Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seth Mejias-Brean

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Seth Mejias-Brean

Any chance this kid gets promoted to Dayton soon? Isn't their third baseman struggling?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Seth Mejias-Brean

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Isn't their third baseman struggling?
    Very yes.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=570616

Has anybody seen him or have a scouting report on him? Just looking at his ASU career numbers spanning 3 seasons and over 700 plate appearances he looks like a complete Judy with 2 HRs.

I know Billings helps inflate offensive numbers, but he is already at 5 HRs over 92 PAs to go along with his .395 average. What is the story, legit bat or Judy that has run into a few?

No one's sure. At Arizona, he supposedly showed a good amount of power in batting practice, but never in games. I believe he's playing below his true level, perhaps in order to gain confidence in a tweak of his swing. The combination of Pioneer League, lower level, and confidence likely mean he's playing above his head, at least a little.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

There might be another Seth Mejias-Brean thread out there, but this is the first one I saw when I did a quick search.

I talked to Seth at RedsFest on Saturday and I asked him how the conversion to catching was going. He said that only lasted a couple weeks and that is over. I followed up to ask him where he would be playing this year, first or third base and he said he hoped third base. I think Seth takes pride in his defense and he has been pretty good at third base in the past.

I just wanted to update RedsZone on this development in case it had not been posted in the past.

7. Likes:

Benihana (12-09-2013),BillDoran (12-09-2013),EditTheSadParts (12-28-2013),lollipopcurve (12-09-2013),marcshoe (12-09-2013),OGB (12-14-2013),Old school 1983 (12-09-2013),REDREAD (12-16-2013),SirFelixCat (12-12-2013),VottoFan54 (12-09-2013)

Thanks, Edd Roush. Personally I'm glad that SMB's catching career is over and I hope he plays 3b this year, obviously his eventual position in Cinti, where I hope he takes over ASAP.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

I had forgotten about the catching experiment with SMB. Glad he's staying at 3B because I think he could be a keeper there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I had forgotten about the catching experiment with SMB. Glad he's staying at 3B because I think he could be a keeper there.
    Agreed. Also the more I hear about this guy, the more I like him.

12. Likes:

mace (12-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Agreed. Also the more I hear about this guy, the more I like him.
    I actually think 3B is more of a near-term (3-5 years) need for the Reds than catcher. The Reds have a young Mes backed by Pena (of a year or two) and Barnhardt waiting in the wings and two or three interesting lower-level prospect that may fill in behind Tucker.

Frazier still has mileage on him at third, but other than SMB I'm not too thrilled with anyone on the farm at the hard corner - with the possible exception of Kevin Franklin (and he's 4 or 5 years away - if he sticks at 3rd).

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I actually think 3B is more of a near-term (3-5 years) need for the Reds than catcher. The Reds have a young Mes backed by Pena (of a year or two) and Barnhardt waiting in the wings and two or three interesting lower-level prospect that may fill in behind Tucker.

Frazier still has mileage on him at third, but other than SMB I'm not too thrilled with anyone on the farm at the hard corner - with the possible exception of Kevin Franklin (and he's 4 or 5 years away - if he sticks at 3rd).
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post

That's fair, but I wouldn't write off Tanner Rahier either.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That's fair, but I wouldn't write off Tanner Rahier either.
    Really hope your right about Rahier, but save for a strong couple of weeks at the beginning of his career, I haven't seen much. It will take a huge breakout season to get him back on the radar, IMO, but I'm pulling for him.

Yeah, I've about given up on Rahier. Unless he breaks out in 2014 he's another pick that fizzled. It happens to the best of them. Gelalich has been another disappointment. Franklin may come around yet - I don't know if he'll ever be selective enough, though. Thing about Franklin is the power potential is enormous so he needs to get every chance.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

So, where does SMB play in 2014? I hope he plays 3B in AA to start the season. I hope the existence of guys like David Vidal and Travis Mattair doesn't keep him out of position or at too low a level like it did in 2013. SMB seems to be a legit prospect. No reason to push him aside for guys who look like filler.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, where does SMB play in 2014? I hope he plays 3B in AA to start the season. I hope the existence of guys like David Vidal and Travis Mattair doesn't keep him out of position or at too low a level like it did in 2013. SMB seems to be a legit prospect. No reason to push him aside for guys who look like filler.
    Absolutely. Time to prioritize SMB's development.

Turn Off Ads?