Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

If the Dodgers can add Cliff Lee as well, they become extra scary. Still, I think the Reds are in as good a shape as anyone.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    If the Dodgers can add Cliff Lee as well, they become extra scary. Still, I think the Reds are in as good a shape as anyone.
    The Dodgers might as well switch half their players with Phillies players. They got Victorino and Blanton. Now they want Lee. Geez. Magic Johnson and the rest of the ownership must be opening up the pocket book big time. Im a big big believer in team chemistry. All the great postseason teams have great chemistry and this Reds team seems like they have that kind of chemistry. Im still more worried about the Giants than the Dodgers. The back end of our bullpen is arguably the best in baseball. I was not opposed to us aquiring Broxton. That move to add him just shortened the games to 7 innings, and now that Marshall is in the right spot which is the 7th it really shortens the games to 6 innings. I also think that aquiring Broxton will help Aroldis to not be overused come the end of Sept. I have the upmost confidence that Jonathan can come in a close some games down the stretch. Also if Madson re-signs with us which by all accounts he wants to that would make us just as strong next year with Chappy going to the rotation and Broxton(if we can lock him up for a couple years) and Madson closing games out.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

The Giants filled their two biggest holes with Scutaro and Pence. Lincecum has pitched pretty well in 3 of his last 4. If he gets it together and Sandoval gets back, I still think they might have the biggest chance for a play-off run. That's a lot of ifs, but the best foundation with Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner and Voglesong.

I like Sandoval, Posey, Pence and Melky more than Kemp, Ethier, Hanley and Loney. Kemp is the best player of those guys but I like the SF guys better than Hanley and especially Loney.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Giants filled their two biggest holes with Scutaro and Pence. Lincecum has pitched pretty well in 3 of his last 4. If he gets it together and Sandoval gets back, I still think they might have the biggest chance for a play-off run. That's a lot of ifs, but the best foundation with Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner and Voglesong.

I like Sandoval, Posey, Pence and Melky more than Kemp, Ethier, Hanley and Loney. Kemp is the best player of those guys but I like the SF guys better than Hanley and especially Loney.
    I agree with you mth. The Giants proved in 2010 that they can win without a Yankees or Redsox type offense. Now that they have some good offensive peices I am more scared of them than any other NL opponent esp. with Lincecum starting to pitch like the guy we have known for the last couple years.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Ya know, I'm not in the best shape in the world so I can't say too much about anyone else. But I've always thought there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for someone who makes their living as a professional athlete to be that overweight.

I remember sitting in the diamond seats back in 2004 and I was probably 10 feet away from D'Angelo Jiminez in the on deck circle. I remember looking at him and seeing a gut and a guy who didn't look to be in good shape at all. I thought here was a guy with all the talent in the world and is trying to carve out a career in the major leagues and is struggling to live up to his potential. How in the world can a guy like that be in such obviously poor shape?
    Jimenez had a good amount of talent, but he was the complete opposite of a "winner". I don't think it's a coincidence that the only time he got any notable playing time on a winning ball club was with the 2003 White Sox. And half-way through the season, he was traded to the losing Reds and replaced by a "winner" in Roberto Alomar.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    . All the great postseason teams have great chemistry and this Reds team seems like they have that kind of chemistry. .

Raisor would like to remind you of those Yankee and Athletic teams where they guys in the clubhouse hated each other.

The 1995 Braves also did not get along very well. Kenny Lofton was public enemy number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Raisor would like to remind you of those Yankee and Athletic teams where they guys in the clubhouse hated each other.

The 1995 Braves also did not get along very well. Kenny Lofton was public enemy number one.
    Chemistry doesn't always mean a loveliest. The right diversity, the right interclub rivalries, the right mixture of personalities can lead to overall positive chemistry. For the record, Bench, Morgan and Rose didn't get along very well at all. It took Doggie to keep them happy together.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

In other words, winning breeds chemistry.

They traded Lofton after that too

And the As, they hated Charlie more each other, they also didn't love the managers they had either

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

And the As, they hated Charlie more each other, they also didn't love the managers they had either
    Sounds like those A's were drinking a whole bunch of Hater-aid.

Kenny Lofton is the only player I can ever remember Bobby Cox calling out in public.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Kenny Lofton is the only player I can ever remember Bobby Cox calling out in public.
    I never knew it was THAT bad in regards to him. What did he do?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Broxton just continues to disappoint. (sarcasm)

And his fastball is a weak 95/96 mph one. (more sarcasm)

Thumbs up to Walt.

I love this pick up more and more. This is a better back end of the bullpen than 1990. These guys actually have control.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

You and Raisor are exactly right regarding locker room chemistry, but Kenny Lofton was a Cleveland Indian in '95, and didn't become a Brave until '97.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?