Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Realignment may be coming to Major League Baseball and here's how it could look

Realignment may be coming to Major League Baseball and here's how it could look

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ould_look.html

Showalter acknowledged that to do this, baseball would have to contract two teams and then form four seven-team divisions. Each team would play six games against all 27 opponents. That works out to 162 games. There are also inherent problems with every team playing each other. One is travel and the other is it defeats the purpose of geographic re-alignment, which is to play as many games as possible in your own time zone. Still, four divisions of seven makes for easier schedule scenarios.

Also talk of doing away with the DH
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Realignment may be coming to Major League Baseball and here's how it could look

I know this is radical, and I don't think it will fly, but I love the idea. Absolutely love it.

That said, I don't get why they can't make six divisions of five work. I've run a whole bunch of scenarios by myself in the past, and it can still work out rather well. It doesn't seem like contracting is something that absolutely should have to be done.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Realignment may be coming to Major League Baseball and here's how it could look

Healthy leagues don't contract.

The NHL and WHA contracted in the 70's, I can't think of another time that it has occurred in a league that was healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Healthy leagues don't contract.

The NHL and WHA contracted in the 70's, I can't think of another time that it has occurred in a league that was healthy.
    Rosenthal agrees with you

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/o...raction-022211
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I like the idea of contracting two teams and the realignment. I don't think the Rays are a good team to contract. They are a good team, with good player development. THey are just in a terrible market. It would be better to contract the Mets and move the Rays in as the NL New York team.

Southern division? Yuck :thumbdown

a 27 man roster, fine
    no DH, great

The completely balanced schedule, however, makes no sense to me. If that is the case, there would be no purpose in having any divisions at all. Just let the top 8 teams go to the playoffs. I prefer the qualitative inequities of an unbalanced schedule if it preserves the mystique inherent in post season match-ups of teams that have traveled different paths to get there.

I'd really hate to be a Mariner with a balanced schedule, their travel schedule is brutal enough with the unbalanced one.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'd really hate to be a Mariner with a balanced schedule, their travel schedule is brutal enough with the unbalanced one.
    Yep, we are far away from the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I'd rather have Seattle's schedule than Boston's to be honest.

Seattle at least gets to fly to all their West coast games. Boston would bus to the Mets, Yankees and possibly Philadelphia.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, we are far away from the rest of you.
    Which is just they way we like it. :
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

6 divisions
    5 teams each
    no DH
    let every team in MLB play each other during the year (the mystique of interleague games has evaporated)

Done.

Yeah, its a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    6 divisions
    5 teams each
    no DH
    let every team in MLB play each other during the year (the mystique of interleague games has evaporated)

Done.

Yeah, its a pipe dream.
    By this math you would have an odd number of teams which would mean someone doesnt have an opponent in a window of days for games. Would you just stretch out interleague for the entire season for the two teams that get left out? Kal this next part is just in general to the rest of the thread not toward yours.

The ship of contraction has sailed. All of the likeliest teams are or have gotten new stadiums and you're not going to alienate whole areas by taking away their team just after the taxpayers fit the bill (in most cases) for brand spankin top of the line new stadiums at the expense that most occured. Not to mention the cost of buying out current ownership groups to contract those teams.

I agree do away with the dh, its too much of a built-in advantage to the AL. Gives the AL teams an extra opportunity to be able to go after someone like Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko play both of them 150+ games without either losing abs. NL Teams don't have the same built in strength with the pitchers batting and those types wanting to play everyday. Either everyone with DH or no one none of this half and half.

And to close how in the world would Chris Carpenter explain this to his son!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I agree do away with the dh, its too much of a built-in advantage to the AL. Gives the AL teams an extra opportunity to be able to go after someone like Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko play both of them 150+ games without either losing abs. NL Teams don't have the same built in strength with the pitchers batting and those types wanting to play everyday. Either everyone with DH or no one none of this half and half.
    Unfortunately, as much as I dislike the DH, I think the MLBPA would have some things to say about a rule change that takes away 14 starting-salary positions from it's membership.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    By this math you would have an odd number of teams which would mean someone doesnt have an opponent in a window of days for games. Would you just stretch out interleague for the entire season for the two teams that get left out? Kal this next part is just in general to the rest of the thread not toward yours.

The ship of contraction has sailed. All of the likeliest teams are or have gotten new stadiums and you're not going to alienate whole areas by taking away their team just after the taxpayers fit the bill (in most cases) for brand spankin top of the line new stadiums at the expense that most occured. Not to mention the cost of buying out current ownership groups to contract those teams.

And to close how in the world would Chris Carpenter explain this to his son!
    Maybe I messed something up, but I would have 30 teams in a league with an NBAish schedule...total expansion of interleague play. And as mentioned, I'd eliminate the DH...so it will never happen. Does that not work in theory?

Turn Off Ads?