Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Trick question, he meant the other Billy Hamilton.
    Good catch Doug. "Sliding Billy Hamilton" led the majors in five different seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Vince Coleman played for the Reds near the end of his career. Very briefly in 1996. Stole 12 bases.

Not sure you can have a Stolen Base Countdown without mentioning this ex-Red.
    Number twenty-one in your scorecard and number one in your hearts. The most exciting two minutes in sports, Sean Casey stealing second base.

Sean "Wheels" Casey. If he ran as fast as he talked, he would be in Cooperstown today.

I said in the Casey - Reds HoF thread, but I'll repeat it here. The best quote I've ever seen about Sean Casey's running skills (or lack there of) was a quote that I saw in SI however many years back. I don't remember who said it, but it went something like this:

"Sean Casey is the slowest man I've ever seen with perfect running form"

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Vince Coleman played for the Reds near the end of his career. Very briefly in 1996. Stole 12 bases.
    Hoping the Wahoos can get him in house when Billy gets closer. I liked Vince until he became a Met.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Not sure you can have a Stolen Base Countdown without mentioning this ex-Red.
    Number twenty-one in your scorecard and number one in your hearts. The most exciting two minutes in sports, Sean Casey stealing second base.

Sean "Wheels" Casey. If he ran as fast as he talked, he would be in Cooperstown today.

Sorry, but blame Billy. He is the one that stole 3 bases in a night, going from 23 to 20 remaining... Skipping the illustrious 21.

MILB is following Hamilton's progress as well. He now has the third highest total in minor league history. Interestingly enough, numbers one and two both happened in 1983. Vince Coleman had 145 and Donnell Nixon had 144. That was pre-internet, of course. Can you imagine the coverage if that happened nowadays?

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

MILB is following Hamilton's progress as well. He now has the third highest total in minor league history. Interestingly enough, numbers one and two both happened in 1983. Vince Coleman had 145 and Donnell Nixon had 144. That was pre-internet, of course. Can you imagine the coverage if that happened nowadays?

Make you wonder where each would have ended up had one or the other been injuried that season. Did each push each other to attempt more steals to claim the title? Would they have stopped short of 120 if they had the record in hand?

I liked Chris Sabo when he was active.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Donnell Nixon is a perfect example as to why I'm not as carried away about Hamilton as others are. Nixon as a 20 Y/O in A ball:

508 PAs .338/.396/.479/.876 with 85 SB in 98 attempts. The following year A+
    620 PAs .321/.391/.408/.799 with 144 SB in 168 attempts. Nixon ended up with a short career as a part time player who accumulated 438 PAs over 4 seasons and ended with a career OPS of .671.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-08-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The number seven basestealer of all-time is Walter Arlington (Arlie) Latham. Also known as 'The Freshest Man On Earth'. And there is your stolen base trivia of the day.

A little change of pace here.

198 career steals. Most of them headfirst. Nice. Unfortunately, the Russian judge gave him a 7. No medal for Pete.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-08-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?