Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    With the exception of Chapman, back of the pen looking a little shaky. No time for seniority or loyalty -- give Hoover a good look.
    I don't include Marshall in that group of shaky. Not sure why the Broxton acquisition has to mean the end of Sean in the set up role? I would've thought last night with 2 out in the 8th and Howard due up first in the B8 that Marshall would've been allowed to hit and then pitch to him at least to get the first out. Howard's numbers this year against LHP: .214-.298-.381.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't include Marshall in that group of shaky.
    Yeah, he isn't shaky. But he's not quite the shutdown setup guy either. Seems somewhat inconsistent, and I'm not sure how well he weathers big pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yeah, he isn't shaky. But he's not quite the shutdown setup guy either. Seems somewhat inconsistent, and I'm not sure how well he weathers big pressure.
    Looks to me like Marshall needs more work. He is under 50 innings, worked in the 70s the last two years. His hits are a little higher than last two years, rest is mostly consistent. He seems to be consistently struggling with the first few batters to find the zone for his curve. I'd guess more work would improve that for him.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

When one whipping boy is sent down, another inevitably bubbles to the surface.

For those that believe in luck, he's been very unlucky with a .421 BAbip

I think Chapman has spoiled people because the fact of the matter is that relievers will give up runs.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    For those that believe in luck, he's been very unlucky with a .421 BAbip
    It always seems to me the hits he gives up are of the bleeder variety. I suppose that could also indicate his out pitch isn't 100%, either.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think Chapman has spoiled people because the fact of the matter is that relievers will give up runs.
    Nah, I think we all get that. I just expect a 'set up man' to strike out more than 3 out of 28 batters faced. The breaks don't go your way when that is what you are bringing to the table because there are just simply too many chances for breaks to go against you.

Reds righty bullpen hasn't been that great all year. Chapman and Marshall on the left side are so good that their numbers mask the righty situation.

Lecure can be effective, gets hurt most seasons, affects his performance. Arredondo ok, walks a lot of guys, allows HRs. Ondrusek started good, went downhill. Simon pretty good, not a back end guy, his value is his ability to pitch multi innings effectively.

It was a good idea to acquire Broxton who had 23 saves for KC, can still throw hard, gets DPs. Doesn't miss a ton of bats, but for a late season acquisition glad Reds got him. Agree with Doug that it's too bad he doesn't miss more bats.

Hoover should be back with the big club too. Bat misser, did well at AAA, time for his return. Won't criticize sending him down, but time for his return.

It's not Broxton v. Hoover. The righty bullpen isn't that great and I think both should be Reds. Hoover likely to come up tomorrow when the Mes suspension ends and 25 man roster restored.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-22-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Phillips makes a play and we aren't talking about Broxton. Over the course of this season he has kept the ball in the park, which IMO is one of the most important things a reliever can do. I don't have a problem with last night, Phillips makes that play or a late swing doesn't find the foul line and Broxton does his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Broxton just continues to disappoint. (sarcasm)

And his fastball is a weak 95/96 mph one. (more sarcasm)

Thumbs up to Walt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Too small a sample size.

What he did in KC can't be discounted.
    So which one is it? You seemed to be gloating in his early performances, but now you're saying what you've seen in a Reds uni is too small of a sample?

What you mentioned abotu KC is correct. However, what sticks out the most is his low K rate, and decently high walk rate. He's probably pretty much the same pitcher in Cincinnati, and that is probably a pitcher that shouldn't be pitching the 8th. That role should be Marshall's.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you who the reds best righty reliever is. It might be JJ Hoover for all we know.

Arredondo needs to get it going from the right side. In his last 10 innings (30 days) he has walked five and allowed three homers.

Jose is hard to hit, his BAA is good and his hits per inning allowed is good.

But too many walks - 28 in 49 innings overall - and recently quite a few homers allowed.

He's the righty I thought would cover the late innings. If he was more effective the need for Broxton/Hoover in the late innings might be less.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Don't you know, when a prediction is made, and it happens immediately, that means the prediction was correct. Basic rules like sample size don't count in those instances.

A bad hop and a slashing triple by a farmhand having the game of his life doesn't alarm me. I actually liked the fact that I saw 97/98 on the fastball readings last night.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Looks to me like Marshall needs more work. He is under 50 innings, worked in the 70s the last two years. His hits are a little higher than last two years, rest is mostly consistent. He seems to be consistently struggling with the first few batters to find the zone for his curve. I'd guess more work would improve that for him.
    Two very good observations. I'm with you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nah, I think we all get that. I just expect a 'set up man' to strike out more than 3 out of 28 batters faced. The breaks don't go your way when that is what you are bringing to the table because there are just simply too many chances for breaks to go against you.
    I was actually referring to lollipopcurve's statement that the back end of the pen 'looks shaky', not Broxton specifically.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?