Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Browns to be sold; Holmgren fired?

Browns to be sold; Holmgren fired?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._approved.html

What will happen to Holmgren if Banner wants to take over? Holmgren, in the third year of his five-year deal, might have the same clause in his contract that Bill Parcells did when he was with the Dolphins: that he would receive the balance of his contract in the event the team is sold.

That means Holmgren, who said Friday "we'll see'' when asked about his future, could stand to make the estimated $8 million a year he's due if even if he's gone. Holmgren was in close contact with Parcells when deciding whether or not to take the Browns job, and likely secured a similar deal.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Browns to be sold; Holmgren fired?

Holmgren is a good coach not a good GM, Browns may be better served without him. However 8 million per yr is a lot of cake to eat.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

What's not mentioned is the irony involved. The guy buying the Browns, Jimmy Haslam III, is a self quoted 1000% Steeler fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    What's not mentioned is the irony involved. The guy buying the Browns, Jimmy Haslam III, is a self quoted 1000% Steeler fan.
    Context.

He grew up a Cowboy/Colts fan I believe.

The 1000 percent line came in an interview right after he invested in the Steelers.

I totally cut him some slack on this one.

I'm sure Browns fans will be happy as long as they have an owner who seems like he cares about the team. The big criticism of Randy Lerner is that he seemed to spend more time in England fussing over Aston Villa (which he also owns) than he did with the Browns. A friend of mine always said Randy prefers to hang with the international jet setters that invest in EPL teams rather than the boring old farts who run the NFL.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Isn't that why he hired Holmgren - to let him (Holmgren) run the show while Lerner did not have to bother with it too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm sure Browns fans will be happy as long as they have an owner who seems like he cares about the team. The big criticism of Randy Lerner is that he seemed to spend more time in England fussing over Aston Villa (which he also owns) than he did with the Browns. A friend of mine always said Randy prefers to hang with the international jet setters that invest in EPL teams rather than the boring old farts who run the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Isn't that why he hired Holmgren - to let him (Holmgren) run the show while Lerner did not have to bother with it too much?
    The problem is that Lerner hired Holmgren on his name without looking at his resume when running a front office. As good a coach as he's been, he's been bad to mediocre when running a team. If Lerner cared more, he would have properly vetted his front office candidates.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Haslam busted for fraud by the FBI and IRS.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more...&post_id=16501
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Will they move to L.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Will they move to L.A.?
    Take em, move the Bengals to COlumbus and call them the Bengowns

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

12. Likes:

jimbo (04-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Take em, move the Bengals to COlumbus and call them the Bengowns
    I Think I Prefer The Browngals.

14. Likes:

Joseph (04-20-2013)

Despite being a Bengal's fan, history over the last 3 decades would suggest that a naming merger for a team placed in columbus should be the Aint's.

Seriously though, it can't be much fun being a Browns fan lately, seems like every time there is a glimmer of hope for that franchise, someone pours salt in their wounds and they have to start back over from scratch.

Turn Off Ads?