Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

I mean, as I said before, this isn't that bad a loss, although it got a little out of control. Almost every, if not every, team in the NFL would lose to the Ravens on the road.

Also, the Bengals have been more consistently competitive than the Reds since Marvin Lewis was the coach. So it's pretty easy to mock Mike "Failure" Brown, as I often do, but it's never been that clear to me that Castellini is that much better. It's just that Brown doesn't care about winning more than he cares about money and doing things his way, and Castellini does care about winning but doesn't know how to do it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I respect your unwavering support of them. But I'm with Joseph here. The common denominator between the Dave Shula era and this era is Mike Brown. That hasn't changed. And it's why we'll never get over the hump.
    My support's not unwavering but I simply can't understand how you can look at the current team and say, "yeah, it pretty much looks like this"

This team may not get over the "hump" depending on what you define the hump as, but to be fair, the Bengals are pretty much in a group with 10-15 teams.

Mike Brown was a lousy cheap skate owner when he took over for his father, who if truth be told had turned into a lousy cheapskate owner. But he's been pretty much like every other owner in the last 10 years which shows if nothing else progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    My support's not unwavering but I simply can't understand how you can look at the current team and say, "yeah, it pretty much looks like this"

This team may not get over the "hump" depending on what you define the hump as, but to be fair, the Bengals are pretty much in a group with 10-15 teams.

Mike Brown was a lousy cheap skate owner when he took over for his father, who if truth be told had turned into a lousy cheapskate owner. But he's been pretty much like every other owner in the last 10 years which shows if nothing else progress.
    Really? We practice outside. And we still have like seven scouts. He's definitely not like every other owner in the NFL, with all due respect.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Why some of you continue to compare the new Bengals to the 90s version is beyond me. There has been at least 8-10 other teams within the last 10 years that have had it worse. It wasn't too long ago that the Lions were 0-16. From 2008-2010, they had won a total of 8 games. Now they're legitimate Super Bowl contenders.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

The Ravens are better than we are. Mike Brown doesn't coach these guys or cover TEs on 3rd down. Honestly I think he's done a solid job at assembling a team with a lot of talent, we aren't exactly a sexy big name FA destination. A lot of teams would have been beat down by that Ravens' performance tonight.

I didn't expect a Superbowl this year. I'll wait and see how we look against the rest of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    The Ravens are better than we are. Mike Brown doesn't coach these guys or cover TEs on 3rd down.
    But he does hire all the guys who do, and has repeatedly insisted that he will continue to do so, regardless of past results.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    But he does hire all the guys who do, and has repeatedly insisted that he will continue to do so, regardless of past results.
    Just my opinion, but here's how I see it.

Marvin is average
    Zimmer is a head coach in the making, very good.
    Gruden is a head coach in the making, very good.

The coaching is pretty solid IMO. We lack talent and depth at certain positions, but we knew that a month ago. If the Ravens play like they did tonight they're gonna beat everyone minus maybe the 9ers.

At some point we need to get better players, and to get better players we usually have to draft them. How many big name FAs have Cincinnati listed?

I think we'll be fine. That performance from the Ravens tonight was special.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Why some of you continue to compare the new Bengals to the 90s version is beyond me.
    Because the same person is running the Bengals now who was running them then? I'm confused as to why someone wouldn't compare them.

Perhaps because this team is peanuts to the horrors witnessed in the 90s.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I really thought the Bengals were going to win this game tonight, I even picked it in my pick 'em league. I was clearly wrong.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Key players were missing from the defense tonight. The offense was serviceable and should be better when not playing from such a large deficit.

A lot of overreaction here IMO. They are likely just as good as they were last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'm digging BJGE.
    Didn't get to watch the game due to work, but it sounds like he was one of the few bright spots.

Will be really impressed if Zimmer makes this a decent defense again this year. They looked worse than they ever have under him.

It's just one game though. The disappointing thing is that they clearly aren't a Super Bowl contending team, but that doesn't mean it can't still be an enjoyable season.

The Browns game will be telling, if the defense can't get stops against Weeden then they are looking at 3-13.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Yeah LawFirm looked a bit more explosive than I remember him in NE. Bengals need a 2nd receiver really bad. Loved Hawkins last night but he is not a true 2nd receiver. Time to cut bait on Mays and go with Myles. Hated the decision to not go for it on 4th and 1 from the 1 yd line. Zimmer better get his guys on track.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Burress and Gaffney are still out there. I think the Bengals are content with what they have, though.

Turn Off Ads?