Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What about a starting pitcher?

What about a starting pitcher?

I am starting to think that the player that Walt is really looking for is a starting pitcher. Doc mentioned in his blog that the Reds made an offer for Grienke and have at least talked to the Cubs about Dempster. Other pitchers that may be available are Cliff Lee and Josh Johnson.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Outside of Cueto, who is a real post-season pitcher of the starting 5?

Also, what is wrong with Josh Johnson this season? Is there a reason that his numbers are down?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What about a starting pitcher?

I think you shop anything that's available. Our pitching staff is deep and could be the focus of the other teams' side of a trade. Therefore if you're giving up pitching to get offense, it's a good idea to have some pitchers in mind that we could pick up if a deal goes down and it's necessary. I wouldn't be happy if we gave up offense or minor league talent for just a pitcher though.
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Okay say Reds get a starting pitcher, who gets removed from the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Okay say Reds get a starting pitcher, who gets removed from the rotation?
    I think the idea is to trade for a pitcher good enough to pitch in the post-season. Like Josh Johnson. In which case, you include Leake or Bailey in the deal.

Cliff Lee is having a down year, is 33, and is owed another $95 million through 2015. So he has negative trade value. The Phillies would have to pay a team to take his contract.

i don't think there looking for a starter to take someone place but just incase someone gets hurt. unless there trying to move 1 of ours for a bat

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    i don't think there looking for a starter to take someone place but just incase someone gets hurt. unless there trying to move 1 of ours for a bat
    Then why was Walt sniffing around Grienke and Dempster? I'm pretty sure they would clear a spot in the rotation for those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Then why was Walt sniffing around Grienke and Dempster? I'm pretty sure they would clear a spot in the rotation for those guys.
    I doubt Walt was interested in Dempster, but Greinke is like a nice sports car - you have to kick the tires at least.

Turn Off Ads?