Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday July 29 Minor League Updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sunday July 29 Minor League Updates

The Dragons started at 1 and are up 2-1 after 2.5 innings.

Yorman Rodriguez is 1-2 with a double and 2 RBI. Ryan Wright and Kyle Waldrop are each 1-1.

Everyone else plays later in the day.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Sunday July 29 Minor League Updates

Dragons still up 2-1 after 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Dragons started at 1 and are up 2-1 after 2.5 innings.

Yorman Rodriguez is 1-2 with a double and 2 RBI. Ryan Wright and Kyle Waldrop are each 1-1.

Everyone else plays later in the day.
    Waldrop seems to be taking a steady course toward the big leagues. As a 20-year-old, left-handed, athletic, 6-foot-3 outfielder, he entered the day with an .815 OPS for the month of July. He seldom seems to put up the monster games that bring immediate attention, but he keeps producing enough extra-base hits to solidify and maybe enhance his prospect status. I like the guy. As intriguing as Lutz is, you could make a case for Waldrop as the best pure outfield prospect in the system. (That said, you could also make a case for LaMarre, Yorman, possibly even Gelalich, Bryson Smith or Bill Hamilton. I'm just putting Waldrop in the photo.)
    Last edited by mace; 07-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Gerson gets through the fourth without allowing a run. 2-1 Dragons after four.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Waldrop seems to be taking a steady course toward the big leagues. As a 20-year-old, left-handed, athletic, 6-foot-3 outfielder, he entered the day with an .815 OPS for the month of July. He seldom seems to put up the monster games that bring immediate attention, but he keeps producing enough extra-base hits to solidify and maybe enhance his prospect status. I like the guy. As intriguing as Lutz is, you could make a case for Waldrop as the best pure outfield prospect in the system. (That said, you could also make a case for LaMarre, Yorman, possibly even Gelalich, Bryson Smith or Bill Hamilton. I'm just putting Waldrop in the photo.)
    I wouldn't put Waldrop in that group yet. Nor would I put Smith in there. Waldrop is intriguing though.

Dragons don't score in the top of the 5th. Still 2-1 Dragons after 4.5.

Despite giving up two two-out singles, Gerson doesn't allow a run in the fifth. Dragons remain up 2-1 after 5.

I wouldn't put Waldrop in that group yet. Nor would I put Smith in there. Waldrop is intriguing though.
    I'm trying to figure out Smith. Each time I see an affiliate, he's not playing. He screams org guy, but man, he just hasn't stopped hitting. I see him as that org guy that eventually makes it to AAA, hits there too, then makes it as a 25th man for stints here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Two words: Jesse Winker
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'm trying to figure out Smith. Each time I see an affiliate, he's not playing. He screams org guy, but man, he just hasn't stopped hitting. I see him as that org guy that eventually makes it to AAA, hits there too, then makes it as a 25th man for stints here and there.
    I am trying to figure it out too. Pensacola is the first non-launching pad he has played in so far, so I am waiting to see how he does there over a larger sample size. Not much power and iffy plate discipline leaves open plenty of questions. Career BABIP is over .360 as well.

Didi Gregorius singled in the first for Louisville. 9 game hitting streak. Hitting .324 for the Bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Two words: Jesse Winker
    Good point. I neglected him. It might be a little early to put him in that company; but then again, it might be foolish not to. He's definitely in the discussion.

Gerson's good effort was wasted in a 4-3 Dayton loss. Ryan Kemp took the lumps. Ryan Wright had two hits, Spencer Dickinson had three walks.

Didi Gregorius just cracked a home run for the Bats. What makes it better is that there was a split screen going on with the local fire department being interviewed just outside of the stadium. Didi almost hit them with his home run.

Didi Gregorius just cracked a home run for the Bats.
    It's becoming almost a Theo Bowe kind of thing. Bowe couldn't buy a base hit in Dayton, then goes to Bakersfield and tears up High-A. Gregorius showed no power in Pensacola, but comes out blasting in Triple-A. Go figure.

Turn Off Ads?