Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New MLB Power Rankings, Guess who's on top

New MLB Power Rankings, Guess who's on top

From 5th last week to the top this week.It seems like everyone has stepped it up.Hope they can stay there.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New MLB Power Rankings, Guess who's on top

ESPN still has them fourth. Unmoved from last week.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I like being on top.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Who made this ranking you are talking about? Have a link?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Jonah Keri's The 30 has them third:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-unusual-moves

If you haven't read his weekly power rankings column, it's chock full of great information and often funny. He's been pretty spot on this year about our Reds, except this week he has this head-scratching statement:

The starting rotation has Johnny Cueto and a bunch of mid-to-back-rotation types.
    But then there's this one, which I think pretty well sums up many of our feelings about Dusty:

So here's the question that will really cook your noodle: Are the Reds and their emerging young players crushing their preseason projections because of Dusty Baker, or in spite of him? Baker makes personnel decisions that make your head spin. He's benched Frazier for Rolen more than you'd like when Rolen was healthy and Votto wasn't, or for veteran flotsam like Miguel Cairo when Rolen was hurt. With Ludwick absolutely killing the ball, he benched him twice in five days: once after a three-hit performance, the other after cracking two homers in a game. And of course there's the eternal dilemma with Aroldis Chapman: If he could be even close to this dominant as a starter, isn't he terribly wasted in short relief?
    Anyway, I always look forward to it.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Who made this ranking you are talking about? Have a link?
    MLB.com
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

No other thread made sense to me to put this in but here is an article that just the title alone is "cool" enough but then you realize it was written for the St. Louis Dispatch....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...9bb30f31a.html

Tipsheet: Cincinnati Reds, team of destiny

With each passing day the Cincinnati Reds look more destined to make a big postseason run.

They have won 10 games in a row. They have moved three games up on second-place Pittsburgh and 7˝ games ahead of the Cardinals in the National League Central.

While Mike Matheny’s should-be contender was losing two of three games at Wrigley Field, Dusty Baker’s Reds completed a sweep at Colorado.

Playing without MVP candidate Joey Votto, Cincinnati keeps piling up the Ws. They have won 17 of their last 19 games..................
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Jonah Keri's The 30 has them third:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-unusual-moves

If you haven't read his weekly power rankings column, it's chock full of great information and often funny. He's been pretty spot on this year about our Reds, except this week he has this head-scratching statement...

Here is another one:
    Maybe an erratic player like Ludwick needs time off to avoid becoming overexposed as an everyday player. Maybe Baker used his decades of baseball knowledge and decided that Chapman is best suited for relief work, the Reds' need for starting pitching help be damned.
    Really? The Reds need starting pitching? Despite one of the best rotation ERA's in MLB, and that we have the same 5 guys starting now as have pitched all year?

I am blown away by how clueless some of these nationally known writers and pundits are.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Turn Off Ads?