Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Does the hand-wringing surprise you?

The thing is, I imagine most of the same people that complain of overpaying would be complaining if they didn't make the trades at all.

I mean, how upset would people be right now if they had not traded for Latos, Marshall and Broxton and head into the deadline no better?
    "Hand-wringing". More hyperbole. Go back and read threads. I was okay with Pierre or standing pat.

Carry on.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Just a guess... wondering if Masset isn't going to be ready sooner than later. I heard he was progressing but they always say that. Can't risk losing these tight games.

If there's a brawl, Broxton has to be first out of the dugout. LOL
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Just a guess... wondering if Masset isn't going to be ready sooner than later. I heard he was progressing but they always say that. Can't risk losing these tight games.

He will also be the last one to reach the brawl. Unless it is at a buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    "Hand-wringing". More hyperbole. Go back and read threads. I was okay with Pierre or standing pat.

Carry on.
    It's not hyperbole and if you have a problem with me, you should take it private. You've been coming at me quite a few times since last week. Clearly you're still upset.

So if you have a problem, you know where the PM function is located.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And I still stand by the fact that we overpaid. We were literally the only team who wanted Rolen and that he would accept a trade to. And we gave up our #1 pitching prospect, plus a Major Leaguer and a minor league reliever who had some value.
    You certainly have an extreme level of confidence in your opinions. I'll give you that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

It would be one thing to trade those two for two months of the 2009 Broxton. But the guy they just acquired is comparable to another Arredondo.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Broxton's HR/9 should play well at GABP, and that should help the bullpen even more. Hopefully he's deemed healthy and might get a bounce back in that K/9. One other thing, this move also signifies that the Reds might be waving the white flag on Masset and Bray this year.

I'm not too worried about what the Reds gave up. They kept their upper level prospects in the system, especially Hamilton, so the system is still fine.

I'm disappointed they couldn't find some more offense, but at the same time I'm not sure what the asking prices were. As MWM alluded to in the other thread, I'd rather keep Hamilton. If other teams zoned in on Billy then maybe it's best Walt didn't pull that trigger.

All in all, I'm fine with the deal so long as Broxton's fully healthy.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You certainly have an extreme level of confidence in your opinions. I'll give you that.
    Why have one if you don't believe in it? I don't just make some opinion off the cusp with no rhyme or reason for it. I form the opinion based on what I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

Carry on.
    Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Walt overpays once again.

Anyone else you want to add, Walt?

Wow.
    I actually believe the hyperbole belongs to you. But that is just my opinion.

Carry on.

I like it. Load up on guys that have been there. Plus, if a starter goes down it leaves an option for Chapman to the rotation.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    He may be first out of the dugout, but he'll still be the last one there.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I like it. Load up on guys that have been there. Plus, if a starter goes down it leaves an option for Chapman to the rotation.
    No it doesn't. Chapman is not starting this year for the Reds. They could lose 3 starters and it wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I like it.

It's not all about K's.

Dude has a 56.6% groundball rate. That kicks butt when you're pitching in GABP.
    If it's sustainable.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why have one if you don't believe in it? I don't just make some opinion off the cusp with no rhyme or reason for it. I form the opinion based on what I believe.
    Sometimes people look at things they've said and done and say "wow, maybe I wasn't right about that". It is technically possible.

Just sayin'

Well.....at least we got some NLDS and NLCS experience out of the this deal. I am still very torn on how I feel about this trade.

Turn Off Ads?