Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 95

Thread: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

  1. #61
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    8. Hanigan
    9. pitcher
    1. Hamilton

    Hanigan gets on base a lot, so how many times do you think we'll see Hamilton lap Hanigan on the basepaths?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    How long does Hannigan have on his contract? According to Cots, he's signed thru next season, and it appears as if that would be his last arbitration season, so he's free to walk unless the Reds resign him. That wouldn't surprise me, but depending on how Mes develops over the next 1.25 seasons, I wouldn't surprise me to see them let Hannigan walk away to make room for a guy like Tucker Barnhart as a once thru the rotation catcher with Mes taking the other 4 days + an occasional rest. W/ the contracts to Votto, Phillips, Bruce, etc... if they can save a few bucks on the backup catcher by putting in a solid defensively in house option it would really help w/ the pay felx.

    anywhoo, I guess my point is, we may not have that many opportunities to watch Hannigan on the base paths in front of a Hamilton triple.

  4. #63
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    How long does Hannigan have on his contract? According to Cots, he's signed thru next season, and it appears as if that would be his last arbitration season, so he's free to walk unless the Reds resign him. That wouldn't surprise me, but depending on how Mes develops over the next 1.25 seasons, I wouldn't surprise me to see them let Hannigan walk away to make room for a guy like Tucker Barnhart as a once thru the rotation catcher with Mes taking the other 4 days + an occasional rest. W/ the contracts to Votto, Phillips, Bruce, etc... if they can save a few bucks on the backup catcher by putting in a solid defensively in house option it would really help w/ the pay felx.

    anywhoo, I guess my point is, we may not have that many opportunities to watch Hannigan on the base paths in front of a Hamilton triple.
    The Reds own the rights to Hanigan through the end of the 2014 season. I have a feeling they'll be on the same field together at some point.

  5. #64
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,551

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    No

    Little Joe's power makes the comparison ludicrous, especially once you adjust for era.

    Also, while Hamilton has done a good job of pumping up his walk rate this year, I seriously doubt he'll ever be as proficient at it as Morgan was. Even if he develops an eye that is equal to Morgan's, he doesn't have the pop in his bat to keep pitchers from challenging him in the strike zone. Drawing walks is a lot harder when pitchers know they can throw a meatball down the middle and not get punished with an extra base hit.

    Lastly, he will certainly be a more prolific base stealer than Morgan, he has a LONG way to go before he is as skilled as Morgan was on the bases. Hamilton is way faster than Morgan ever was, but Joe was the king of getting huge leads, taking extra bases, and generally making a nuisance of himself on the basepaths. If Hamilton can ever develop his baserunning SKILLS to go along with his natural gifts, he has a chance to be all-time great in the baserunning department.
    I realize they're different. I just threw out the comparison because #1 they both have an ability to distract pitchers on the basepaths and #2 I'm curious if Hamilton could have the same kind of effect on the Reds offense.

    But, yeah, it'll be really interesting to see how much Hamilton can improve as a baserunner. If he improves enough 100 steals is possible. Been awhile since a major league did that. Any chance Joe could give him some pointers?
    Last edited by redsfandan; 08-13-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  6. #65
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,899

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    nm

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    809

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Hey guys... lots of threads to talk about Billy's Future potential... this one is all about the NOW. We are celebrating his achievements this year as he is on the verge of doing something incredible.

    Please help me in keeping this thread about this year and this incredible stolen base record. This is not the thread for argument. Talk about Billy's strengths and weaknesses in other threads, because they pull us 9the Reds community) apart and this thread is all about bringing us together to CELEBRATE his current remarkable achievments.


  8. #67
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Hey Hosers (you like my 80's Strange Brew reference?),

    Slidin' Billy is up to 139 steals. That's just six away from tying Vince Coleman's minor league record of 145 and seven from breaking it (quick math ... I obviously went to MIT).

    Hamilton's player page:

    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=571740

  9. #68
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,551

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Hey guys... lots of threads to talk about Billy's Future potential... this one is all about the NOW. We are celebrating his achievements this year as he is on the verge of doing something incredible.

    Please help me in keeping this thread about this year and this incredible stolen base record. This is not the thread for argument. Talk about Billy's strengths and weaknesses in other threads, because they pull us 9the Reds community) apart and this thread is all about bringing us together to CELEBRATE his current remarkable achievments.

    Guess I'll just repost this ...
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That thursday night game at Mobile looks like the game to be at. Could be historic.

    Maybe there could be a RedsZoner with video.
    Happy?

    I apologize, I just didn't think it would be that big a deal to pose the question.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  10. #69
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,001

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    I would hope some sort of media would be there covering him with video in the coming days? Local or otherwise?

  11. #70
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    4 away from tying it
    Most Vottomatic Player

  12. #71
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Two more in the first inning tonight.



    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  13. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    809

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    As an added bonus, Billy is also 4 steals behind the Southern League Leader, Josh Prince. In the past week, Billy has moved from 8th place to a tie for second.

  14. #73
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    As an added bonus, Billy is also 4 steals behind the Southern League Leader, Josh Prince. In the past week, Billy has moved from 8th place to a tie for second.
    This is what I'm hoping for. Naturally I'm rooting for the pro baseball SB record, but I wonder how unique it would be for a player to lead two different minor leagues in an offensive category in the same year.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

    Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

  15. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    503

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    I will be in Mobile on Friday with vids. I think he ties it on Friday, takes a day off on Saturday, and claims the record on Sunday in Pensacola.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

  16. #75
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

    Billy Hamilton is tied with Hak-Ju Lee for second in the Southern League in SBs (37). Lee's been there 116 games, Hamilton 33.
    @BenBadler


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25