Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: phillies scout in attendance....

Re: phillies scout in attendance....

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    If they acquire Victorino or Span, what do they do with Stubbs if he doesn't go in that or a separate deal?
    Platoon, use for depth, defense, and speed off the bench, etc.
    Last edited by smixsell; 07-29-2012 at 03:38 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe Stubbs has options left. He also makes like 500K or something very small, assuming he does have options left he's not exactly a salary dump so there's no reason to move him for the sake of moving him. Only if he is a guy that another team wants over Heisey.

I'd bet on him being a backup if an upgrade is brought in.
    A Victorino/Stubbs platoon in CF?

I'd be happy with a Joseph/Lotzkar trade for SV.
    Last edited by malcontent; 07-29-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Platoon, use for depth, defense, and speed of the bench, etc.
    Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I don't want any trades. I like this team the way it is. Don't mess the chemistry up
    Seriously?... I see some sorta move, if this team really wants to compete.........look, yes we are playing well, but we barely beat the AA-stros, and still have trouble, driving in quality runs. Even a trade, that adds quality to the bench, is better than no trade at all................And I am all in favor of quality.

We may not see the Victorino of 2011:

.279 .355 .491 .847

But he's still only 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Seriously?... I see some sorta move, if this team really wants to compete.........look, yes we are playing well, but we barely beat the AA-stros, and still have trouble, driving in quality runs. Even a trade, that adds quality to the bench, is better than no trade at all................And I am all in favor of quality.
    We're tied for the best record in baseball, we're competing just fine. I think the fear of making a move right now is messing with team chemistry that's really working well.

But adding a quality bench bat wouldn't mess with anything so yeah I'm on board with that. Something big...eh I really don't want it.

S Victorino/Stubbs (standard issue <non-Baker> platoon)
    R Philllps
    L Votto
    R Ludwick
    L Bruce
    R Frazier
    R Cozart
    R Hanigan/Mesoraco

All I can say is Jocketty better not sell the farm for Pence...like he did for Latos.

Dude's over-paid and overrated, IMO.

Victorino is a far better match, and he won't cost the farm.
    Last edited by malcontent; 07-29-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Do not want Victorino hes having a terrible year. Rather would have Span or Fowler from the Rocks

Pence is massive offensive upgrade over Stubbs. I&rsquo;d rather have him than Victorino.

Yes, the Reds are on fire right now. We've won a ton of games against god awful teams, and is entirely thanks to the pitching staff. If we pull away from the Pirates (which isn't guaranteed) then we are going to end up facing the best pitching staffs in baseball. Right now our lineup isn't as good as it could be and we have the chance to improve it. Other teams are trying to improve their lineups as well. We just swept the worst team in baseball and tomorrow have the chance to sweep the second worst , which is great, but our performance against or scrub schedule is not an accurate barometer of where we really are...right now we are just padding our record.

I'm not entirely confident that this club can go seven games against the Nats, Dodgers or Giants right now. We need hitting. We need it bad. This is a team that has the pitching strength to win a World Series...but I don't want to count on just that. Stubbs i
    s a weak spot. Despite nearly breaking the record for strikeouts l last season, some if you can't seem to understand it. You can't put him at the top of the order in the playoffs if you can avoid it. If we could get Victorino, Pence or even Pierre in his place then its a huge improvement. If defense is your concern then go with an OF of Pence, Heisey and Bruce. Heisey is not that far off defensively.

And I'm sorry but its only a matter if time before Ludwick comes back down to Earth. Hopefully when it happens Bruce is heating up.

And for those of you complaining about chemistry, I bet you are hoping Votto isn't back in the lineup when he comes off the DL then, right? Wouldn't want to put a better player in the lineup and mess with the chemistry would we?
    Last edited by joshua; 07-29-2012 at 04:28 AM.

I'm not sold on Pence. His career stats are very inconsistent. Outside of 2011, he is really just a slightly above average bat. If we are going to go big on a trade For a non-CF type, I would rather get a guy like Choo.
    Last edited by Pony Boy; 07-29-2012 at 09:41 AM.

if we didn't have ludwick pence would be nice but we do. its upgrade cf or no where imo.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    if we didn't have ludwick pence would be nice but we do. its upgrade cf or no where imo.
    yep, no need for a corner fielder now

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    A Victorino/Stubbs platoon in CF?

I'd be happy with a Joseph/Lotzkar trade for SV.
    I wouldn't.

Victorino's stats vs RHP this year are very pedestrian .234/.293 - not a lot better than Stubbs' .206/.283.

Not a good target for platooning IMHO.

Turn Off Ads?