Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 378

Thread: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

  1. #331
    Member wally post's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    plus three strike outs for Cairo. Hopefully, this is the thanks and good-bye moment for the REds regarding Cairo and we get someone better than him to assume his role.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #332
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,074

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Please do not disguise the over the top postings you made earlier as Your opinion does not jive with mine. They did not sound like just your opinions...they sounded like you were posting about one of the Reds teams from 2002-2006. You sounded like it was a personal insult that the Reds would actually play a bad game after winning 10 in a row
    That's not even worth responding to. I'm through.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  4. #333
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,277

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Definitely have had chances in three straight innings.
    So have the Pirates had chances - they just hit into an inning ending double play with the bases loaded. 13-4 Cubs.

  5. #334
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,251

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Cairo is like sending up a 1st base coach up there. I'd feel better with Billy Hatcher.

  6. #335
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,317

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    How is Cairo still on the team?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  7. #336
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,735

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    How is Cairo still on the team?
    Career achievement
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  8. #337
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,505

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    How is Cairo still on the team?
    Probably because the Reds aren't as short-tempered as fans are.

    The guy has been a solid role player the last couple of years. They're going to give him plenty of time before making a rash decision. Assignments for guys of his experience aren't something you do without plenty of consideration.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  9. #338
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,505

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    That may do it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  10. #339
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Probably because the Reds aren't as short-tempered as fans are.

    The guy has been a solid role player the last couple of years. They're going to give him plenty of time before making a rash decision. Assignments for guys of his experience aren't something you do without plenty of consideration.
    We're over one hundred games into the season, Brutus. I'm thrilled and appreciative of the two fine years Cairo gave us, along with the leadership he's provided, but I think a sub .400 OPS speaks for itself.

  11. #340
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,505

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    We're over one hundred games into the season, Brutus. I'm thrilled and appreciative of the two fine years Cairo gave us, along with the leadership he's provided, but I think a sub .400 OPS speaks for itself.
    He's been bad, but he's only had 85 plate appearances. It's not like he's had nearly the same sample as a guy that would have 400 PAs by now.

    The point is that he's been a very good player for the Reds the last few years, so given his lack of chances, you have to give him a longer leash time-wise before making a decision to cut him loose. Especially since he's a guy that can refuse assignment and you'd have to let him go permanently.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ryan Ludwick have only a .500 OPS after about 85 PAs? The Reds could afford to give Cairo a longer leash before deciding if his struggles are an extended slump or a sign of things to come.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #341
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,901

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He's been bad, but he's only had 85 plate appearances. It's not like he's had nearly the same sample as a guy that would have 400 PAs by now.

    The point is that he's been a very good player for the Reds the last few years, so given his lack of chances, you have to give him a longer leash time-wise before making a decision to cut him loose. Especially since he's a guy that can refuse assignment and you'd have to let him go permanently.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ryan Ludwick have only a .500 OPS after about 85 PAs? The Reds could afford to give Cairo a longer leash before deciding if his struggles are an extended slump or a sign of things to come.

    Who would he get AB's from though? Not Rolen or Frazier. When Votto comes back.....then he will get even less.

  13. #342
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,277

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Thom just said that Soto and another Cubs player left the game and hugged everybody, like maybe a trade.

    Thing about Cairo is that he really has no role anymore. Frazier and Valdez back up first, second, and third amply. With the emergence of Frazier and the return of Rolen, it's hard to see Miguel's role.

    He does, of course, provide a veteran righty pinch hitter, but the Reds are overloaded with righty bats.

    So Cairo seems to be superfluous at this point, he isn't hitting.

    I still think the Reds will be reluctant to let him go, but it does make sense.

    Nice catch, Stubbs.

  14. #343
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,735

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thom just said that Soto and another Cubs player left the game and hugged everybody, like maybe a trade.

    Thing about Cairo is that he really has no role anymore. Frazier and Valdez back up first, second, and third amply. With the emergence of Frazier and the return of Rolen, it's hard to see Miguel's role.

    He does, of course, provide a veteran righty pinch hitter, but the Reds are overloaded with righty bats.

    So Cairo seems to be superfluous at this point, he isn't hitting.

    I still think the Reds will be reluctant to let him go, but it does make sense.

    Nice catch, Stubbs.
    Reed Johnson
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  15. #344
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,505

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Who would he get AB's from though? Not Rolen or Frazier. When Votto comes back.....then he will get even less.
    That's true, but that would be true with probably anyone playing his role, yes?

    I'm not saying the Reds should stay indebted to Cairo, nor should they give him a free pass the entire season. But he hasn't even cracked 100 plate appearances, so that has to be considered before deciding whether there are better, available options to replace him with. If the Reds can find an upgrade, by all means they should do it. But the others they've tried, Mike Constanzo comes to mind, certainly were not it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  16. #345
    Public Enemy #1 Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,265

    Re: 7/30/12 - Reds vs Padres

    Don't know if you guys checked the trade thread, but Morosi says the Reds are interested in Overbay. Gotta believe that would be the end of Miggy.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25