Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Jonathan Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Can I ask you the same question?
    Those of you who want answers why some of us think it's an overpay need to answer the question, that is where things kicked off. I left my opinion for future reference and then all of a sudden I/we was freaking out to hear some tell it and basically forcing us to back up our opinion.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    57% (56.6%) groundball rate plays well in GABP. And his HR/9 is tied to his career low in a season mainly because he doesn't give up many flyballs.

This is exactly the kind of reliever you need in GABP.
    It's begging the question that he can continue to do those things going forward.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think that's his actually name, but I don't disagree.
    david, dick - with him it's the same difference

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Ok, I apologize in advance to the board, but I have to respond to this.

What "posts"? What "others"? You are all over the place with this.

For the record, I haven't accused anyone of anything.

I don’t agree with the trade. It’s that simple. Doesn’t mean I think I know more than Walt. Doesn’t mean I think the “sky is falling”. Doesn’t mean I’m “hand-wringing” or “freaking out”. I just don’t agree and think we overpaid. No biggie. Also, I think Ondrusek could have been replaced by Hoover and Bray by Joseph. I’ve been beating that drum for a while now. I think that would have been a better alternative than going after Broxton. You don’t agree? Fine. I’m not mocking your opinion. I’m not belittling you with hyperbole.

There’s another thread where we’ve been discussing the future of the board and IMO this is one of the problems with it. We have too many posters that feel they have to moderate threads with what they think is appropriate and what is not appropriate. Do we want groupthink? Do we want an echo where everyone parrots the same thoughts? Is that what you want? Does an initial reaction to a trade - that I’ll admit had a little emotion in it (in real-time, like a game thread) warrant the overly critical response? Can’t you just disagree and keep it from being personal?

So in summary, so what if I don't like the trade? Why the personal shots at people? Why the passive aggressiveness? The ORG is better than that.

Again, I apologize to the board for carrying this any further and it will be the last I post on this subject again.
    Like I said, if you have a problem, take it up privately and I'll discuss it. This is the second time I've stated that.

Please ask yourself your own questions and take it up with me privately when you have an answer, if you want to discuss it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Somebody works fast on wiki.

Jonathan Roy Broxton[1] (born June 16, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Those of you who want answers why some of us think it's an overpay need to answer the question, that is where things kicked off. I left my opinion for future reference and then all of a sudden I/we was freaking out to hear some tell it and basically forcing us to back up our opinion.
    No one is forcing you to do anything. But I honestly don't get what points you're making. This is a place for discussion, after all. If you have an opinion, don't you expect that some will disagree and say as much?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    My quick opinion: 1) Possibly an overpay, and 2) I don't particularly care. I don't think Joseph is destined to be an elite major-league closer or setup guy, and I can't remember the last time a team seriously regretted trading a 24-year-old minor-league future middle reliever. I'm sure it's happened, but the odds are in the Reds' favor here.
    This, this, and this. The "zOMG overpay" is pretty funny, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He clearly COULD strike guys out. His strikeout rate is less than half of what it used to be.
    Yes it is. And he's also coming off surgery and many reports have stated his velocity has been slowly returning. You showed yourself that his strikeout rate has gotten better as the year has gone on.

So what's to say he won't wind up pitching better as his arm strength continues to return? After all, he has a track record that is better than most. At one time, he was (arguably) the best reliever in the game. I doubt he'll get back to that point, but if he gets back to even a fraction of what he once was, he'd be quite the asset.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I like it. Add depth to the pen and allows Chapman to get some rest. The Reds bot Broxton for two minor league relievers. Remember Zack Cy Stewart, Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, etc? Guys are a dime a dozen.
    Good post. This board almost went down in flames the day when Cy Young Zach Stewart was traded for Rolen. Jocketty had to do something. Appears the market for a bat was too high. I'm OK with that. Maybe we will still get that bat in Overbay to bolster the bench and fill in at 1st. Strengthening the pen is what you do when you have young, unproven starters and want to lockdown the last 3-4 innings.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Like I said, if you have a problem, take it up privately and I'll discuss it. This is the second time I've stated that.

Please ask yourself your own questions and take it up with me privately when you have an answer, if you want to discuss it.
    I have nothing to say to you that can't be shared with the board.

I figured this would be your response and am glad the board could see it.

Last post on this I promise.

As for Broxton, his K rate has gone from 13.5 to 10.5 to 7.1 to 6.3. To go along with a 1.50 WHIP the past 111 innings, this is somewhat concerning. Hopefully he gets his act together coming back to the NL.

Don't really have a problem with the trade. Fact is despite how the pen has thrown this year
    they are relatively untested when it comes to the playoffs and we just added a player who's thrown
    in the playoffs in three different seasons. Is broxton a great upgrade statistically over what the Reds have? Maybe not, but as they say you can't buy experience. Or maybe you can.

nm

I think its an overpay because I've seen Broxton pitch this season - he isn't that good fellas. Really, his best stuff was in his Dodger years. The old smoking fastball is gone. He throws a "heavy" (sinking) fastball now that does get groundballs, but his control is spotty at best. It's very Arredondo like. That 3.53 average isn't level - like averaged out 3 and half per nine. It's very much 3 or 4 in a row on off nights and then a good night. So you have good Jonathan and bad Jonathan and you never know which one you'll get. Consistency is the big issue. I'd say 2 out of 3 times he'll get the job done easy and then he'll scare the daylights out of you but still get it done and then he'll just barf all over himself the next time. He still does have a flash of that old fire once in a while when he reaches for it but it comes at a price -overthrowing - and he's as likely to get hammered as strike a guy out. He hasn't been horrible at all, just inconsistent enough to be unreliable. Is he getting stronger? Didn't seem so to me but then I don't see him every game either. I watch maybe half as many Royals as Reds games. I don't hate the trade but losing 2 prospects for 2 months of Broxton seems an overpay to me. Now, if he gets a big out or two in the playoffs I'll love it and it will be worth every game Donnie Joseph ever pitches for Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Sorry if this was already discussed, I'm late to the game, but what is the deal with this...
    Awesome, Votto can protect Votto! Oh crap. Votto will have to be split up though....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I have nothing to say to you that can't be shared with the board.

I figured this would be your response and am glad the board could see it.

Last post on this I promise.

As for Broxton, his K rate has gone from 13.5 to 10.5 to 7.1 to 6.3. To go along with a 1.50 WHIP the past 111 innings, this is somewhat concerning. Hopefully he gets his act together coming back to the NL.
    You're trying to make this a personal issue. Why should that be shared with the board? You're glad the board could see that I'm trying to keep from this becoming a public urinating match? That's strange, to say the least.

Anyhow, I guess I'll put the ignore function to use. Have a good day.

Turn Off Ads?