Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

There is something much larger at work here, at least in regards to the Bengals...

The browns, the chiefs, the bills, etc... never had a "lost decade" OK, so the browns are getting there. The Bengals were not only the worst franchise in football for most of the 90s thru early 2000s, they were one of the worst run franchise in all of sports. It was a competition b/w them and the Clippers over who was run worse during that time period. The Bengals lost an entire generation of young kids growing up during that time period, fans that would currently be the core group of season ticket holders.

When Marvin came to town, the drafting got better, the on field results started to get better, but then they regressed hard a few years back, and there was never any success in the playoffs, never any lasting feeling that they were better than the Ravens or Steelers for the foreseeable future and worthy of investing in a pair of season tickets. Just when the Bengals started to win back a new generation of fans while re-capturing some of the old ones, the success was ripped away, not to mention the poor publicity of having guys run afoul of the law, Palmer's public trade deamands, the general jack-assedness of TO & Ocho, etc...

They started to get them back last season, but they're very much in a fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me mode. There was some excitement at the start of the season that was quickly sapped by the destruction of the Ravens on opening night, and later the losses to the Dolphins & Browns. If they want to win the fans back, they'll need more than a 2 game winning streak.

In Kansas City, you have generations of fans who grew up going to KC games, because that is what you did on Sundays. You tailgatted w/ the same family's/friends, and your kids carried on the tradition. The Bengals lost that during the 90s. The cost of the NFL is so expensive, that if your relying on single game ticket sales, you're going to struggle. this team may well be in the playoff hunt, but its almost by default of being .500 vs a significant # of wins vs top competition. Other than the win over the giants, they've got a win at home vs a poor Browns team w/o their top corner, a win over a rookie QB in Washington, a win at a bad jacksonville team and a win at a bad KC team.

I want to believe, I want to hope, but they've gone little to prove to me that they're poised for a repeat trip to the playoffs. And that is why they're not selling out vs Oakland.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I don't think there's any question that Cincinnati is a bad sports town.

People will blame Mike Brown, Bob Huggins' firing, conference realignment, and all sorts of random things for not attending games. At this point they're more excuses than they are valid reasons.

I don't attend a ton of games so I'm not about to blame people for not going, can't tell people how to spend their money. I go to a few Reds games and maybe 1 Bengals game each year. Collectively the city just doesn't rally around its teams anymore. Heck there's more Bengals talk when the team sucks than there is when we win. People always wanna say I told you so, or talk about Mike Brown being the worst person alive...not many people want to talk about a business like win.

I have no idea what it is. Like Dougdirt said, at least there are online streams to get lol.
    Don't forget:

- It's a school night
    - It's too hot
    - It's too cold
    - Traffic
    - There's nowhere to park
    - The game's on TV
    - It's too expensive
    - Beer is cheaper at home
    - Drunk fans

It's all just chiche anymore. These things don't deter people in other cities from attending games.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    And that's the problem. Because people in other cities do drive in for 5-5 teams. In Cleveland, they'll drive for a 1-8 team.
    Do they drive in for 5-5 teams with the history of the Bengals?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Don't forget:

- It's a school night
    - It's too hot
    - It's too cold
    - Traffic
    - The game's on TV
    - It's too expensive
    - Drunk fans

It's all just chiche anymore. These things don't deter people in other cities from attending games.
    Dare I say that Cincinnati sports fans are just smarter? LOL

I still think it has a lot to do with the city just being beaten down by the poor teams and the bad luck sports Gods over the last 20 years. It has been either really bad teams, or just good enough to have something go horrifically bad and rip your heart out. There are only so many times you can have it happen before you stop spending $100 to go watch it in person.

Bashing people for not supporting the worst owner in the NFL is pretty damn ballsy.

Has Mike Brown earned unquestioned support? NOPE.

Bengals fans have finally wised up a bit and won't come running back to Mikey at the first hint of success. BRAVO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Bashing people for not supporting the worst owner in the NFL is pretty damn ballsy.

Bengals fans have finally wised up a bit and won't come running back to Mikey at the first hint of success. BRAVO!!!
    I wasn't bashing anyone for not going to games, just making a general statement on Cincinnati being a bad sports town. The Mike Brown theory would make a lot more sense if Cincinnati fans were supporting the other local teams. Since we're not I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I wasn't bashing anyone for not going to games, just making a general statement on Cincinnati being a bad sports town. The Mike Brown theory would make a lot more sense if Cincinnati fans were supporting the other local teams. Since we're not I don't buy it.
    After living in a couple of different cities the past ten years, I'd say that fans everywhere are pretty much the same. I hear these same attendance complaints every place I go. If Cincinnati is a "bad sports town", what would you call a "good sports town"?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Again: This has nothing to do with the Bengals or Mike Brown. And to prove that, I present to you the pitiful attendance for the Reds and Bearcats.

If the Reds were raking in the fans and the Bearcats were selling out games all while the Bengals were struggling, I'd buy your argument. But since all teams are equally as inept at attracting fans, regardless of records, playoffs or individual season success, I'm not buying it.

This is a bad sports town. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    After living in a couple of different cities the past ten years, I'd say that fans everywhere are pretty much the same. I hear these same attendance complaints every place I go. If Cincinnati is a "bad sports town", what would you call a "good sports town"?
    That's easy. Here are a few, outside of the obvious like NYC, Boston, etc.:

Denver
    Seattle
    Washington, D.C.
    Detroit
    Minneapolis

Just look at Denver, a market barely larger than Cincinnati with absolutely zero in the way of surrounding population (so it's a wash), and they averaged 32,475 this past season for the woefully pathetic joke known as the Colorado Rockies, which was FAR, FAR BETTER than the Reds, who finished with the second best record in baseball.

And they sell out every Broncos game and rake in the fans for the Nuggets and Avs too.

And again, before anyone starts crying that Denver is a lot larger than Cincinnati (it's not), here are the latest MSA rankings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 11-24-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Has Mike Brown earned any support whatsoever? NOPE.
    fyp

Some of these points hold water but others don't. Again, franchises like the Chiefs, Bills and Browns have worse - WORSE - playoff records the past two decades but don't have any problems selling out. And those markets are similar to Cincinnati or smaller.
    Tickets sold/stadium capacity:

Buffalo -- 95.1%
    Cincinnati -- 94.0
    Cleveland -- 91.8
    KC -- 90.7

Just for fun, let's look at some "great" sports/pro football towns:
    NY Giants -- 97.3
    Pittsburgh -- 96.2
    NY Jets -- 95.9
    St. Louis -- 86.9
    DC -- 85.7
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

That's easy. Here are a few, outside of the obvious like NYC, Boston, etc.:

Denver
    Seattle
    Washington, D.C.
    Detroit
    Minneapolis

Just look at Denver, a market barely larger than Cincinnati with absolutely zero in the way of surrounding population (so it's a wash), and they averaged 32,475 this past season for the woefully pathetic joke known as the Colorado Rockies, which was FAR, FAR BETTER than the Reds, who finished with the second best record in baseball.

And they sell out every Broncos game and rake in the fans for the Nuggets and Avs too.

And again, before anyone starts crying that Denver is a lot larger than Cincinnati (it's not), here are the latest MSA rankings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas
    I still think if you lived in those cities, you'd have a different perspective. Fans are the same everywhere. Also, I don't think attendance is the only measure to evaluate a sports town. Weren't the Reds at the top of MLB in TV ratings? I think it's impressive that Bengals fans have continued to support the franchise the way they do. It's hard to compare that to Denver, which has been to six Super Bowls and won two of them.

Also, you fail to mention Xavier basketball, which routinely fills the Cintas Center.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

There is irony in complaining about a local TV blackout because the game isn't sold out. If you're local and you see the worth of seeing the team and want to see the game, then you can buy a ticket. Problem solved. And if you have a ticket, then the local TV blackout doesn't affect you.

And when they do sell out after not selling out, then the people who are complaining now about no sellouts will be complaining then about not being able to get a ticket because of all the fair weather fans gobbling up the tickets.

"Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Don't forget:

- It's a school night
    - It's too hot
    - It's too cold
    - Traffic
    - The game's on TV
    - It's too expensive
    - Drunk fans

Oh, you have got to be kidding me. What an absolute joke series of posts.

PBS had a pretty good several year sellout streak going. And the stuff about the Bengals being the worst team in sports? Yeah that's not an excuse. This isn't a bad sports town, not by any means. If it were the Reds wouldn't have MLB's best TV and radio ratings. The city is just sick of losers. When the Bengals actually win a playoff game and stop getting their asses absolutely kicked every time the Steelers and Ravens are in town, if the blackouts are still happening, then you can talk.

BTW, maybe the NLDS tickets were so cheap because the team was about to pull off one of the most prolific choke jobs in about 20 years? One that star players started to lay on the feet of the fans? Despite that, if you were there like I was, you would know the stadium and banks were packed and buzzing. If you want to talk about a team that couldn't fill their stadium during the playoffs, see the Yankees during this year's ALCS.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Sanu is coming along nicely. What a catch!
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?