Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday July 27 Minor League Updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Friday July 27 Minor League Updates

Stephenson on the mound for Dayton. First batter, 96, 97 and breaking ball three pitch strikeout.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Friday June 27 Minor League Updates

Just hit 101!

Stadium gun read 101 on a pitch to the second batter. 5 scouts here....their eyes are lighting up.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Struck out the side, wow.

Is this kid for real? Geez.

That is scary throwing that hard. My arm just aches at the thought of it.

Redseer, how close to accurate is that stadium gun?

Yorman Rodriguez with a double and a walk so far tonight. Battled for that walk after falling behind 1-2. Fouled off a few pitches and took a few more.

Sitting right behind home plate. Fastball sitting 95-98, topping out in triple digits. Has a little bit of sink on it, too. Curve around 77-79, good downward bite. He's showing a change in warmups, 84-86 mph, maybe a little bit of downward movement. Probably will need some work in the future

April 28, 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Yorman Rodriguez with a double and a walk so far tonight. Battled for that walk after falling behind 1-2. Fouled off a few pitches and took a few more.
    I've seen at least one scout's gun read 100+. Some of the scout guns are faster than the stadium gun. After the 101, all five of them just turned to each other like "Did you just get that too?"

April 28, 2006.

It is legit. Guy is a true power arm. Sits in the mid-upper 90's unlike Bailey who was really a 91-94mph guy. Anything more is just to hard on his arm over long term. With Stephenson, that is softball.

Hopefully they can keep him healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    It is legit. Guy is a true power arm. Sits in the mid-upper 90's unlike Bailey who was really a 91-94mph guy. Anything more is just to hard on his arm over long term. With Stephenson, that is softball.

Hopefully they can keep him healthy.
    I know Stephenson can throw that hard, it just doesn't mean that he is every time out.

As for Bailey, I saw him at 94-96, touching 98 in the minors. That didn't last for the whole time he was in the minors, but there was a time when he could do that for long stretches of time.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The California Missile.

Stephenson definitely lost some velocity that inning. Not too surprising, he's got some room to fill out. Got to remember, he's only 18-19 years old.

April 28, 2006.

I know Stephenson can throw that hard, it just doesn't mean that he is every time out.

As for Bailey, I saw him at 94-96, touching 98 in the minors. That didn't last for the whole time he was in the minors, but there was a time when he could do that for long stretches of time.
    No disagreement from me. But I think it was to tough on his arm or at least he thinks so. Starting pitchers generally don't want to pitch from their max effort and I think 94-98mph was all from full effort while 91-95mph is his cruising speed. Still a good arm, classic righty.

Stephs got a elite arm though. I bet 95mph is his cruising speed.

The gun here will bring up some false readings but he looks great. Doubt if the 101 was legit but he was in the high 90's in the first inning. He has been in the 93-95 range since. Using his other pitches with frequency. This kid is the goods.

Turn Off Ads?