Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

plus three strike outs for Cairo. Hopefully, this is the thanks and good-bye moment for the REds regarding Cairo and we get someone better than him to assume his role.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Please do not disguise the over the top postings you made earlier as Your opinion does not jive with mine. They did not sound like just your opinions...they sounded like you were posting about one of the Reds teams from 2002-2006. You sounded like it was a personal insult that the Reds would actually play a bad game after winning 10 in a row
    That's not even worth responding to. I'm through.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Definitely have had chances in three straight innings.
    So have the Pirates had chances - they just hit into an inning ending double play with the bases loaded. 13-4 Cubs.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Cairo is like sending up a 1st base coach up there. I'd feel better with Billy Hatcher.

How is Cairo still on the team?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Career achievement

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Probably because the Reds aren't as short-tempered as fans are.

The guy has been a solid role player the last couple of years. They're going to give him plenty of time before making a rash decision. Assignments for guys of his experience aren't something you do without plenty of consideration.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

That may do it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Probably because the Reds aren't as short-tempered as fans are.

The guy has been a solid role player the last couple of years. They're going to give him plenty of time before making a rash decision. Assignments for guys of his experience aren't something you do without plenty of consideration.
    We're over one hundred games into the season, Brutus. I'm thrilled and appreciative of the two fine years Cairo gave us, along with the leadership he's provided, but I think a sub .400 OPS speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    We're over one hundred games into the season, Brutus. I'm thrilled and appreciative of the two fine years Cairo gave us, along with the leadership he's provided, but I think a sub .400 OPS speaks for itself.
    He's been bad, but he's only had 85 plate appearances. It's not like he's had nearly the same sample as a guy that would have 400 PAs by now.

The point is that he's been a very good player for the Reds the last few years, so given his lack of chances, you have to give him a longer leash time-wise before making a decision to cut him loose. Especially since he's a guy that can refuse assignment and you'd have to let him go permanently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ryan Ludwick have only a .500 OPS after about 85 PAs? The Reds could afford to give Cairo a longer leash before deciding if his struggles are an extended slump or a sign of things to come.

He's been bad, but he's only had 85 plate appearances. It's not like he's had nearly the same sample as a guy that would have 400 PAs by now.

The point is that he's been a very good player for the Reds the last few years, so given his lack of chances, you have to give him a longer leash time-wise before making a decision to cut him loose. Especially since he's a guy that can refuse assignment and you'd have to let him go permanently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ryan Ludwick have only a .500 OPS after about 85 PAs? The Reds could afford to give Cairo a longer leash before deciding if his struggles are an extended slump or a sign of things to come.

Who would he get AB's from though? Not Rolen or Frazier. When Votto comes back.....then he will get even less.

Thom just said that Soto and another Cubs player left the game and hugged everybody, like maybe a trade.

Thing about Cairo is that he really has no role anymore. Frazier and Valdez back up first, second, and third amply. With the emergence of Frazier and the return of Rolen, it's hard to see Miguel's role.

He does, of course, provide a veteran righty pinch hitter, but the Reds are overloaded with righty bats.

So Cairo seems to be superfluous at this point, he isn't hitting.

I still think the Reds will be reluctant to let him go, but it does make sense.

Nice catch, Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thom just said that Soto and another Cubs player left the game and hugged everybody, like maybe a trade.

Thing about Cairo is that he really has no role anymore. Frazier and Valdez back up first, second, and third amply. With the emergence of Frazier and the return of Rolen, it's hard to see Miguel's role.

He does, of course, provide a veteran righty pinch hitter, but the Reds are overloaded with righty bats.

So Cairo seems to be superfluous at this point, he isn't hitting.

I still think the Reds will be reluctant to let him go, but it does make sense.

Nice catch, Stubbs.
    Reed Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Who would he get AB's from though? Not Rolen or Frazier. When Votto comes back.....then he will get even less.
    That's true, but that would be true with probably anyone playing his role, yes?

I'm not saying the Reds should stay indebted to Cairo, nor should they give him a free pass the entire season. But he hasn't even cracked 100 plate appearances, so that has to be considered before deciding whether there are better, available options to replace him with. If the Reds can find an upgrade, by all means they should do it. But the others they've tried, Mike Constanzo comes to mind, certainly were not it.

Don't know if you guys checked the trade thread, but Morosi says the Reds are interested in Overbay. Gotta believe that would be the end of Miggy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?