Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2012-2013 Bengals Discussion

85 is a FA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Will be really impressed if Zimmer makes this a decent defense again this year. They looked worse than they ever have under him.
    Step 1: Realize that it isn't 1993 and you can't play safeties who can't cover.

Yeah, I almost think there must be guys on the street better than Taylor Mays and Miles.

I couldn't believe in the offseason this was really their safety strategy, and I still can't really believe it.

I don't see WR being a significant problem. The offense wasn't good either, but nowhere near as bad as the defense.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Key players were missing from the defense tonight. The offense was serviceable and should be better when not playing from such a large deficit.

A lot of overreaction here IMO. They are likely just as good as they were last year.
    That's the problem I think. They weren't very good last year. They went 0-8 against contending teams, and all nine of their wins were against bad teams, and a lot of those games they barely won. This year, the schedule is a lot tougher. So if they're just as good as they were last year, they're probably staring at 6-10, best-case scenario.

Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to the Bengals . Hope I'm wrong.

The Jets in 1985 lost in LA vs the Raiders about 38-0 ....and went 11-4 the rest of the way.

The 1981 Jets.... lost their first 2 games by a combined I think 3-60 something and lost only 2 more games the rest of the year.

1989 Steelers lost 51-0 vs CLE and 41-10 at Cincy....went to the playoffs.

Not going to worry about the first game...the next 5 games are winnable ...so I will see how bad/good they really are then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The Jets in 1985 lost in LA vs the Raiders about 38-0 ....and went 11-4 the rest of the way.

The 1981 Jets.... lost their first 2 games by a combined I think 3-60 something and lost only 2 more games the rest of the year.

1989 Steelers lost 51-0 vs CLE and 41-10 at Cincy....went to the playoffs.

Not going to worry about the first game...the next 5 games are winnable ...so I will see how bad/good they really are then.
    I understand what you're saying, but what's the point of making the playoffs if you're just going to get blown out?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but what's the point of making the playoffs if you're just going to get blown out?
    Why are they destined to be blown out in the playoffs? I think there's a fair amount of evidence to support the Bengals getting better as the season goes on and a number of teams coming back to the pack.

I don't think Monday night proved anything other than the Bengals played okay for about a half but couldn't do anything defensively, and the game got out of control because of two key turnovers. Unfortunately, they won't really be able to prove if this is the true level of the team or an outlier for about 6 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    That's the problem I think. They weren't very good last year. They went 0-8 against contending teams, and all nine of their wins were against bad teams, and a lot of those games they barely won. This year, the schedule is a lot tougher. So if they're just as good as they were last year, they're probably staring at 6-10, best-case scenario.

Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to the Bengals . Hope I'm wrong.
    If they barely beat the "bad" teams do they get to count the games they "almost won" against the teams in the playoffs?

To be perfectly honest, the team would have been just about as good had it beaten SF and lost to SEA or if it had beaten HOU and lost to CLE.

This year's team may or may not make the playoffs, but it's overly alarmist to believe that there are no teams with huge flaws exposed in week 1 who will make the playoffs.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Why are they destined to be blown out in the playoffs? I think there's a fair amount of evidence to support the Bengals getting better as the season goes on and a number of teams coming back to the pack.

I don't think Monday night proved anything other than the Bengals played okay for about a half but couldn't do anything defensively, and the game got out of control because of two key turnovers. Unfortunately, they won't really be able to prove if this is the true level of the team or an outlier for about 6 weeks.
    I don't take a whole lot away from the game. The offense was acceptable just got way behind the 8 ball early. The coverage was abysmal and I would have to think it gets better with Hall getting more PT as well as Kirkpatrick coming back at some point.

The S and LB corp will be an issue going forward. But I also wonder if the Ravens new no huddle was difficult to scheme against because there was no tape.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't take a whole lot away from the game. The offense was acceptable just got way behind the 8 ball early. The coverage was abysmal and I would have to think it gets better with Hall getting more PT as well as Kirkpatrick coming back at some point.

The S and LB corp will be an issue going forward. But I also wonder if the Ravens new no huddle was difficult to scheme against because there was no tape.
    All true. Though I thought I heard Lap say Kirkpatrick will be inactive for much of the year.

Also it's worth noting that going into the game the goal was to keep Rice from killing them. To that end, they did okay. I wouldn't say they contained him by any stretch, but he didn't singlehandedly beat them.

Unfortunately, having to committ that many resources to slow Rice down meant that Flacco had his pick of matchups to exploit.

All offseason, the local Baltimore media (and fans) have been piping up Flacco, saying this is his year to "breakout." I pretty much dismissed it (even his good performance against the Pats and their historically bad defense in the playoff game). But I might have to eat crow. If Flacco puts himself into the top tier of QBs in the league, I don't see how the Ravens don't win the Super Bowl.

The injury hits keep coming LB Thomas Howard done for the season with a torn ACL. Ugggh! Muckleroy on his way back to the Bengals.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The injury hits keep coming LB Thomas Howard done for the season with a torn ACL. Ugggh! Muckleroy on his way back to the Bengals.
    Shaping up to be an ugly season.

Saying Burfict will be starter now. Should be interesting.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Interesting, I knew the Bengals were high on him but I thought they would go Skuta. On a positive note Burfict did look good in coverage this preseason. I love Howard but I am excited to see how well this kid can perform. If he sucks at least he and Mays can have a personal foul party.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?