Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs

EMAW

Stubbs

Co NL player of the week

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stubbs

Unfortunately GM's are too intelligent for this to be useful as the trade deadline approaches!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Drew Gehrig

EMAW

Hate him as you do, he plays gold glove caliber defense, is on a pace to hit 20 homers and steal 35 bases

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    Hate him as you do, he plays gold glove caliber defense, is on a pace to hit 20 homers and steal 35 bases
    Maybe not gold glove (advanced peripherals have always hated him), but solid defense in a somewhat premium position in a 20/30 player has value. He may never reach his ceiling with us, but selling him low as many had suggested would have been foolish.

My son's favorite Reds player. He wore his Stubbs t-shirt tonight. Nice oppo HR and very nice catch in the gap. You're so defensive.

Historically his best months are August and September so the best is yet to come!
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Stubbs' defense is highly overrated if you ask me. His fielding percentage will only be high because his arm isn't strong enough to throw past a cut-off man and he will get very few fielding errors because he doesn't dive for anything. If he can't run it down, he's not catching it. Fielding percentages can be deceiving. This is one example. Stubbs should never win a gold glove and I'm willing to bet anyone who played CF would agree.

But thanks for hitting the crap out of the ball for the last week!!

Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post
    Stubbs' defense is highly overrated if you ask me. His fielding percentage will only be high because his arm isn't strong enough to throw past a cut-off man and he will get very few fielding errors because he doesn't dive for anything. If he can't run it down, he's not catching it. Fielding percentages can be deceiving. This is one example. Stubbs should never win a gold glove and I'm willing to bet anyone who played CF would agree.

Go Reds!
    Drew's range allows him to get to most balls without diving, and A LOT of balls that fielders dive for is because they're out of position or they got a bad jump. Most balls that you dive for can be caught running anyway. I'd rather he didn't dive, doesn't get injured and doesn't run the chance of giving up extra bases by missing as happens often enough. His fielding % isn't really deceiving and his arm isn't weak -- it's pretty average. He has gunned down players running home before, but you don't play a CF for their arm anyway.

I don't get why some people will look for literally anything to nitpick about Stubbs. He's incredibly useful as a CFer defensively.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post

Go Reds!
    He's ran down a few balls in the past week that only a handful of players in all of baseball get to. And he has one of the best CF arms in all of baseball, not sure why you'd question his arm strength.

Some people would rather see farney flopping all over the outfield - looks more scrappy!
    Stubbs makes it look effortless because he runs like a gazelle!! He is deceptively lightning fast...

Any arguments to nitpick his defense are pure hogwash.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Drew's range allows him to get to most balls without diving, and A LOT of balls that fielders dive for is because they're out of position or they got a bad jump. Most balls that you dive for can be caught running anyway. I'd rather he didn't dive, doesn't get injured and doesn't run the chance of giving up extra bases by missing as happens often enough. His fielding % isn't really deceiving and his arm isn't weak -- it's pretty average. He has gunned down players running home before, but you don't play a CF for their arm anyway.

I don't get why some people will look for literally anything to nitpick about Stubbs. He's incredibly useful as a CFer defensively.
    You can't fall in love with a player just because they're a Red.

Almost all trade talks have included a center fielder. Clearly I'm not the only one....

He's a very good CF. He has improved on his jump. He's very good in the gaps. On balls right at him, over his head he has trouble (probably hasn't had 5 of these all year) and yes his elite speed allows him to pick a ball without diving like most would have to....but regardless of your speed there are always balls that can only be reached with a headfirst dive and he has never done that in his MLB career. His arm is good for a CF.

IMO he's pretty good overall in CF.....and so is the 4th OFer.

He's pretty awful at the ball in front of him. Because of his inability to dive, he resorts to sliding which actually makes his glove farther from the ball and almost always doesn't catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    He's pretty awful at the ball in front of him. Because of his inability to dive, he resorts to sliding which actually makes his glove farther from the ball and almost always doesn't catch it.
    He gets good jumps at them but he can't do what virtually every OF in baseball history could do.

Turn Off Ads?