Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seth Mejias-Brean

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Seth Mejias-Brean

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yeah, I've about given up on Rahier. Unless he breaks out in 2014 he's another pick that fizzled. It happens to the best of them. Gelalich has been another disappointment. Franklin may come around yet - I don't know if he'll ever be selective enough, though. Thing about Franklin is the power potential is enormous so he needs to get every chance.
    Rahier was a 19 year old in A ball last year. I give him a pass. The Reds love his glove and power potential, which is why he was prioritized over SMB in 2013. I think Rahier should repeat A ball next year and get most of the PAs at 3B in 2014. Way too early to write him off.

2. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (12-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, where does SMB play in 2014? I hope he plays 3B in AA to start the season. I hope the existence of guys like David Vidal and Travis Mattair doesn't keep him out of position or at too low a level like it did in 2013. SMB seems to be a legit prospect. No reason to push him aside for guys who look like filler.
    I would not be too upset if the Reds started SMB in Bakersfield next year. Remember, he only got 13 PAs in the California League last year. I also would not be upset if SMB was started in Pensacola next year.

I actually am leaning towards wanting the Reds to start SMB in Bakersfield next year, because I do not want the Reds to rush SMB and ruin his confidence, which could have been the case with Vidal. I think a half year of the California league makes sense for SMB.

Letting SMB have a half year in Bakersfield also gives Vidal one more chance to get it together. If SMB is lighting up the California league after 300 PAs, I would still not hold him back if Vidal is showing life, but 300 PAs in Pensacola could be enough to get Vidal's career back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Rahier was a 19 year old in A ball last year. I give him a pass. The Reds love his glove and power potential, which is why he was prioritized over SMB in 2013. I think Rahier should repeat A ball next year and get most of the PAs at 3B in 2014. Way too early to write him off.
    Not giving up on Rahier at all, just not counting him among the Reds top prospects. He's got a lot to show. IMO, SMB is the only third baseman even halfway on the radar. I'd love to see them add a prospect this offseason.

Two of the Phils top young guys are third sackers (Cody Asche & Maikel Franco). I'd love to see the Reds swing a deal for on of them or Miguel Sano. I know that it won't happen though so I'd like to see one of the top five or so picks on high-ceiling 3B (along with a couple of big arms and a couple of offensively projectable MI's).

The cycle of choosing a steady stream of OF's with a 4th-outfielder ceiling may have ended last year. Now if they can just turn of the flow of top 10 ten picks used on MI's with little-to-no offensive future.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-23-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Not giving up on Rahier at all, just not counting him among the Reds top prospects. He's got a lot to show. IMO, SMB is the only third baseman even halfway on the radar. I'd love to see them add a prospect this offseason.

Two of the Phils top young guys are third sackers (Cody Asche & Maikel Franco). I'd love to see the Reds swing a deal for on of them or Miguel Sano. I know that it won't happen though so I'd like to see one of the top five or so picks on high-ceiling 3B (along with a couple of big arms and a couple of offensively projectable MI's).

The cycle of choosing a steady stream of OF's with a 4th-outfielder ceiling may have ended last year. Now if they can just turn of the flow of top 10 ten picks used on MI's with little-to-no offensive future.
    It doesn't make sense to me to have the Reds trade a major piece (which a top-tier 3B prospect would require) to get a guy who is blocked by a solid, young 3B at the major league level. All of the guys you mention have a chance to better players than Frazier, but it is far from a lock of that being the case.

I also think the Reds should look to win now before Homer is gone and a lot of other good young players are a year closer to FA. If the Reds are going to move a major piece, I want it to benefit the 2014 Reds and not a future version.

Just notice that SMB is the oldest in the Top 10 of the RZ prospect list at 23 and below AA. Not saying its anything bad or comparing him to Methuselah or anything, but do you think we might see them move him aggressively the next couple of years?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Just notice that SMB is the oldest in the Top 10 of the RZ prospect list at 23 and below AA. Not saying its anything bad or comparing him to Methuselah or anything, but do you think we might see them move him aggressively the next couple of years?
    I think he needs to be solidly settled at AA at least by years end. Not just there but doing well there.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?