Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    On one hand, I don't think the Bengals can go far with Marvin. On the other hand, I think it's impossible with Mike Brown around. I believe Marvin should go at some point--the Bengals don't exactly have a winning culture in the clubhouse--but I don't think it needs to happen right now.
    I would offer Marvin the GM job but remove his head coaching duties. If he refuses, he's gone. I'd give first look for HC duties to Gruden or Zimmer for continuity purposes, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring in candidates from the outside.

Marvin has shown year in and year out an inability to make coaching adjustments and win a big game against a team with a smart coach. He is certainly better than some of the chaff we've had in the past, but he cannot take the team to the next level- he's maxed out at 11 wins and a first round playoff exit.

The Bengals will never get to the Super Bowl so long as Marvin is the coach. Unfortunately, they can't make a change at owner.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Has Mike Brown ever let a coach go mid-contract?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Has Mike Brown ever let a coach go mid-contract?
    I can't iterate this enough. Mike Brown is the problem.
    On December 24, 1991, just three years after the Bengals' Super Bowl appearance, Wyche was fired by owner Mike Brown, who had taken over the team upon the death of his father, club founder Paul Brown, four months earlier. Controversy erupted when the Bengals claimed Wyche had resigned, relieving the team of any future payments, but Wyche stated he was fired.
    Every coach since then has left voluntarily. Shula and Coslet retired. Dick LeBeau was technically fired after going 2-14.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I can't iterate this enough. Mike Brown is the problem.

Every coach since then has left voluntarily. Shula and Coslet retired. Dick LeBeau was technically fired after going 2-14.
    Not so - Dave Shula was indeed fired midseason. I distinctly remember it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/22/sp...-is-fired.html

Bruce Coslet, as I recall, resigned to save some type of face after that disastrous game in Baltimore.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?i...1#.UJOlT2dU3To

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Not so - Dave Shula was indeed fired midseason. I distinctly remember it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/22/sp...-is-fired.html

Bruce Coslet, as I recall, resigned to save some type of face after that disastrous game in Baltimore.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?i...1#.UJOlT2dU3To
    In that case, I trust your source more than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    After a 1-6 start to the 1996 season, Shula announced his resignation and Coslet was promoted to the head coaching position. Although the Bengals once again failed to make the playoffs, Coslet led the team to a 7-2 finish and the offensive unit was back in the NFL's top 10. Pickens and Scott again proved to be an effective 1-2 combination, as Pickens caught 100 passes and topped 1,000 yards for the third straight year while Scott added 58 catches for 833 yards. Blake threw for 3,624 yards, but it was not good enough to make the Pro Bowl; Pickens was the offense's only representative.

Shula was who I couldn't remember.

It's really amazing that Brown went from Sam Wyche to a 32 year old whose coaching highlight to that date was getting demoted from his offensive coordinator position with the Cowboys within two years.

But in fairness, you could put Belichick or one of the Harbaugh's in Cincinnati and I don't think it would matter much with Brown as the owner.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

What's more amazing, IIRC, is that Shula started out 2-0 as Bengals coach and the Bengals led at Lambeau Field before Don Majkowski went out and was replaced by a kid named Brett Favre, who led the Packers to a victory.

Shula's Bengals fell apart after that

It's really amazing that Brown went from Sam Wyche to a 32 year old whose coaching highlight to that date was getting demoted from his offensive coordinator position with the Cowboys within two years.

But in fairness, you could put Belichick or one of the Harbaugh's in Cincinnati and I don't think it would matter much with Brown as the owner.
    Mike Brown loved the fact that if he hired Shula, he wouldn't need to fire any of the assistant coaches who were already under contract. Also, he was looking for an anti-Wyche, someone easy to control.

Also, in fairness, Sam Wyche's main qualification as a 39 year old had been passing game coordinator with San Francisco for four years and went 3-8 as the head coach at Indiana for his only coaching experience.

Both Paul and Mike Brown liked to hire guys they could control, but only saw any success when they hired guys who had the stones to stand up to them. Those who stood up to them were generally rewarded for their candor by being fired.

Paul's coaches after himself;
    Tiger Johnson- First Head coaching job, No jobs higher than an OL coach
    Homer Rice- Head coach at UC(8-10-1) and Rice(4-18)
    Forrest Gregg - Head coach of Cleveland Browns(18-23) and Toronto Argonauts(9-23), NFL head coach at Green Bay after leaving Cincinnati.
    Sam Wyche- Head coach at Indiana ( 3-8) coached Tampa Bay after leaving Cincinnati.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Defense is playing pretty good. Offense needs to do something to help them out.

Pthe route is on.

Or hopefully I was wrong

Newman with 2 picks?!?!?!

The seat could start to feel a little warm for some coaches very shortly. Oh wait, not with Mike Brown in charge.

A lot of improvements today. We were playing a really good team.

A lot of legit and questionable penalties did them in, but overall I thought the team actually played a good game. Losing today won't be the killer, losing to the Browns and Miami are what hurt.

Turn Off Ads?