Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

From Sheldon:

Dusty Baker on Broxton:

“He’s a guy that closed in L.A. and was a closer because [Joakim] Soria got injured in Kansas City,” Baker said. “Here’s a guy that can setup. On days Chapman goes two or three days in a row, he can close. It gives us some more strength and a power arm in the bullpen.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Any concern that Broxton pitched in only 6 games the entire month of July.
    Not when your team was 6-21

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Lots of great closers weren't high K guys:

Quiz
    Sutter
    D. Smith
    Franco
    Shaw

Just off the top of my head.

GB's lead to DP's which are better for a reliever in a rough spot.
    Can't say that I disagree but tell that to the baBIP folks. I guarantee the baBIP number is higher than the BA after strike three

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't put him at the back end of the bullpen. Of course I wouldn't put Broxton there either and I guess that is the difference. Broxton to me profiles as a guy who should be pitching in the 6th inning. If the best asset you have is that you allow a lot of groundballs, you aren't a back end of the bullpen guy.
    57% (56.6%) groundball rate plays well in GABP. And his HR/9 is tied to his career low in a season mainly because he doesn't give up many flyballs.

This is exactly the kind of reliever you need in GABP.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Indifferent about this move. Doesn't really improve the club tremendously, but they also didn't really give up much in the way of real value.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not when your team was 6-21
    Unless there was a physical reason then I'd say it's a positive. We need a well rested guy in that pen

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Oh joy, we might use a guy who walks a bunch of guys and can't strike guys out as a set up man and closer. Watch out NL. Watch. Out.

Still waiting to see where Joseph ends up in the KC org.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Absolutely. But the Reds had a different opinion than you did about Stewart with the information they had at the time of the trade. That information led them to believe Stewart was not the commodity you believed.

Just because you (and I mean this as a general statement applying to anyone, really) might perceive Stewart's value to be one thing, doesn't mean an organization shares the same perception.

Trades are made with the information you have at the time. I wholeheartedly agree. But the information the Reds have and the opinions they believe are not always what you or I perceive. So for anyone to say a trade is wrong based on your perception of value is a fallacy to begin with.
    So say we trade Votto for Donnie Joseph. What would your perception of that value be and tell me why you are wrong for having that perception. You perceive what you perceive, wrong or not that is your opinion your entitled to. Why all the hubbub because someone states their opinion? And make no mistake what kicked this thing off was folks overreacting to how someone felt about the deal.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Oh joy, we might use a guy who walks a bunch of guys and can't strike guys out as a set up man and closer. Watch out NL. Watch. Out.
    "Walks a bunch of guys."

His walk rate is exactly Major League average for relief pitchers, Doug. Major League average and his walk rate are both 3.53 per nine innings.

And his career K-Rate is in the double digits. Clearly he can strike guys out. Whether he will continue to do so is an unsettled question.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    Any word on whether KC picks up any of the salary?
    Hahahahaha! I'm sorry but KC and "picking up part of the salary" is funny...this is the cheapest organization in baseball - I assure you if they had to pick up the salary - even a dime of it - they would not have made the trade! Dick Glass purchasing the Royals was a Carl Lindner "civic duty" type of thing only he is ten times worse than Lindner not understanding what baseball is about or how to run a sports franchise. Not a clue. KC will lose its franchise or Glass will die and the team will get a new owner before they ever become a serious competitor again. Even with the first pick every year forever.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm not getting into it on here. I've said what I've said and stated my position. Your posts have been acknowledged by others to come across as doing what you're accusing me and others of. Just consider that.

Ok, I apologize in advance to the board, but I have to respond to this.

What "posts"? What "others"? You are all over the place with this.

For the record, I haven't accused anyone of anything.

I don’t agree with the trade. It’s that simple. Doesn’t mean I think I know more than Walt. Doesn’t mean I think the “sky is falling”. Doesn’t mean I’m “hand-wringing” or “freaking out”. I just don’t agree and think we overpaid. No biggie. Also, I think Ondrusek could have been replaced by Hoover and Bray by Joseph. I’ve been beating that drum for a while now. I think that would have been a better alternative than going after Broxton. You don’t agree? Fine. I’m not mocking your opinion. I’m not belittling you with hyperbole.

There’s another thread where we’ve been discussing the future of the board and IMO this is one of the problems with it. We have too many posters that feel they have to moderate threads with what they think is appropriate and what is not appropriate. Do we want groupthink? Do we want an echo where everyone parrots the same thoughts? Is that what you want? Does an initial reaction to a trade - that I’ll admit had a little emotion in it (in real-time, like a game thread) warrant the overly critical response? Can’t you just disagree and keep it from being personal?

So in summary, so what if I don't like the trade? Why the personal shots at people? Why the passive aggressiveness? The ORG is better than that.

Again, I apologize to the board for carrying this any further and it will be the last I post on this subject again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why all the hubbub because someone states their opinon?
    Can I ask you the same question?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

"Walks a bunch of guys."

His walk rate is exactly Major League average for relief pitchers, Doug. Major League average and his walk rate are both 3.53 per nine innings.

And his career K-Rate is in the double digits. Clearly he can strike guys out. Whether he will continue to do so is an unsettled question.
    He clearly COULD strike guys out. His strikeout rate is less than half of what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Dick Glass
    I don't think that's his actually name, but I don't disagree.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?