Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Hybrid View

Devin Mesoraco

1. They kept the right guy. I beleive his intensity and his long term abilities will pay off. He's built like a catcher and he'll start hitting.

2. He lost the argument and won the war. The pitching staff may believe that he got over heated, but if i was a pitcher and knew that my catcher cared THAT much about the strike zone. I would love it. I think there's a positive to his over heated response.

3. I hope he gets to the point where his intensity is there, and his focus is increased. Ryan Hanigan did a wonderful job in managing Johnny Cueoto. The K zone was small and he did seem to be getting squeezed. Ryan kept his intensity and was upset about the calls -but didn't lose his focus and was able to manage Cueto through some tough times.

Dusty needs to tell Mesoraco that he loves the intensity, but not the lack of focus---it's very difficult to manage others thru a crisis if you yourself are in a crisis.

I wonder if almost getting way laid by Maybin increased DM's intensity so much that he could not manage his emotions? Those kind of issues make for one intense situation.

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Assuming he gets a suspension, how long does it usually take to get an appeal heard? I would think they would try and delay it until at least Votto comes back.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Assuming he gets a suspension, how long does it usually take to get an appeal heard? I would think they would try and delay it until at least Votto comes back.
    It would be a total joke if he's suspended.. Mes was standing there, palms up, ball in his hand, and the ump walked up to Mes and made the contact.
    It was very clear on the TV.. even Brantley said that.

This is why I have little respect for umps. The ump had every right to throw Mes out of the game, but then to walk up and bump Mes and then say "Now you touched me" (Lip read, one of the TV guys said the same).. What a tool.
    The sooner they have computers calling balls and strikes the better..
    They can still have the human ump there for plays at the plate.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It would be a total joke if he's suspended.. Mes was standing there, palms up, ball in his hand, and the ump walked up to Mes and made the contact.
    I just re-watched this. Surely Mes won't get suspended for contact if they watch the video. He was making a hand gesture and the ump walked right into it. Hilarious that he made such a big deal out of it.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

If MLB has umpires that carry grudges, then it is time to clean the house. A MLB umpire, while human, is a person who should NEVER carry a grudge against an individual or a team. I like to think the umpires in MLB are a bit smarter than that. They might not be perfect (hold comments, lol), but hopefully they understand that their job requires no grudges/paybacks. I also like to think that a REPUTATION is developed by a doing this on a fairly regular basis and not based on a one-time incident. I'd hate to see this molehill become a mountain!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    If MLB has umpires that carry grudges, then it is time to clean the house. A MLB umpire, while human, is a person who should NEVER carry a grudge against an individual or a team. I like to think the umpires in MLB are a bit smarter than that. They might not be perfect (hold comments, lol), but hopefully they understand that their job requires no grudges/paybacks. I also like to think that a REPUTATION is developed by a doing this on a fairly regular basis and not based on a one-time incident. I'd hate to see this molehill become a mountain!
    It is really stressed in the world of umpiring not to hold grudges and while from my experiences I can't say it never happens it is pretty rare. I can see Fairchild having a short leash on Mes if a similar situation happens with Mes disputing a pitch. However as far as widening the zone when Mes is up or blowing a call against him, I seriously doubt that would happen. Most umpires especially at the professional level are not going to want to look bad by blowing a call just to settle a grudge. From my perspective and most of the umpires I know (including many ex pro's) , we realize that sometimes emotions can get out of hand because there is alot of intensity out there on the field and these things will happen.

One teachable moment from this whole thing is when confronting an umpire whether as a player or coach is to keep hands down or behind your back. I keep mine in my back pocket when confronted so they cannot accuse me of trying to hit them or accidentally bump them like what happened with Mes
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

This is why I have little respect for umps. The ump had every right to throw Mes out of the game, but then to walk up and bump Mes and then say "Now you touched me" (Lip read, one of the TV guys said the same).. What a tool.
    The sooner they have computers calling balls and strikes the better..
    They can still have the human ump there for plays at the plate.
    You are absolutely right. It was a shameful display by the umpire. He escalated the dispute instead of walking away like a true professional. The contact was very clearly the umpire's fault yet he tried to blame it on Mesoraco. He showed he is a dishonest person. A good umpire has to control his emotions, remain impartial and be impeccably honest. If he can't do those things he doesn't belong in the big leagues.

Mesoraco needs to learn that sometimes you are going to get paired up with a poor umpire. He needs to learn how to handle the situation better than he did last night obviously. He can learn a lot from Ryan Hanigan when it comes to manipulating umpires.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    You are absolutely right. It was a shameful display by the umpire. He escalated the dispute instead of walking away like a true professional. The contact was very clearly the umpire's fault yet he tried to blame it on Mesoraco. He showed he is a dishonest person. A good umpire has to control his emotions, remain impartial and be impeccably honest. If he can't do those things he doesn't belong in the big leagues.
    I can't seem to locate it, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but wasn't an ump suspended last year for doing just that... escalating the situation instead of defusing it?

Another thing about the ump, in the following night, when he was on 3rd, he was still making calls that looked a bit biased, one of my friends, who doesn't watch much baseball, commented on the swing appeal that was called a strike by him. Friend said... "Hmm, that guy must have money on the other team" Cracked me up,
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    I can't seem to locate it, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but wasn't an ump suspended last year for doing just that... escalating the situation instead of defusing it?

Another thing about the ump, in the following night, when he was on 3rd, he was still making calls that looked a bit biased, one of my friends, who doesn't watch much baseball, commented on the swing appeal that was called a strike by him. Friend said... "Hmm, that guy must have money on the other team" Cracked me up,
    Apparently, he was still at it today according to Brantley (take that for what its worth), made a bad call on a check swing. Regardless, Chad Fairchild does not seem to be a professional umpire, just an umpire calling games in the big leagues. Hopefully he will join Bob Davidson in the unemployment line.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

The sooner they have computers calling balls and strikes the better.
    Boy it pains me to agree with that, but I do.

The umps have come a LONG way since the bad old days, but it just isn't enough.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    1. They kept the right guy. I beleive his intensity and his long term abilities will pay off. He's built like a catcher and he'll start hitting.

2. He lost the argument and won the war. The pitching staff may believe that he got over heated, but if i was a pitcher and knew that my catcher cared THAT much about the strike zone. I would love it. I think there's a positive to his over heated response.

3. I hope he gets to the point where his intensity is there, and his focus is increased. Ryan Hanigan did a wonderful job in managing Johnny Cueoto. The K zone was small and he did seem to be getting squeezed. Ryan kept his intensity and was upset about the calls -but didn't lose his focus and was able to manage Cueto through some tough times.

Dusty needs to tell Mesoraco that he loves the intensity, but not the lack of focus---it's very difficult to manage others thru a crisis if you yourself are in a crisis.

I wonder if almost getting way laid by Maybin increased DM's intensity so much that he could not manage his emotions? Those kind of issues make for one intense situation.
    I love the passion, but he has to control the anger. If anything he's going to cost his pitchers calls in the future by acting like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I love the passion, but he has to control the anger. If anything he's going to cost his pitchers calls in the future by acting like that.
    Agreed. It's nice to see the guy fired up, but not at the expense of winning ball games. Not only has this outburst potentially cost his pitchers future calls, he also might have put the team in a pinch once the suspension kicks in.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Agreed. It's nice to see the guy fired up, but not at the expense of winning ball games. Not only has this outburst potentially cost his pitchers future calls, he also might have put the team in a pinch once the suspension kicks in.
    Paging Corky Miller?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Paging Corky Miller?
    I'm hoping for Navarro.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Paging Corky Miller?
    From what I was reading earlier today, Miller and Navarro are not on the 40/25 man rosters.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?