a guy they really, really like.

The combination of Hamilton at SS and whatever CF may be a better choice than Hamilton in CF and either Cozart or Gregorius at SS.

The question is how he compares to Zack Cozart offensively. DiDi has certainly been great so far in AAA in a very small sample size.

Defensively, my understanding is he is superior to Cozart, who is already pretty good.

I agree with those who have Hamilton pegged for CF.

Still though, I'd be shopping DiDi and H-Rod in a deadline deal for someone like Upton, Choo or Fowler.
    Go BLUE!!!

Maybe discipline was the wrong word -- approach perhaps? He doesn't walk a whole lot (not that Cozart does either.)
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be shopping DiDi and H-Rod in a deadline deal for someone like Upton, Choo or Fowler.
    From your mouth to Jocketty's ear, hopefully.

I like both of their youth and level, but neither is anywhere close to a difference-maker. Fowler, IMO, is just that. Choo may be. Upton definitely is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Maybe discipline was the wrong word -- approach perhaps? He doesn't walk a whole lot (not that Cozart does either.)
    You don't need to walk a whole lot to be successful or even valuable. You just can't also strike out a bunch either. Cozart is striking out 19.6% of the time he steps to the plate this season. That won't work if you aren't hitting for a lot of power or also drawing a decent amount of walks.

Let's just say that Gregorius walks between 6-7% of the time and strikes out 12-14% of the time and hits 10 home runs in a season. Here are the players who have averaged that (I went with 1 HR for every 60 PA) from 2009-Today and their slash line over that time:

Code:
    Name	         AVG	OBP	SLG
    Aaron Hill	.245	.304	.407
    Michael Young	.301	.342	.433
    Melky Cabrera	.303	.347	.449
    Kurt Suzuki	.234	.291	.354
    BrandonPhillips	.290	.342	.446
    Martin Prado	.289	.337	.425
    Young, Cabrera and Prado are all in that 50-55 PA's per HR range.

There is a bit of range in the outcomes there as Hill and Suzuki are on the low end, while the other guys are are bunched together for the most part. But it demonstrates that the range of things Didi does certainly can work into an offensive player of value.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 07-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Doug can you compare Cozart and Didi mainly defensively and from an overall perspective? Going forward who would be your starting SS if your the Reds?

I know I really like Cozart out there defensively, I don't really see any flaws from him I'd rate him above average or better in every aspect of defense. And offensively he has some tools, his approach just is flawed, that could change over time. But overall I am happy with him being the starter for the next 10 years.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-27-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Doug can you compare Cozart and Didi mainly defensively and from an overall perspective? Going forward who would be your starting SS if your the Reds?
    Didi is certainly a more toolsy shortstop. Better range, better arm, better glove. With that said, Cozart is more sure handed and still has good range, arm and glove. That is to be expected though, Didi is 22 and Cozart turns 27 in 2 weeks.

With the bat, Cozart has more power. Didi has the better hit tool and contact rates. I want to see Didi season some in AAA before I would choose one or the other, but I think Didi has a decent chance to be a better overall player than Cozart.

I don't see any reason to trade Didi or H-Rod unless they are being used as trade chips for a true difference maker like Upton, Zobrist, or Fowler. He is still a very young player and the Reds need to be in no rush to hurry him to the big-league roster.

If Cozart continues to develop offensively I don't see a problem with moving him to 3rd, Frazier to LF (once Ludwick leaves), Hamilton in CF and Didi at SS on Opening Day 2014. The Reds still have several viable options for their weaker position player spots and don't need to rush anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Didi is certainly a more toolsy shortstop. Better range, better arm, better glove. With that said, Cozart is more sure handed and still has good range, arm and glove. That is to be expected though, Didi is 22 and Cozart turns 27 in 2 weeks.

With the bat, Cozart has more power. Didi has the better hit tool and contact rates. I want to see Didi season some in AAA before I would choose one or the other, but I think Didi has a decent chance to be a better overall player than Cozart.
    Interesting, I certainly feel like if we put Cozart out on the market we could get a pretty good player back. Cozart feels like a better overall SS than alot of teams have right now. So Didi is a legit chip now and possibly even better going forward.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?