Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Zack Greinke to the Angels

Zack Greinke to the Angels

From Ken Rosenthal on twitter:

#Brewers getting shortstop Jean Segura and two Double A pitchers from #Angels for Greinke. "Finishing touches" being applied. Deal is done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zack Greinke to the Angels

Great move for the Reds!

Love the idea of Grienke being in the American League and not having to face him again.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Okay, well that settles THAT I guess.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Texas, your move.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Lance said the Angels gave up their #2, #4, and #9 prospects. For a 2 month rental.

Yikes.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

The Brewers acquired Segura, the Angels' top position-player prospect, along with Double-A pitchers John Hellweg and Ariel Pena. The move further depletes an Angels farm system that was already thin in high-level prospects.
    This is interesting because Jim Bowden in his recent ESPN column proposed a Greinke for Segura and Garrett Richards swap. The obvious question is whether or not Hellweg or Pena, either separately or collectively, pan out as well, if not better, on the MLB level than Richards.

Time will tell.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think Lance said the Angels gave up their #2, #4, and #9 prospects. For a 2 month rental.

Yikes.
    Not all prospects are created equal, while their #2 is legit, I don't know enough about their #4 or 6 guy to say much.

But, Greinke had the Angels high on his list of places he would go. The Angels seem to be able to print money. Maybe they have ideas of signing him long term before the year is up and were willing to give up more because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Yikes.
    I have seen all three guys play here in Arkansas. The Angels gave up alot.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

He is supposedly into LA so this might not be a rental.

John Hellweg has 60 walks and 88 strikeouts in 119.2 innings. Nothing special there, despite a big time arm.

Ariel Pena on the other hand is a pretty darn good pitching prospect. Throws 92-95 and can touch higher with a very good slider. Also has a change up, but apparently not on par with his other pitches at all.

Seems like two pretty good prospects and a project with big upside.

I've seen Hellweg twice. He is a work in progress but was consistently throwing between 93 t0 97 mph with his fastball. He is a tall, impressive prospect.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I've seen Hellweg twice. He is a work in progress but was consistently throwing between 93 t0 97 mph with his fastball. He is a tall, impressive prospect.
    Sounds similar to Josh Ravin last season. Big tall pitcher with a real fast fastball and a good breaking ball, but struggles to find the strikezone.

Turn Off Ads?