Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cueto the favorite to win the Cy Young award?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cueto the favorite to win the Cy Young award?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cueto the favorite to win the Cy Young award?

I am not sure if he is the favorite or not, but he is certainly up there. He has the traditional numbers, leading the league in wins, is 5th in ERA despite pitching in our ballpark and is 4th in innings. He is 25th in the league in strikeouts, though I am not sure that will be held against him.

In all seriousness, if Chapman continues at this pace, I would think he should get serious consideration in addition to Cueto.
    Go BLUE!!!

Washington has at least two guys who would probably get more votes than Cueto.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    In all seriousness, if Chapman continues at this pace, I would think he should get serious consideration in addition to Cueto.
    While it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen, it probably shouldn't. Relievers, even elite ones, simply aren't as valuable or as important as elite starters. I wouldn't even rank Chapman as the #1 closer in the NL right now. That would be Craig Kimbrel.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While it wouldn't surprise me if it did happen, it probably shouldn't. Relievers, even elite ones, simply aren't as valuable or as important as elite starters. I wouldn't even rank Chapman as the #1 closer in the NL right now. That would be Craig Kimbrel.
    I agree. As much as I love el Missile, Craig Kimbrel is definitely the best closer in all of baseball right now. If Chapman keeps this pace up all year, he might end up having the better 2012 season. But looking at it right now, Kimbrel has a full 1.5 years under his belt as an elite closer. Chapman is still at about 0.5. He's more-electric than Kimbrel (which is saying a hell of a lot) but I'd have to give the nod to Kimbrel right now.

As for Cueto and the Cy Young award, I just hope the fact he pitches in a bandbox like GABP is taken under consideration. His numbers are impressive for a Petco pitcher, let alone a GABP pitcher. And he's actually better at home than on the road.

He's right there at the top. If Strasburg is pulled, then I think Cueto has an excellent chance, if he keeps his current pace. Dickey will be in the conversation for sure too. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Gio G right there too.

And I do think Chapman should be considered as well if he keeps up his current pace.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think Tony Larussa is in charge of picking the Cy Young winner this year, so you might as well forget Cueto winning it.

Turn Off Ads?