Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He walks 3.5 hitters per 9 innings this year. That isn't really good. It isn't terrible, but it isn't good.

As a reliever, he probably shouldn't have more than 2 walks in any game this year. As for July, sure, he has walked 2. He has also only struck out 2. He has all of 5 innings in July.
    Doug, I think Broxton is now the top RH reliever on this team. Do you disagree?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    His fast ball velocity is NOT increasing.

Why do you say that given that the data shows a 2 MPH increase since the beginning of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Another nice thing about this move.
    Let's say Broxton does well for the rest of the year, he enjoys being a Red, and wants to come back.
    That makes it a lot easier to move Chapman to the rotation next year.
    No guarantee everything works out, but this could be a long term fix as well.. Broxton is still pretty young, and seems to be recovering from surgery this fine.

Short term, I like Broxton a lot better than Bray (the guy he's replacing).
    I hope they can sign Madson for next year, but Broxton might not be a bad guy to keep around in case Madson isn't 100% following his surgery. Of course, this all depends on how Broxton does going forward. Right now I'm skeptical that he can become the reliever he was in LA, but we'll see.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I hope they can sign Madson for next year, but Broxton might not be a bad guy to keep around in case Madson isn't 100% following his surgery. Of course, this all depends on how Broxton does going forward. Right now I'm skeptical that he can become the reliever he was in LA, but we'll see.
    As probably the biggest Broxton supporter on this board, I don't think he'll ever get back to striking out 13 guys per nine. I do think, though, he can get back to 8-10 and reinvent himself as a groundball pitcher, as he's now throwing a heavier ball and occasionally mixing in a sinker as well.

If he does what I think he'll do, Broxton-Marshall-Madson would be a very, very good bullpen and they could move Chapman to the rotation, trading Leake or Bailey for a bat.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As probably the biggest Broxton supporter on this board, I don't think he'll ever get back to striking out 13 guys per nine. I do think, though, he can get back to 8-10 and reinvent himself as a groundball pitcher, as he's now throwing a heavier ball and occasionally mixing in a sinker as well.

If he does what I think he'll do, Broxton-Marshall-Madson would be a very, very good bullpen and they could move Chapman to the rotation, trading Leake or Bailey for a bat.
    I think you're right - 13/9 is not gonna happen, but if he's anywhere near 8-10 he can still be very effective. A Broxton-Marshall-Madson back of the bullpen could be tremendous; however, there's a lot of "if" in that daydream.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

There is a point in a ballplayer's career where they are done and no matter what their record says, they're not going to ever be good again. I think of Griffey's last year in Seattle. I think Rolen is seeing the light perhaps this year. Abreu is fighting off the reaper. Damon is closer. Ibanez is ageless. Matsui gave up the ghost this year.

Broxton isn't there yet. Not even close. And I'd put his name and reputation up with some of the best in the game. If you stop and think, we've got Jonathan Broxton setting up. That is some crazy upside for this bullpen. Way more this year than anyone currently in the minors. If you like prospects, Broxton is a great prospect for this team to have acquired.

If the same guy scouted him that scouted Alfredo Simon, then I have to give that guy the benefit of the doubt.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    GB's also lead to hits and runs. I'd rather my late inning reliever not be in tough spots so much.
    I'm confused. For years, people on this board have been clamoring for ground ball pitchers in this ball park. We get one and you are complaining because ground balls lead to hits and runs? (When healthy) the Reds have one of the best infield defenses in MLB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm afraid Aroldis is going to leave a lot of future closers big shoes to fill in the eyes of Reds fans. Broxton, Madson, whoever.

Given the Reds current roster, do any of you prefer another RHP be used in the 7,8,9th inning of a game in which the Reds are holding a slim lead? If the answer is no then they've clearly helped themselves

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Pitch FX data on Brooks Baseball says otherwise.
    Yep.

The stats say one good things about Broxton. Yet the people who don't like him say he can't sustain them.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yep.

The stats say one good things about Broxton. Yet the people who don't like him say he can't sustain them.
    And he probably can't. He gives up few fly balls, but he should have allowed more than 1 home run this year. He has a 1.42 WHIP but has a sub 2.50 ERA. That doesn't really jive with what one would expect does it?

Just looking over game logs, observations, and other general thoughts:
    • 5 innings in July. Fresh arm or stale from underuse?
    • Work of late has been a little messy, mostly on the hit side. Due to lack of use or hittability?
    • Will a primary role of RH setup guy change his approach and increase K rate, decrease BB rate?
    • Will reentry to a contending team from baseball Siberia increase focus, ergo effectiveness?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why do you say that given that the data shows a 2 MPH increase since the beginning of the year?
    Because the data doesn't show that.

here is his rolling averages (i.e. the data used to draw the trend line):

95.9 95.4 94.0 95.1 95.0 94.4 95.1

Where is a 2 mph increase? If anything over his last 10 or so appearances, he's averaged 1 mph slower than his first 5 appearances.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And he probably can't. He gives up few fly balls, but he should have allowed more than 1 home run this year. He has a 1.42 WHIP but has a sub 2.50 ERA. That doesn't really jive with what one would expect does it?
    I guess that points out how those aren't very good indicators to make conclusions when looking at relievers? For all we know he may suddenly not be able to induce GBs at the same rate as he has for a half season, since that hasn't been his MO for his career. It seems there might be some risk in this transaction that goes along with the hoped reward. Go figure, this move is not a sure thing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?